cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extra shower lighting

2000_Kiwi
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently building a house and in the meantime will be living in a Coachmen Chaparral 275rls.

I have been in it for a weak and there are a few things I want to change. One of the first is adding better lighting in the bathroom. The shower has a skylight that works great during the day but if I shower when it is dark it is very difficult to see. There is only a single light in the bathroom and when the shower curtain is closed it gets dark in the shower.

I thought about adding a standard RV light... I was searching for LED lighting and came across Automotive Lights that were small and bright.

At only L 6 3/4" x W 5/8" I was thinking I could put them on the other side of the skylight and use the opaque skylight as a light diffuser.

I was able to wire it in to the existing bathroom light in a matter of minutes. The nice thing is that the bathroom has a wall mounted switch that now operates both lights. Using double stick tape that was provided with the lights I attached them to the skylight framing in the shower.

It is very difficult to tell from the photos but they light up the entire shower VERY well. My wife was very pleased.... Happy wife, happy life....

Lights on Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00C1YI2XA

Existing Light

Existing Wiring

Close-up

Light Off

Light On - During the day and you can still see how well it lights up the walls.

Before

After
9 REPLIES 9

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Great idea and great job installing it....but the reason they don't do that is the moisture.

In time the water will corrode the fixture wire connections and I'm afraid you will be having problems with the connections. 12 volt is 12 volt and I'd also be afraid of a shock situation. Just saying.

I just added one of the thousands of different types of cheap battery operated stick ups. They corrode and I throw it out and get a new one.

I have wired 12 volt battery's up to bilge pumps attached to duck decoys using butt connectors. The line from the battery to decoy is submerged in brackish water for hours while hunting. After 5 years I have yet to have a problems with connections. I would think these lights being behind the sky light will be good for years to come. Yep 12 volt is 12 volt and the risk of shock even in water is very small.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

2000_Kiwi
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
We did something similar- using the waterproof strips- not a very good picture. Note that while this started as a shower skylight, the shower was removed ๐Ÿ™‚

With the longer strips it looks like you would get better light coverage...

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
We did something similar- using the waterproof strips- not a very good picture. Note that while this started as a shower skylight, the shower was removed ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

2000_Kiwi
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Great idea and great job installing it....but the reason they don't do that is the moisture.

In time the water will corrode the fixture wire connections and I'm afraid you will be having problems with the connections. 12 volt is 12 volt and I'd also be afraid of a shock situation. Just saying.

I just added one of the thousands of different types of cheap battery operated stick ups. They corrode and I throw it out and get a new one.

Good points....

The lights are waterproof automotive lights designed for outdoors, so corrosion and moisture issues should be minimal. If there is that much moisture above the skylight, I have bigger issues.

Has far as shock... The lines are fused with a maximum of 20amps.... Not not much to worry about there.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used a $5 LED licence plate light.

I bought a few of them, they also work well under cabinets, beds and furniture to light up the floor but not the room.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea...that should be standard or at least a factory option on all RV's with skylights in the shower.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

2000_Kiwi
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Cool idea!!!

Thanks! I was really shocked at how well it turned out. I think it worked better than if I would have just put them on the ceiling.

As a bonus, these lights are advertised as waterproof.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cool idea!!!