cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Led Lights...

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Today I took the first step toward replacing my RV lights with LEDs.
I bought two LEDs to replace the lights nearest the kitchen living room area. I plugged them in and my first observation is that they are brighter than the old yellowish lights. Good light.
I'm replacing them one fixture at a time.
Pricey at $31.00 for two bulbs. (Bought at Dandy RV.)
I bought two to see how bright they are...
Work fantastic. No heat generated, not like the old incandescent bulbs.

This came about after camping at a campground that lost power for 18 hrs. during a tornado. I cut back to one light on and got by...
Motivation was to have at least one fixture with LEDs to use in emergencies. Should last a long time.

I may buy two a month till I change out all my lights. (Retired)
25 REPLIES 25

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there everyone!!! Like others who posted i too have been playing around with LED lights for years. I put those suckers everywhere!!! Inside the house, on ATVs, on RC airplanes, and of course inside our Toy Hauler.
We are avid campers and go out once or twice a month. Starting the generator because we ran the batteries down gets expensive. So i started building my own LEDs for the Toy Hauler.
I have made many versions of lights over the years. Finally have what i consider the most badass RV retrofit light you can buy in DEC of 2013. (you guys see how fast technology progresses)
Using CREE leds matched with components designed for the fluctuating voltage of RV/Auto charging systems.

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a slow learner. Despite reading posts on here giving me great advice about LEDs found on e-bay, I waited until the last minute before our summer trip to buy them. That left me paying a disgusting amount for 4 panels from my local RV dealer. The panels, packaged or manufactured by Next Wave, were bright and "warm" . Three of the panels have experienced partial failures. Last week I wanted to upgrade the rest of trailer to LEDs so I went to Amazon and ordered several different types. The ones I like best were 48 SMD panels which appear similar or the same as the ones referenced in the 2011_led link...but were about 7 bucks each. Don't make the same mistakes I did. These all seem very cheap, so you might as well buy them at the cheapest price.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
My LED write-up My EASY LED Upgrade
Bob

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Unlike many here, I (and my wife) do not like the yellow color of "warm white". In an older MH, it just makes everything look old and dingy. Of course, the blue tint of "cool white" is bad as well. "Bright white, or Daylight white" is what we ended up with and like, although everyone has their own preferences.

But I shudder when I read of those who are paying $15-20 each for LED replacements! I replaced every bulb in my MH, over 20 bulbs, for about $100 total, using Amazon & eBay. I've got at least twice the light output, at 1/5 the current.Here's my experience.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have to agree with all who suggest 2011_led as a great source. I bought a couple different types from him to test and they are as posted on eBay. The problem I have is the color, we just spent two weeks at the beach, this is the longest we have camped at one campground, ever and my DW had plenty of time to evaluate the LEDs. She is a quilter and uses OTT lights for that and I thought the bright white lights would make her happy. NOT! We have a lot of fixtures with two lamps in each fixture, If I have one LED and one incandescent or if both are incandescent the color is good for her, but just the leds, no. She has asked me to stop using the bright white LEDs both in the MH and the S&B.

So does anyone have a source as cheap as 2011_led with something in the 2800K to 3200K range.

I bought the warm white LEDs and to my eyes they are a very close match to the 1141 incandescent lamps I replaced. As I said before, buy a couple and try them before buying many.

Edit: I used the same panels that Ron3rd posted a link to.

X2 The 3200K range may even be more yellow than the original incandescent. I have these same panels mounted under clear glass and the illumination is very good.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have to agree with all who suggest 2011_led as a great source. I bought a couple different types from him to test and they are as posted on eBay. The problem I have is the color, we just spent two weeks at the beach, this is the longest we have camped at one campground, ever and my DW had plenty of time to evaluate the LEDs. She is a quilter and uses OTT lights for that and I thought the bright white lights would make her happy. NOT! We have a lot of fixtures with two lamps in each fixture, If I have one LED and one incandescent or if both are incandescent the color is good for her, but just the leds, no. She has asked me to stop using the bright white LEDs both in the MH and the S&B.

So does anyone have a source as cheap as 2011_led with something in the 2800K to 3200K range.

I bought the warm white LEDs and to my eyes they are a very close match to the 1141 incandescent lamps I replaced. As I said before, buy a couple and try them before buying many.

Edit: I used the same panels that Ron3rd posted a link to.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
LED's are a great improvement to the lighting system in an RV. But there isn't any reason to replace all the existing lamps with LED's. If your intent is to save energy when boondocking by replacing the lights with LED's, then only replace the lights you actually use 90% of the time. I replaced one floresent in the main area of the MH, another light over the couch where my wife reads and one in the bathroom. Any other lights are only used now and then especially when boondocking. Keeps the cost down to a manageable level.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
I have replaced all my coach light bulbs with LEDs I bought on eBay. Most cost between $3 and $5.

If you buy on eBay, buy 1 or 2 and try them before buying several. Not all venders are selling good stuff and their claims are sometimes not very accurate. I bought many of mine from 2011_LED and am happy with them.

What tenbear said; That's the ebay seller I went with. I got a 10 pack for $25. This seller is in China and ships from there. Takes about 10-14 days to get them. They carry all the popular sizes at low prices. Good seller with good feedback.

These are the panels I ordered:
LEDs on Ebay

Looks like they've gone up about 5 bucks for the 10 pack, but still a good deal.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced every light in our 5er with the SMD LED panels from E_Bay at about $2.00 to $3.00 each. In the kitchen area I put 2 panels for each bulb and also over the sofa & dining table. Talk about a lot more light and much lower temperature. Everyone who comes into our 5er is amazed and several have done the same. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than buying 1-2 leds to experiment with in your RV, I'd wait until closer to summer to buy in bulk as the price will be even lower then.
While you are at HD buying the $10 Cree led lights for your home, buy the two cree led flashlights like these for $10 (with batteries) and put one in every vehicle you own.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
badboy368 wrote:
so guess we should just look on e-bay for our led lights ?
Yes, best game in town. Order a couple in different color ratings, ie. cool white, warm white, etc. so you can assess the color differences, make a decision later, and then buy the total needed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
so guess we should just look on e-bay for our led lights ?
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer

I love the Cree lamps, our Mini-Halo recessed ceiling fixtures have the Cree floods in them and for general lighting or display lighting they are great. They do not do well as a reading or work light as they are not focused. I have one spot over the sofa and it needs to be a little brighter and doesn't compare to a 50 watt halogen spot for reading. More and more lamps are coming out and hopefully some good mini spots. The City of Los Angeles has gone to Cree street lights, not just lights but entire fixtures. Softer greyish light that is very close to moonlight but little glare and reduced reflection.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

westend
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
I was over at Harbor Freight and bought a flash light that has 27 large leds for $6 and some of these companies are selling replacement led lights for $2 or $3 each because they can.
Are you saying that the replacement lamp array for your flashlight is $2-$3? I'm not quite understanding the meaning of your post, sorry.

I use the Asian LED panels with SMD's. Cost was around $2-$3 per unit in different sizes, colors, and lumen rating. My battery voltage floats at 13.6 V and rises to 14.5 V, in absorption cycle. I haven't lost a single panel, to date.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC