cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12vdc RF controlled switches w/learn switch

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are quite a few folks here that like to tinker with cool stuff like using the little RF switches on ebay. My first use was to control a WP, LED strip under our top step. It was a few years back and the transceiver was a single circuit unit with one transmitter that had a telescoping antenna. We boondock and often use campgrounds that are without utilities, so it was cool if we had been out, to be able to turn on a step light from the car when we returned.

I do need to buy another setup and looked them up on ebay. Now most of them come with two fobs that look like a OEM vehicle fob and you can buy just a fob or just the transceiver. They come in multiple channel or single channel and most 433 htz transceivers come with learn buttons just like garage door openers.

I need a new system for the towed doorlocks and with a three or four channel fob and single channel transceiver of the correct frequency, I could control the doorlocks, under step light on the RV and my garage door opener.

How many ideas do you guys have?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
7 REPLIES 7

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't like that nearly all these FOBs run on coin battery. Have found one that requires no battery 12V RF switch. Comes with Velcro, but this profile would look weird on the wall.

Hard to understand from the photos, but this looks like an on-off rocker switch, not a momentary button. Reviews are useless because they are all about 110V version. Has anybody seen anything similar, possibly with flash-mounted plate and switch?

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i am using a 8 channel ebay rf relay switch for selecting speeds on my self built vent fan on my rv using a 12v car radiator fan.
it is connected to a speed controller and the 8 channel switch connects different trim pots to the speed controller to switch speeds and turn it off.
on the highest speed it can suck the door shut i open a window at the front of the rv and it it blows the air out the back it cools it off fast.
the lowest speed is a very gentle breeze through the window.
i bought the 8 channel switch with 3 remotes 1 i have on the wall next to the bed for easy access at night.
the relay switch board and the speed controller are inside the ceiling by the fan and i use a lighted master power switch to turn off the fan controls when its not being used.
i also use rf remote control light dimmers to control my ceiling lights and led strip lights under the kitchen cabinets.
on some of the remotes i used Velcro to mount them to the wall but still be able to detach them and use them elsewhere.

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
I use three of them. One controls the ceiling fan in my bathroom. One opens and closes that vent's cover (I bought a motorized version of the original vent) and one controls my inverter. The inverter is in the pass through and I don't want to go outside everytime I turn it on and off. For the two for the ceiling vent, I cracked open the fob case and hard wired a momentary switch into it that matches the RV wall switches. Then I just dropped the fob with the wires into the empty wall behind the switches. The control for the inverter is the original fob, velcroed to the panel where I keep my remotes for the TV and radio, etc.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
i do not think they should be used for door locks or a garage door as they are not very secure would be easy to hack in to they are not like the garage door remotes that now use rolling code technology to secure them.

Okay, what might you use one for?

One member wanted an on off switch for a ceiling light in his bedroom. No wall switch in his rig, I suggested one of these because it would fit in the space between the roof and ceiling. Fob could be mounted with Velcro near bed and/or on wall by entry.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Hoppy220
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up one that I use to control back up lights on my camper. Programmed it to the garage door opener button in the TV. Works well one button for lights on the rear, one button for DS light shining behind DS trailer tires, one button for same NDS light. Works well.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i do not think they should be used for door locks or a garage door as they are not very secure would be easy to hack in to they are not like the garage door remotes that now use rolling code technology to secure them.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I've thought of using one of those with my old Fantastic fan so I can turn it off or on in the night without getting out of bed.