cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neat, quick & temporary waste valve repair.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a waste valve leaking and don't want to replace or repair it at the moment, Valterra makes a twist on waste valve that will twist on where you would normally twist on the discharge hose, then you can install the discharge hose on the other side of temporary valve.

I must say that on my MH, a 2005 Fleetwood Excursion, if you install the temporary valve, there wouldn't be any room left to install the hose between the end of the temporary valve and the bottom of the compartment. Having said that, I still think it's a neat item.

In the below Amazon clicky there's a video on replacing waste valves. The twist-on valve is at the very end of the video.

Amazon clicky for twist-on valve.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
9 REPLIES 9

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had a twist on valve since the first time I dumped and got a poop shower. Should be standard equipment.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I went this route on my previous trailer and was very happy with the results. I had the usually problem old valves can have of leaking. Spending the money for the twist on valve was money well spent so I could tackle replacing the leaky one on my time. That never happened and when we traded it, I kept the twist on for my new trailer. I like the fact that I have a second safety valve for when I do something stupid.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
It takes maybe 15 minutes if you're not mechanically inclined, less if you are, to change out the valve...:S....and that will be a permanent fix.....:)...save your money....Dennis
Not necessarily true. Time it takes to replace the valve depends a lot on it's location, how rigidly it is lock into place by other drain lines, etc. and whether or not the trailer has an enclosed underbelly. :S

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch 12078 has it right! I do the same thing for the back-flush process. I use a "Flush King" style. Same as the OP referenced, except it has a clear section you can see through.

About a "simple" 10 minute replacement if the camper valve goes bad??? That's not true for every camper. I'm on my 3rd camper and each camper has had the slide valve hard plumbed into the black PVC lines. The only way to get them out is the cut the black PVC drain pipe and replace, there's no flexibility as both tanks flow to the same point. In my current camper, it would be even more difficult (much longer than 10 minutes), as I'd have to remove the under cover first. That in itself would probably take MUCH longer than a simple 10 minutes.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
If you do go this route something to be careful is using a washing machine. Not all washers send waste water into a tank. Some send it straight down the waste line and out. If you have a valve at the end which is shut, then you'll overflow at the washer pipe.

Yes, some valves are very expensive and hard to swap out. Thetford is one of them and may even be glued on.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
It takes maybe 15 minutes if you're not mechanically inclined, less if you are, to change out the valve...:S....and that will be a permanent fix.....:)...save your money....Dennis

Well maybe on your unit!

My unit the Grey and Black thank face each other and the valves are right at the tank, with a Y between them. Tried once to loosen and move the tanks just a bit, no luck. The twist on is a good solution for now.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Valterra twist-on valve semi-permanently installed on the waste outlet. When dumping, I open the third valve and the black tank valves first, then close the third valve and open the grey tank valve to back flush the black tank with grey water before draining everything. The third valve also makes it easy to gain extra grey tank capacity by letting it equalize with the black tank if necessary.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sometimes put grey water into my black tank when boondocking. They are on the same level and the two valves are close together but that leaves about a quart of stuff between the valves. By using a $6 end cap with a hose bib and a $5 hose valve I can drain the quart of stuff into the sewer hose before taking the end cap off.

Dennis, if your valves are like mine it's nearly impossible to get the old valve out as everything is that ridged. I had to cut a 1/2" section out of the smaller grey pipe and put it back together with a rubber hose.

Sometimes a hose goes on it instead.:W
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG