cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

digital thermostat

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20 year old trailer that has an old manual thermostat for the furnace. Can I just switch it out for a digital thermostat? I know I need to make sure it'll work with the number of wires currently at it.
22 REPLIES 22

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If it only controls the heater then you probably have only two wires to deal with. There is no high or low fan to worry about.

Make sure the thermostat you buy can use batteries like two AA or something.
Once you purchase your new thermostat pull the old one off the wall and count the wires. If there are only two wires this will work for you.

• Disconnect the two wires from the old T-Stat
  • Drill the mounting holes for the new T-Stat
  • On your new T-Stat the RC and RH wires will probably have a small jumper wire connecting them together
  • Leave jumper alone and add one of the wires from your RV to either the RC or RH, It doesn't matter which wire just pick one
  • Hook the other wire from the RV to the W terminal on the new T-Stat
  • Mount T-Stat on the wall, put batteries in and test it.

It really is that simple. It will probably take you more time to drill the two holes and hang it on the wall than it takes to wire it up.

Edit: just realized I didn't specify where to actually hook the first wire. It should go to either the RH or RC terminal and also keep the jumper in place.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will love the conversion as your temps will be more even.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Then it will be easy to do, swimmer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Piece of cake.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Yes, it's pretty straight forward but does that stat also control the AC?
If so you will lose the two speed fan function and will need to add a simple switch to get it back. Or just wire it so the fan is always on high speed.

You will like the new stat. They keep the temps much closer to the set-point than the old ones ever did.

Mine only controls the furnace.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it has been done by many of our members. See this post, with pictures to guide you, from our Do It Yourself Forum archives .
Honeywell digital thermostat conversion
Even if yours is not a Honeywell, most of the stats available, Hunter, Lux, Honeywell, etc all wire up pretty much the same way.
Hope this helps you out. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it's pretty straight forward but does that stat also control the AC?
If so you will lose the two speed fan function and will need to add a simple switch to get it back. Or just wire it so the fan is always on high speed.

You will like the new stat. They keep the temps much closer to the set-point than the old ones ever did.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
yes
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman