cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

painting lp tank cover?

paintyliz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I'm new here, I have gotten a ton of information from you guys, seems like I am looking through the forums weekly for something or other. I searched the forums and didn't find this covered.

I just ordered a new plastic propane tank cover. The previous one lasted seven years, then began to get brittle around the bottom. The camper is stored under a roof, but still gets some of the blazing texas sun.

Would it help if I painted it with some of that fusion for plastic spray paint? Do you think that would reduce the uv damage?

Thanks for all info and/or opinions.
11 REPLIES 11

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I sprayed my black covers with a product called Plasti-dip. One can ( about $6 at Home Depot )covered it. That was back in April while we were in Myrtle beach and they still look great ....

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cover will be made from HDPE (high density polyethylene) and I doubt you will find any paint that will stick to it. They make containers for all sorts of liquids (including paints) from HDPE because it has the property of nothing being able to adhere to it.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
The covers are just for aesthetics.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

paintyliz
Explorer
Explorer
By the way has anyone used the vinyl fabric covers? I thought of sewing one if they were good. What exactly is the point of a cover, does it make it more aerodynamic? If so, I would think fabric would catch the wind, but I'm sure it's not much of a factor in mpg.

paintyliz
Explorer
Explorer
Well...I'm more than satisfied with the quality of our 2008 fun finder 189Fbr. It is very nicely made and hasn't had any problems at all. Besides, plastic doesn't get dented up like aluminum does, so I prefer a plastic lp cover. And it did survive 7 years of Texas sun. But there are a lot of tt's that aren't made as well out there, I did a lot of research before I chose cruiser rv. So I concede your point lol.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
This is another example of folks having to go out of their way to compensate for poor quality. The plastic used to make this stuff should be of higher quality or aluminum. The technology is readily available.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

paintyliz
Explorer
Explorer
Finally found relevant info: "The presence of an opaque surface between the sun and the pipe prevents UV degradation, since UV radiation will not penetrate thin shields such as paint coatings or wrappings . . . In fact, any opaque shield, no matter how thin, will effectively prevent UV degradation. The most common method used to protect above ground PVC pipe from the sun is painting with an acrylic or latex paint." - unfortunately, the website that was taken from in another posting referring to pool plumbing, is not available (uni-bell.com) and I have no idea of the veracity of the statement but it sounds good. lol

paintyliz
Explorer
Explorer
I looked up fusion paint on the krylon site and it does not mention uv protection, but they have a clear fusion that has a uv block. So maybe I'll use that as a final coat. I wonder if the regular Fusion blocks uv because it's opaque? You'd think they'd mention it. The trailer is 7 years old but hasn't seen much action. Hopefully that is changing, we just had it in corpus for a week. One benefit to painting it will be that I can make it any color I want :0)

Thanks to all for their input. I think I will paint it and if it gets blotchy, I'll deal with it then. I have used fusion on other outdoor plastic and it's great.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used Fusion on all the plastic parts of my trailer about 5 or 6 years ago because of yellowing and those parts still look like new (window frames on both doors, stove hood vent cover, door holders, grab bar anchors etc.).

About three years ago, I used it on the covers for the air conditioner, and the refrigerator vent on the roof. Both of those items were starting to become brittle. They now look like new again and have lasted another 3 years and going strong.

I think that Fusion paint will probably be perfect for what you want it to do.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I tried that Fusion paint but it mottled after awhile. Next I would try a primer and finish coat OR one of those paints with the primer and finish in one.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered spraying it with Protectant 303?
It's a UV blocker.