cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home Depot Allure vinyl floor

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Have been getting ready to pull the trigger on some Home Depot Allure flooring to replace old carpet. The flooring has stick-strips on the edge and looks very easy to install... BUT

When I went to one of the product pages and looked at customer questions, when asking if the Allure can be installed in an RV, a rep from Halstead Product (guess they are the manufacturers?) answers:

"Thank you for your question. No, because this is recommended for climate controlled ares with running heat and air year round between 65-85 degrees."

Has anyone who has installed Allure seen temp related issues? Since quite a few have installed this stuff, not sure why they are fussy about temps. One person opined in an "answer" about RV use that the cold could cause the tiles to become brittle and crack and the heat could cause the adhesive on the strips that join the tiles to let go... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike
40 REPLIES 40

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Arizona and almost always have low humidity. The package suggests not to use where humidity is less than 50%. I called the manufacturer and asked about that statement, the person said she had no idea, but if they put it on the instructions, you have to follow them, so we went with a real wood floor in our home. Didn't want to take the chance. I was going to buy enough to redo the Class c flooring when I did the house but didn't. Too much time and effort if that was a deal breaker for the humidity factor.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, never use a glue type of laminate floor. The key is that it MUST be allowed to free-float. If it can't freely move from thermal expansion and contraction, one or more joints can/will pull apart. Making it fully floating in an RV takes some effort. Cabinets and walls are very likely wonky or not parallel and you need to scribe the pieces before cutting them so that there is an even expansion gap all around. Where screws penetrate the flooring like at pedestal table flanges and door entry sills, you should make a hole large enough so the flooring can move around and not get "hung up". Same with toilet flange.

Sheet vinyl flooring and plastic based laminate planks have a high coefficient of thermal expansion. If you were to put your finger anywhere on the floor, as it shrinks, it will be pulling towards your finger in a 360 degree pattern. Put your finger in another spot and the two spots want to pull together. Same as what happens to concrete as it shrinks, leading to cracks. Because sheet flooring in RVs is stapled down around the perimeter and also has cabinetry screwed into the subfloor, when it's cold enough and shrinks, it pulls itself apart - especially at high stress points like floor vents where there are 90 degree corners in the material.

Westend mentioned a 1/4" expansion gap. Slightly less will probably be fine except it may be difficult to create an even gap (say 3/16") all around. Don't use caulk to fill the gap, as I've seen photos of online. A strip of 3/8" wood will work but may need to be run through a table saw. Note that flooring thickness may be an issue with the toilet gasket and you may need to use a wax one.

I installed 1/8" thick laminate flooring in our first TT that had an ABS core. Sold the TT to my BIL who's had it for 5 or so years in the interior of BC where it gets very cold in winter and hot in the summer. No planks have separated and he says it still looks like new. The cabinet doors where about 1/8" from above the sheet flooring and I had to raise all of them. Hardest part was getting an even expansion gap all around plus working on the hands and knees in a small trailer was painful... I used 3/8" oak as a baseboard and stained it to match the cabinetry under them and painted it biege against luan walls. Photos below. Original floor that looked like a 70s kitchen reno turned into a high-end looking TT. ๐Ÿ™‚

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
For floating floors, couldn't you use a compressible material around the edges instead of leaving an empty gap? (Under the trim)

After all, it only needs to give more enough to prevent buckling. I think a high density flexible foam could help secure the floor to help prevent separation from too much stress on the joints.

Basically a tension expansion joint.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
What I did for my travel trailer: Bought one of the cheaper vinyl laminated composite planks from Lumber Liquidators, on sale. It is 8MM thick, IIRC. Used a very high grade underlayment underneath the plank.

The problem with 8mm plus underlayment is the clearance for the slide to go in/out. We are looking at the vinyl planking at HD, Lowes and Costco, they are all in the 3.8 - 4.3 mm range.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We put the Allure flooring in our TT back in 2013. If you read the paperwork that comes in the box, it says it's unconditionally guaranteed for 25 years, unless it's installed in an RV in which case there is NO warranty.

The floor looked great for about a year, then the the seams started to separate. We were careful to let the floor float, and installed 1/4 round shoe molding around the edges to cover the expansion gap. I used a brad nailer to fasten the molding to the walls, not the floor. One problem is that the floor needs to be attached under the transition strip at the entry door. You want that edge secured so it's not a tripping hazard, so the floor can't float 100%.

With 5 seasons behind us, the floor still looks pretty good, but most of the seams have opened up at 1/16" gaps. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but a little dirt gets in between the tiles, and you can't clean it out because it attaches to the exposed adhesive.

The reason we replaced the floor to start with was because the sheet vinyl that came from the factory ripped in two after we got one of those "arctic blast" temp drops when we lived in Louisville. All the reviews I read said not to use Allure, it will separate, but it was what we could afford at the time.

So I saw the new EVP vinyl plank flooring that Big Kahuna referred to....we are getting to re-do the floor this winter and that's at the top of the list.

My thinking:
1. You want a floating floor, that's the best insurance against damage from temp changes.
2. Anything with adhesive is out, those glue strips on the Allure product just don't hold up in the RV.
3. Laminate flooring is too thick for under the slideout, plus uses a substrate with wood content, making it susceptible to water damage.

The EVP product is 100% vinyl, so no wood products and thus impervious to moisture. It's click-lock together, so it floats without adhesive, and at 0.16" thin enough not to be a problem with the slide clearance.

I can post some pics of the current Allure installation if you are interested.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I put 1200 SF of 1 year old Alure in the landfill located 10 miles north of Knoxville TN just off interstate 75. If you want it, it's yours. The seams came apart and it "puckered". Take a shovel.

I now have Pergo in the house and RV. I'm happy with it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
wiredgeorge wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
We redid our class A with Allure flooring, and had no problems. Just do not glue or staple it, as it needs to expand and contract some with the weather.

Has your RV sat in temps lower than 55 degrees and higher than 85 degrees when not in use? I am thankful that folks have chosen to answer and supply their opinions but I was really looking forward to hearing from someone who has actually used the stuff. I did read the manufacturer's warning about voiding the warranty if temps were out of range but not sure that I care about the warranty all that much. thanks wg
I operated a flooring installation company for about six years. Let me simplify this for you: Don't trust the adhesive on any flooring product.

Allure comes in two varieties: The edge adhesive version (Traffic master) and Allure Isocore. There may also be Allure Ultra in your area, both of these latter are a click-lock joint. The click-lock joint will be more durable and will separate less than the adhesive strip. Installation ease is a non-issue, both are easy to install.

Let me make a case against Allure since I researched it for my own trailer: When this product was first introduced about 8-10 yrs ago, there were reports of owners , their kids, and pets having bad reactions to offgassing of the material. Since most Allure was sold through Home Depot, the bad flooring was returned for a cash refund, easily, and just some grumbling occured. It was found that Allure was being made in Indonesia and was made from 25% recyclable material (maybe more). Allure saved the brand by limiting the content to 15% recyclables and cleaned up the Indonesia operation. Your guess as to how their vinyl is still being made.

What I did for my travel trailer: Bought one of the cheaper vinyl laminated composite planks from Lumber Liquidators, on sale. It is 8MM thick, IIRC. Used a very high grade underlayment underneath the plank.
It took me a day to install the flooring, my layout is fairly straight and square. The flooring looks like the day I installed it, six years ago.

About perimeter clearances. I've installed a lot of floating floors and the 1/4" rule can be lessened in most cases. I installed a composite plank in my Sister's house, two blocks off the ocean. It is wearing well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the adhesive edge version when we lived in Northern VA. Had several places where the end (short edge) opened up 1/8". None of my long edges opened. Since the edge opened that little, we still have a waterproof floor which cant be said for the engineered click type.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I installed some "wood look " stick on vinyl floor in our last truck camper and it shrunk quite a bit, I never put it together that the reason could have been from the extreem temp swings untill your post.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
wiredgeorge wrote:
Looks great. I know to let a space for expansion and thought to use 1/4" round above it to hide the gap. Did you consider this or is the gap just not noticeable enough to be an issue? Thanks wg

1/4 round will work fine. I used the pre-finished plastic stuff with a little profile. Just don't nail the 1/4 round through the vinyl. Either nail it to the sidewall or double-stick tape it to the flooring.

Like Frank said above, be fanatical about letting it float.

x3 going on 3 years in Rhode Island and still looks good as new !

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturers warning is IMHO a liability issue. There may be occassional issues with weather and movement in RVs and they don't want any warranty problems. Take the advise of the users here and go for it.
One thing I have heard is there may be some broken or cracked edges right out of the box. So pre-sort the planks so you use the broken ones for cuts.
Jesseannie

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
wiredgeorge wrote:
Looks great. I know to let a space for expansion and thought to use 1/4" round above it to hide the gap. Did you consider this or is the gap just not noticeable enough to be an issue? Thanks wg

1/4 round will work fine. I used the pre-finished plastic stuff with a little profile. Just don't nail the 1/4 round through the vinyl. Either nail it to the sidewall or double-stick tape it to the flooring.

Like Frank said above, be fanatical about letting it float.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Allure in our rig which is stored outside. Last winter's low temp was -30ยฐF. This spring no movement at all and it still looked as good as new. Of course I left 1/4" where the flooring meets the walls. DO NOT glue, let the floor float. We did not walk on it during the winter. I am very pleased with the product.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

Fputnam
Explorer
Explorer
We also did our Class A with the Allure flooring. Loved it. One cautionary note though. Be fanatical about letting the floor float (ie be able to move). If it is in any way movement restricted it will separate leaving an unsightly gap or two. Don not nail it or screw it to the floor. Cut, leaving space at walls, floor cabinets and out side corners and you'll be fine. We have had it in freezing weather and 100 degree plus weather and had no problems. Go for it!

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I've had Allure in the coach for 3 seasons now, stored outside in New England and it hasn't moved. It looks as good now as it did when I put it down in April. We've already been down into the 20s which is as cold as it gets here.

IMHO, you have problems with Allure or any vinyl when you don't let it float. I made sure there was an 1/8th inch space all the way around and I didn't nail or screw anything through the vinyl into the subfloor. I cut around things like the TV cabinet, the copilot seat and the couch legs and mounting brackets, and I used double stick tape to stick down the molding. I put red rosin paper between the subfloor and the vinyl as well.

This is what it looked like right after installation. Looks the same now. You can see the space inder the TV cabinet on the right where I put it up on 1X2s and cut around them.

wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike