cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing Drum brakes to Disc brakes on a 8000lb fifth wheel?

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried to change the electric drum breaks to hydraulic Disc breaks on their fifth wheel. I just completed this task on my 10000lb boat trailer I like it so well I was going to do it with my fifth wheel but I am not sure that the axles will take the disc break kit. I called about it and told them I have Dexter axles they were not sure they would fit. I am going to us a Electric over hydraulic actuator my only concern is that the axles are some how different on my fifth wheel than they are on the boat. Anybody out there that has done this?

Thanks to anyone that can help
Ray
14 REPLIES 14

stevenann
Explorer
Explorer
We just had Kodiak Disc. Brakes installed at the Trailer Shop in Lancaster, PA. If you search Southwest Wheel Co. / Derrick Sweeden / Kodiak Disc. Brakes on You Tube they have a four part how to series.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Very little. I've had my Jordan adjusted so the trailer brakes lead the truck brakes a little bit and that cuts down on the delay. I prefer having a little delay and better brakes than what I had with the drum setup. I only drove it 10 miles to be sure they worked before we go to Socal for Thanksgiving. I will bleed them again before we go, to be sure air isn't a problem. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any delay?
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
The folks at Mor/Ryde might be able to help with this project
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I wasn't sure if I'd ever get this job finished. It took 3 tries to get a Carlisle actuator to me, undamaged. Anyway, it stops a lot better and I can put black streaks on the road and smoke the tires now. Craig

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
You also need to have the 5 bolt pattern - brake plate to axle flange. I shopped around and it came down to Kodiak. Dexter was way $$$ and Titan claimed to have 13" 8k discs but they aren't available yet. You used the Dexter actuator on your boat trailer but what brand disc kit did you use? Try calling Titan in Ia. They have a guy who has a Kodiak stand at Quartzite but he sells Kodiak disc parts and their actuator (I think brakerite) with a line kit but I don't know how much of the line kit is rubber and how much is steel. Probably a lot of rubber cuz not everybody can do double flare. Craig

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The napa guy tried to talk me into the poly coated lines saying they bent better but I use plain steel cuz I had to silver solder on the correct ends to connect to the hoses. I only used hoses to each caliper. The Parker store had the generic hoses already made up (cheaper) but they were 37ยฐ regular flare. The plain steel was a breeze to bend and double flare. I have a Carlisle actuator coming. The first one was damaged. I found out dexter 5200 - 8k uses the same spindles and inner brgs. I tossed my notes but I think my inner brgs are 25580 and the outers are (8k) 02475. I had to buy the 8k outer brgs. The 8k Kodiak hub/rotors came with oil covers and I'm using them - no more packing! I'll send pics if you PM me with a contact. Craig

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Craig I used rubber lines in the boat. Any time you can use rubber on a boat I always do. It doesn't rust or corrode. I am not sure what I will use for brake lines in the trailer. How hard was it working with the stainless? Are they braided lines? if so that has to be way cool. What actuator did you use? I used the Dexter and am very pleased with it. I have however hit a snag with my fifth wheel come to find out they are not Dexter axles they are Kober axles. I need to find out the spendel size and now that's becoming a pain in the butt. Please let me know how yours turns out. I was expecting the whole change over to cost me about 2k

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about 2/3 done with my Kodiaks on dexter 8 lug 6k axles. The 8 lugs/16" wheels allowed the 8k/13" rotors. ~$1800 by the time I'm done, from etrailer and I made up all the lines cuz I wanted steel instead of rubber hoses. The cost of that stuff floored me! Steel lines are cheap, the fittings and 4 - 18" hoses to the calipers $173. 3/16 x 1/4 reduction fitting weren't available so I had to silver solder some things together to get what I needed. What did you use for lines on your boat trailer? Craig

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Check with www.redneck-trailer.com

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chris I went to that sight but it's not what I had in mind. I have never seen disc breaks like that I am not even sure if they are hydraulic or electric. The main reason that won't work is the price..... HOLY MOLY 1000.00 bucks per tire. Now something is wrong with that picture for sure... The actuator alone is going to cost about 800.00 dollars if you add that to the price of those breaks the whole job will be well in excess of 5k. I did my boat same size axles for 2k of course I do realize if I can't get the Zodiacs to fit its a mute point but thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep Scott I figured it has been done many times and lots of folks have done it. That's why I was hoping that one of them would be able to help me with it. You know like give me the name of the dealers that are experts on this. I am not taking it to a shop I am doing it myself so I need a parts house that knows RV trailers. I have called many parts places they all know boat trailers not RVs So if just one of the thousands of people that have done this wouldn't mind sharing the source of their parts dealer I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your Reply

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a Dexter kit- http://www.dexteraxle.com/disc_brake_retrofit_kits1, and it will be easy peasy.
-- Chris Bryant

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's been done many times. As long as you get a kit that's specific to your axles, it will work.
If the vendor doesn't know if his kit will work, move on to another that knows RV's better - there are many.