cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Post regarding 285 watt Solar Panel

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I recently ran across a post in which someone mentioned having one 285 Watt roof panel @ 45V. I forgot to bookmark it. has anyone else seen it, and where? Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! sm, That was sure worth the price of admission!! I took a quick 10cent tour of each link and I already came away with ideas to use! I noticed you may also have Crown batteries? Anyway thanks again so much for the links!!

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the link to solar with pics!!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of good installations described here:

Forum Members Solar Installations With Pics

My three 24v panels are in series for ~90 volt input to the Morningstar MPPT-60 controller.

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify, I was not looking for advice in the video. It was just the 285 watt panel that caught my ear. I watch most video's with some skepticism. I realize that some people may be more knowledgeable than others whether in videos or in forums. My purpose is to investigate various options that people use. Apparently the higher wattage panels are higher voltage also, (I did not know this until I started surfing the various RV and solar forums). Higher wattage panels are interesting because I could use less. I also realize that they take up more real estate. If I were to go with a high voltage panel I would also use a MPPT to get the highest efficiency possible. I had not intended to create a 48v battery bank or use a 48v inverter. I do appreciate everyone that takes the time to read and reply my posts.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
sjturbo wrote:
Thanks smkettner! Advice was not what I was actually looking for. It was the use of a 285watt panel. It does appear from the video that the controller is a 12/24V model not a 48V model.

Are you contemplating using a 48V charging system and 48V capable inverters in an RV?
You do know that you don't need a controller rated to 48V output to charge a battery with 45V input?

I'm with smkettner on the value of that video. The author thinks that he is at a positive charge/usage rate when the controller shows a 9.5 amp discharge and a 5.4 amp charge supply. Additionally, if that is all he is getting out of the 285W panel, he is wasting a lot of charge. He should have an MPPT charge controller with that module.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks smkettner! Advice was not what I was actually looking for. It was the use of a 285watt panel. It does appear from the video that the controller is a 12/24V model not a 48V model.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was this post a few days about the 285 panels being installed on a 5th wheel

install solar system in fiver

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8EgXla5qTw

This set up has a lot wrong with it. I do not recommend taking much advice from this guy.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Panels
Qty W Year Dollars
2 x 180 - 2010 - $600 (36"x20")
1 x 300 - 2012 - $275 (60"x36") Largest one
1 x 280 - 2013 - $200 (56"x36")

As you see, I purchase my panels over a 3 year period. My last panel purchase was on Craig List (Phoenix area) was a BP. IMO, the maker was not a deciding factor. Voltage was. I stayed with a 5% tolerance on the panels. I still made add another as I still have the real-estate.
My plan was, plan for the future. We dry camp alot and we installed a residential refrig. Running the generator is very low. Even on Cloudy days I can get 15 to 25 amps.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks gatorcq! Since you answered my firs question before I asked,
I guess my second question would be what is the physical size? Third would be what brand and where to find it. Thanks!

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
What do you want to know.
I have 960 W at 45V Open voltage. This couple with a MPPT controller.

Simple math 960 W at 40 V = 24 Amps wire size 10 Awg to controller
MPPT controller
960 W at 13.6 = 70 available Amps. Factor in line loss, cloudy days etc. Avg 50 amps easy
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Success!! Thanks for everyone's help, it was greatly appreciated. As I said I do a lot of research, (surfing the web) when I am looking into attempting something such as solar or inverters or such. The post was not on any forum but on youtube, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8EgXla5qTw)! 1tiliman, a gentleman recently joined the fulltimer ranks and has a few posts. Talks about a 285 watt panel and Prostar controller. Anyway thanks for all the time you put into helping me!!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is the only post that I could find in the archives that mentions 285 watts.

Here are the results of a search of the archives on 48 volt.
Hope this helps you a bit.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would think it would be 48 volt, not 45 volt.
Not that it matters much, but....
-- Chris Bryant