cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Awning Poles

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to do these and I've had the stuff to do them for a while now just haven't taken the time until today. I followed the post on the Wildcat Forum but made my inner pole a foot longer than his due to my camper being so tall. Started out with a 10' stick of 2" schedule 40 PVC and 2 pieces of 1 1/2" PVC. I cut the 2" piece in half to give me 2- 5 foot sections. I then cut the 1 1/2" pieces each to a length of 6' long. I drilled a 1/2" hole 5" down from the top of the inner(1 1/2") piece for my anchor point. I then capped the outer(2") piece on the bottom and put the inner one inside. Drilled first hole through both sections, then removed inner and started from the first hole and drilled 3/8" holes every two inches down to two feet from the bottom. Re-inserted it and put the reducer on the top for the saddle. I cut the saddle flanges off with a mitre saw so they wouldn't touch the fabric on the awning. My saddles are going to be removable so that I can store them in my new storage tubes(another mod today and another thread-can be seen in last pic). I know they are not permanently installed but will do for my beach and lake trips! Thanks to the others for the idea.

Of course I don't have the tie downs shown as I was in my yard while doing this. I have ratchet straps and a set of tie outs(screw in) to anchor them with.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4
4 REPLIES 4

robsouth
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3, but I never tie mine down. Too much risk.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen several people just tie them down. Heck, I've done it myself. But last year at Myrtle Beach, I learned why that was not a good idea. When the wind blows the awning downward, then the struts push it back upwards against the tie down straps, it tends to pull the bolts out of the wall of the camper. I counted six that had that happen to them last year while at Myrtle. I got lucky as I was behind a big 5er that took the some of the wind off. Of course they were one of the ones that had the damage.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that is the "fix" for an electric awning? Looks good. I do my manual that way as well. But the supports just un hook from the TT side, and sit on the ground.

X2
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess that is the "fix" for an electric awning? Looks good. I do my manual that way as well. But the supports just un hook from the TT side, and sit on the ground.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers