cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone buy or make a kitchen island for more counter space?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the fifth wheels and TTs have such a tiny bit of counter space, which has forced us to eliminate 70-80% of them.

Has anyone bought or made a kitchen island for more counter space? Or any other ideas will be appreciated.

We cook together every day from scratch, so together, we need a good bit of counter space for cutting, chopping, as we do a lot of stir-fries.

Most of the trailers with the wrap kitchens are on the long side and we would prefer to keep down the length.
47 REPLIES 47

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Found these on E-bay portable kitchen island

Wow!! Those are gorgeous!!! Should fit in very well with the darker wood of the newer trailers!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Found these on E-bay portable kitchen island
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

mmp3823
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted more counter space and had a good spot for thisKitchen cart when the slides were out. Then we secure it when we are travelling. We got a color that matched better with our cabinets.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
Mookiecat,
Instead of screwing around looking for modifications\add-ons to a trailer you haven't bought yet look for something like this if you're worried about counter space >>>Sundance SD3000MK

When it comes to RVing you will adapt no matter what you have.
The more things you have to haul around and set-up the less you will enjoy your new trailer.
Chances are if you buy some sort of table thinking you need it you won't use it anyway.
Just remember the more counters and shelves you have the more items you will have sitting out taking up space.
If you fall in love with RVing you will see it takes more than one RV purchase to figure out what you really want\need.

You'll know when you walk into the right trailer...it will just feel right no matter what.

Thanks! That looks pretty close to what we are looking for...I have the 2900 on my list of 5'ers to view tomorrow.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Great post. We downsized and lost sme counter space and have been looking my self. What I cant figure out is why so many have an adversion to putting asink cover on an use that space. Take it off when done.

You are right. We have been to way too many rv shows or dealers lately. We can note that a lot of the newer RV's have a solid surface counter. The have under mount sinks and stoves so that the cut out sits in evenly with the counter and makes more counter space than anyone could need.

Mookiekat...until you make up your mind what type of RV you need, you won't find one you like. To be honest, counter space is an item that would be lower on the scale of what most RV ers would be looking for in an RV.

You can always make counter space for prep, use a fold up table, the kit table, I have a wooden butcher block over my stove, sink cover,even a tray on the couch would work. The best idea is to cook outside.

waterloverconsu
Explorer
Explorer
I got this:

kitchen cart

fits in the area between the slides and is the same height as the existing counter.

Kathy
roamin' the US with 3 Aussie-dogs

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Mookiecat,
Instead of screwing around looking for modifications\add-ons to a trailer you haven't bought yet look for something like this if you're worried about counter space >>>Sundance SD3000MK

When it comes to RVing you will adapt no matter what you have.
The more things you have to haul around and set-up the less you will enjoy your new trailer.
Chances are if you buy some sort of table thinking you need it you won't use it anyway.
Just remember the more counters and shelves you have the more items you will have sitting out taking up space.
If you fall in love with RVing you will see it takes more than one RV purchase to figure out what you really want\need.

You'll know when you walk into the right trailer...it will just feel right no matter what.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
"Nice counter space! Where is the counter of the second photo?"
Directly opposite of the sink countertop. The countertops are panels that are available at any lumber superstore. I dressed them up with some edge-banding.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Great post. We downsized and lost sme counter space and have been looking my self. What I cant figure out is why so many have an adversion to putting asink cover on an use that space. Take it off when done.

The gas cooktop in our unit has a cover over it. Makes for a larger workspace to make sandwiches.

Then, the large cutting board that sits there can be placed over half the sink when I need more space on one side of our Island. Nothing special, bought it at BB&Beyond.

It's really all about being creative and walking slowly through BB&B, Target, Kitchen Stores to find a solution to a problem.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Collapsible island on wheels

Found this (there is a wooden version, also) in a catalog I got the other day. Collapses to 5" wide, so it would be easy to stow somewhere while you are on the road. Has locking wheels to move it around....

Bit pricey, but what do you want to pay for convenience?
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

waltfire
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a kitchen cart from bed bath and beyond for $79. It works great, spice rack on side towel bar on the other. Storage inside, with cutting board on top. It also is on wheels. I usually leave next the wall with my coffee pot on it. I roll beside the dining table and lock the wheels when traveling.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
These countertops are in my 24' TT:

You asked for mods......:B

Nice counter space! Where is the counter of the second photo?

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
These countertops are in my 24' TT:

You asked for mods......:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
Yes. The one we have is similar to The Amazon clicky
My handle to raise and lower is different though. No wheel locks but haven't noticed a problem with rolling around while using it.

Thank you! This is very encouraging! Now we can think in terms of supplementing what is there with a small island. That opens up more options, as it has been difficult to find one with a lot of counter space in the middle price and length range.