cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All my mods:-)

rsqfyrmedic
Explorer
Explorer
Over a year of reading, researching, saving and preparing for the trip of a lifetime. 8500 towing miles from Miami to New Orleans, Carlsbad Caverns, Four Corners, Phantom Ranch at the GC, GC Caverns, Hoover Dam, San Diego, PCH to San Fran, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore then family/friend stops in TN and NC. Ending up on the water at Beverly Beach before heading back to Miami. Thanks to all for the inspiration for most of these mods. Going to be boondocking at Wally World for at least 6 nights and we needed a secure way to take the generators so I had a welder friend make this up

He also welded up one of my favorite mods; undercarriage picnic table racks.......

and a spare tire carrier I picked up at a junkyard to a new battery tray

To maximize storage I made some adjustable shelving for this very tall and mostly useless cabinet by the door

(Did the same to the medicine cabinet in the bathroom and added this very useful mod there...

and it lead to the kitchen....

and I looked into the cabinet up there....

Wire shelving makes it easy to see what's up there....

but the kitchen still has very little counterspace so.....

added a flip up counter.....(those two were the DW's favorites along with these.....

that I modified from the IKEA 3 drawer set (some paint scratched off)

We LOVE to wind down with Disney movies for the kids but hated the sound of the cheap tv that came with the rig so we upgraded the TV and added a refurbished sound bar that we got at Tiger Direct for $40 ...it sounds great!

Moving outside....I added pegboard to the storage area....

Picked up some cheap license plate cameras from amazon....

and wired it under the rig and into the truck....

(Wireless would've worked but the monitor I used had no way of manually switching between inputs and there was no way of changing the frequency on the two cameras so I just switch them when I hookup or disconnect.....

Also picked these up on Amazon for securing the storage area

Found a little hidden space above my tanks....just cut a clear plexiglass laminate but a thin sheet of plywood will work just as well...

I lost my stinky slinky storage when I upgraded the bumper for the generators so I picked up the great idea with the fence post....

and finished up with LED lighting under the awning and changing every bulb inside to LED

Whew!.....Good luck with these....We'll be on the road soon so I hope to see you out there!....be safe!
17 REPLIES 17

rsqfyrmedic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Marly.....that's a new 1/8" steel bumper which is as thick as the Ibeam for my rig....we didn't see the point in going with anything thicker as the I Beam would still be thinner...It's plenty reinforced with a 1/4" steel plate underneath the welds...I jumped onto it with my pal and rocked up and down hard....absolutely no flex (we're almost 4oolbs combinded....but I'm going on a diet;) )

Wish I could take credit for the propane tank storage idea but I saw it on the internet with a wood shelf....it's where the poster put his stinky slinky but I'll store small accessories there.

We're going to be extra careful with the spare....it removes extremely easily if we don't think we'll clear. Thanks again all!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very clever -- it never dawned on me that I could use the area over my propane tanks and under the cover as a mini-storage area -- well done!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Old Duck wrote:
Like others, love the genny mount. Your buddy could be making a bunch of these if he wanted. Enjoy Beverly Beach, it's one of our favorites. While in Newport, Or check out Nanas Irish Oub. Awesome Rubens

And be sure to go to the Chowder Bowl in Nye Beach ( just N of Newport) for the best seafood on the OR coast.

Great mods. Enjoy the trip.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

marly
Explorer
Explorer
Rsqfyrmedic, Most camper rear bumpers are notoriously flimsy. They tend to break off where they are welded to the rear of the frame. With that much extension and weight oscillating up and down you may find yours dragging on the highway. Please extend the carrier brackets foward to a crossmember to reinforce the bumper also reincorce the bumper tube. I have broken my bumper doing similiar to yours with only bicycles on the carrier. Marlan

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Very nice and nicely done.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, love the genny mount. Your buddy could be making a bunch of these if he wanted. Enjoy Beverly Beach, it's one of our favorites. While in Newport, Or check out Nanas Irish Pub. Awesome Rubens
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Not much clearance on the spare tire. :h
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Copper_Penny
Explorer
Explorer
nice job, love the genny mount.

Denis, Linda, Jennifer & Monte (Shih-Poo)

2010 Ford F-150 Lariat,6.5'box,4WD,5.4L, Max tow package,3.73 Gears,11,100 tow capacity.
2007 Kodiak 21QS Queen Bed solid rear slide,4000lbs,gvwr 6000lbs
Husky Weight Distribution Hitch.

rsqfyrmedic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.....Thomas/NH ....the grill just rides there and comes off at the CG...might keep it in the bed or storage area depending how the truck handles while towing all that back there...it's a little heavy. No problems bottoming out the foot/spare yet, the rig is a 31' (fingers crossed but thanks for the reminder...will definitely scope out the entrances as much as possible.)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Great mods!
I really like the picnic table rack, that would be convenient.

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Good work
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome! Very impressed and inspired!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Keith_Haw
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. Love the genny mount.

Just a word of caution about GC Caverns, if you or anyone in your group has an allergy to sulfur you might want to skip it. You can smell it when you enter but we never thought anything about it. Took my family there several years ago and the wife has them. She spent the next couple days very sick in bed. Just a heads up. Enjoy your trip.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good.....have a good adventure!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !