cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Sun Protection

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently completed a DIY awning sun protection project that I'm excited to share. I have it on a google photos shared album that I hope all can see. It is here, and I invite you to take a look. Read the comments on all the photos to get the full story of how I developed this.

This is my first attempt at sharing a project like this using a shared google photo album. I would love to hear from you, either about the awning project OR about your experience viewing it on the shared google photo album.

Thanks,

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
19 REPLIES 19

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sun out here in the desert is brutal, so I bought a roll of 6" wide Eternabond and laid it out on the top of the rolled up awning. It doesn't completely cover the sun affected area but it protects the most sun affected area. It has remained very flexible and everyone knows that once you put it down, it takes a nuclear explosion to get it off.
RVing since 1995.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
I've seen a lot of DIY awning covers over the years (even made one myself) but this is the best idea I've seen because you can drive with it and it will stay on in high wind while parked.

Years ago I made a cover from vinyl gutter pieces and it worked fine, but when we moved to a windier area, I could not use it anymore.

Very, very good idea.

Thanks for your kind words, Ron3rd! I have to admit, there was a point at which I almost gave up on it. When the adhesive was failing and I had to climb up on a makeshift ladder at a roadside rest area to remove it, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it work. It looks like all that's behind me now. I hope others who want to do this can learn from my experience.

-Speak

Bottom line its, you've come up with a brilliant idea, one that I'm going to take advantage of.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I've seen a lot of DIY awning covers over the years (even made one myself) but this is the best idea I've seen because you can drive with it and it will stay on in high wind while parked.

Years ago I made a cover from vinyl gutter pieces and it worked fine, but when we moved to a windier area, I could not use it anymore.

Very, very good idea.

Thanks for your kind words, Ron3rd! I have to admit, there was a point at which I almost gave up on it. When the adhesive was failing and I had to climb up on a makeshift ladder at a roadside rest area to remove it, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it work. It looks like all that's behind me now. I hope others who want to do this can learn from my experience.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer

Very, very good idea.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Well - time for an update on the strengths and weaknesses of this mod after a full season of use.

It worked out mostly the way I wanted it to, but there were two main problems.

Problem #1 was that the adhesive holding the velcro to the awning eventually failed.

Problem #2 was that it was trapping water. The sunbrella wrapped entirely around the rolled-up awning, and any water that made it into the rolled up awning stayed there.

I corrected both problems this week. I got some double-sided 3M outdoor mounting tape to stick to the awning. I spoke to the people at the company and they assured me it would work. I also cut the awning cover shorter so that it does not go all the way under the rolled-up awning. That way water will not get trapped.

-Speak

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work.
Now, if there was only a way to stop that rust going on your roof from the rain collar on that stove pipe, lol. Actually, I had a similar situation and ended up painting the stacks.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like your idea, not only does it protect from sun damage but tree limb damage as well. Mine was scraped by a tree limb before I bought it. I coated the pin hole leaks with acrylic coating to stop the leaks which lasted for about 5 years. I was thinking along the same lines to repair the leaks. If you can figure out a way to permenatly attach the material I think you can double your awning life.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer

Please follow up with a report on how it works on the highway
Thanks,Mike

OK - here's the follow-up. The velcro held fast throughout a 300-mile highway trip.

Unfortunately, the weak point is the adhesive attachment of the velcro to the vinyl awning material. From repeated extension and retraction of the awning over a 4-day period, there are a couple of spots where the adhesive is failing and pulling away from the awning. I will repair these spots with some plastic cement. I suspect there may be future failures of the adhesive in spots of stress as well.

-Speak

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
You did a fine job, but I'm not sure sun damage is a big enough concern to justify the time, effort, and expense. I replaced the then 16 year old awning fabric on our previous coach due to stains and a couple of tears from falling branches. The fabric itself was still in good shape otherwise. The cost was about $200 at the time. The now 15 year old fabric on our current coach is also in good shape other than a

couple of minor stains that seem to be bleach/cleaner resistant.

I will be replacing our slide topper fabric this year though, due to stretching and sagging.

I found CAMCO Awning Cleaner will take any and all stains that other cleaners won't. And yea everyone says it's the same ingredients of household cleaners but they don't have to put ALL the ingredients on the label. IMHO they've got something in there that really works on RV awnings.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
popeyemth wrote:
Can't read your comments by the pics

Hmmm. I wonder why not. Did you click on the pictures? Do you see little "comment" icons showing on the pictures?

-Speak

Must have been a connection issue seems to work fine for me now
Please follow up with a report on how it works on the highway
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Do you remove it to tow?

The intent is that it stays in place all the time. I haven't towed with it yet, so that is subject to a real-world test. But the velcro should be more than adequate to keep it in place while towing. I'll let you know!

-Speak

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Do you remove it to tow?

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I like it, it is definitely worth the time especially if your rig stays outside all the time.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
You did a fine job, but I'm not sure sun damage is a big enough concern to justify the time, effort, and expense. I replaced the then 16 year old awning fabric on our previous coach due to stains and a couple of tears from falling branches. The fabric itself was still in good shape otherwise. The cost was about $200 at the time. The now 15 year old fabric on our current coach is also in good shape other than a couple of minor stains that seem to be bleach/cleaner resistant. I will be replacing our slide topper fabric this year though, due to stretching and sagging.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate