cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

convert grill from bottle to quick connect

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a grill that runs on the small bottles and i would like to convert it to use the quick connect. Is this possible and what parts would I need beyond the hose? Photos attached.
Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a closer pic of the reg. It's low rez, but if you look closely where the alloy body of the regulator is and the brass piece attaches to it, it looks like that would have to be a threaded connection and you can see a little pipe dope showing.

You would need to leave the brass fitting in place on the tube above it that has the holes in as that is where the fuel and air would mix together. It's a case of just removing the alloy body of the regulator and finding a suitable valve or as someone suggested, running full on or off.

The 2nd pic shows the type of control valve you want. This is a Camco item. Looks like you might be able to modify it with the right fittings. The valve in the 3rd pic is made by Magma. I would google "LP propane gas control valve" and see what you can find. Or go to a local BBQ shop and see if they can help.

The easy part is finding a hose with quick connect fittings. This grill appears to be a bit of an oddball for doing a conversion to it. Might be easier and possibly cheaper to find say a Weber Q100 which is straightforward to modify. If you are not familiar with working with propane fittings, get a professional to do it.

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
If you have a quick connect propane supply on your RV (like my Roadtrek does), then all you need is this hose. Works perfectly fine on my quick connect and screws right into the regulator that accepts the small gas bottles.

doesn't that give 2 regulators?

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a quick connect propane supply on your RV (like my Roadtrek does), then all you need is this hose. Works perfectly fine on my quick connect and screws right into the regulator that accepts the small gas bottles.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the control valve setting you use now.

In my case I had always used my grill with control valve full open.

So I just removed the grill fitting from my control valve and adapted to a hose and fitting for the on/off quick connect valve that was on my trailer.

Just remember you will not have any control on the grill but as I stated in my case full flow has worked very well for me.

It may be possible to use the valve on the trailer to reduce the gas flow. I have not tried that as the pressure on my trailer is very low compared to the original grill regulator, I need full flow to get the heat I want from the grill.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search with the word Weber Q. I started this and yes you can I went to a propane shop and had all my stuff there also they cut a hose to my specs(any length) and you have to remove the regulator
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, should have looked at pictures closer. Your regulator is also your control so your LP source has to come from before regulator on RV. Bottom line you cannot double regulate.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
It can be done, however your BBQ already has a regulator so your LP source has to be unregulated. You would have to T before regulator on vehicle. The other option is to cut regulator off grill and solder fitting on input to grill. In this method supply to grill would come after source regulator. Hope this helps, have seen it done both ways.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is possible. You need to find a control valve that is non regulated.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I know you can get an adapter hose that will connect to a 20 lb tank. I am currently using one for the Mr Buddy Heater. The quick connect will have to be answered by someone else, but you could google something like propane quick connect adapter.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar