cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New roof! Should I use TPO or EPDM ??

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Going to replace my Roof this summer on my 34' Coachmen. Has several patches in it right now, but needs to be done soon. The roof I have now is EPDM. But I've read that the TPO is easier to install and that it help reduce the temperature inside the coach because it's white on white?

The EPDM will run about $150 more then the TPO. Just wondering is anybody has done a roof in TPO?

Your thoughts?
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis
21 REPLIES 21

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Dtaylor wrote:
Check out http://rvroof.com/

I did. They want $4800 to do my 34' RV! That's crazy!!
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis

MiPaJacks
Explorer
Explorer
Check coating it with EPDM Liquid rubber, check on here for several folks that have done so. It is a DIY product. Cost in hundred not thousands dollars.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Rhino RV Roof

This has my attention when I need to replace.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Check out http://rvroof.com/
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
TPO is the tougher of the two materials, and does not have the sluffing off of the top layer as EPDM. There are several companies that sell kits for diy application. Dicor is one of them.
In an RV application there should be no need for seams.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used TPO in an RV application, although like you: ours will need replacing in the near future. TPO is the way I'm leaning as it's more of a resilant material compared to epdm. From past expierennce in commerical building applications I've seen the durabilty, but the installation is much more tedious than epdm.
EPDM is great but can tear more easliy than tpo. Unlike epdm tpo needs its seams welded with a special welding iron and rod. In your case depending on your rv size you might not need to worry about seam welding, but depending on your rv roof profile, you might have to miter some of the corners and then the seam welding would come into play
keep us up todate with your project and good luck
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered using a spray on bed liner? At least one high end RV manufacturer is offering it as an option.