cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Led Bulbs

aihchris107
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Monaco Knight. Are there replacement led bulbs available to replace the 10 watt 12 volt halogens now in use.Also can I replace the stop,tail and directional bulbs to led. Are there any special modifications needed. When I changed the bulbs in my Harley I had to add a resistor. Thank You Chris S.
8 REPLIES 8

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is possible to get more light AND less current with today's LEDs
Here's my conversion.
Lots of info and lots of pics.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
filthy beast wrote:
Regarding interior LEDs, many have changer theirs. I bought mine from superbrightleds.com, other buy from eBay vendors or other suppliers. Do some searches.

Did you find LED replacements that you were happy with? My Allegro has 1156 bulbs inside, in every fixture. I bought a few LEDs from eBay and was really disappointed. Despite being "super white" they were blue and not as bright as the 1156. I'm looking for LEDs to brighten it up a bit as well as reduce power consumption.

I had 1141 bulbs that I replaced with these. The 1141 is a slightly dimmer bulb than the 1156 so you might like the 48 1210 panels. The 5050 leds are about 2x as bright and draw more current. A 24 5050 panel would also be a good match.

Be aware that there can be a wide variation between different sellers. While I have always received what I wanted from this seller, you might want to buy 1 or 2 and try them out before buying larger lots.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
filthy beast wrote:
Regarding interior LEDs, many have changer theirs. I bought mine from superbrightleds.com, other buy from eBay vendors or other suppliers. Do some searches.

Did you find LED replacements that you were happy with? My Allegro has 1156 bulbs inside, in every fixture. I bought a few LEDs from eBay and was really disappointed. Despite being "super white" they were blue and not as bright as the 1156. I'm looking for LEDs to brighten it up a bit as well as reduce power consumption.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

bananadanna
Explorer
Explorer
The real advantage of LED brake lights is that there is little of the lag time that incandescents take to warm up enough to glow. Maybe a car length difference at 60 mph to help give that poor driver behind you enough time to panic stop.
Dan
02 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 long tall home brew conversion

CEddy
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with the typical cheapy Bargman 92 series tail lights. I was never happy with the pitiful light they put out, so I replaced them with the Bargman LED 84/85 series.

The new lights' brake light function is VERY bright, which is what I wanted. Comes in handy when backing into a site at night, as I only have to tap the brakes to light up the area behind the trailer. They are also large enough to cover all the holes from my old tail lights.

The only downside was I had to mount a separate tag light/holder, but it wasn't a big deal.

Edit: I should have added, no resistors required for my application on the trailer. I also would not recommend installing the LED 'bulbs' in housings designed for incandescent bulbs, as the light pattern will not spread/reflect properly. I've seen folks in my area install those in their cars, and it turns their tail lights into a little dot of light behind the big lens.
2006 Coachmen 30TBS
2004 F-350 SRW PSD

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
There are led lights available for almost any 12v bulb. Do an eBay search for "led base type, color". In my case "led ba15s warm white" took me to many many suitable led lights as well as many unsuitable ones.

There are many many led threads on the forum. Do a search.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I would not bother changing the stop and tail lights to LED. The main purpose to go with LEDs on the interior lights is they draw much less power so your battery will last longer when dry camping. Basically all you need to do is find out what type of "base" or socket your lights require and order the appropriate type. Lots of good deals on these on Ebay, btw.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer

Stop and tail lights can be fitted with led bulbs, but there was an article in Trailer Life or Motorhome magazine that showed the replacement bulbs are not as bright as factory lights. I would replace the whole light assemblies that are designed to use LEDs.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.