cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing a Norcold fridge

jayarsenault
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced their Norcold fridge with a residential type? If so what are some things that need to be considered or upgraded first?
9 REPLIES 9

MrWizard
Inverters (like dc fluorescent light ballasts) are complicated electronics (they have to create oscillations from no oscillations). Always asking for trouble if you rely on them too much no matter what AC appliance you plug into them. To make them handle LRA surges (high amps at compressor start up, etc) is asking a lot.

actually you just need the Correct inverter, one designed to run induction motors, one with a heavy transformer in it
you need one with a excellent inductor aka transformer to absorb the in rush and supplied the needed LRA, you need one designed for day in and day out use, industrial quality, not something that weighs 4.5# and is designed only for temporary intermittent use
there are many good brands, but you won't find them at the auto parts store, or the big box store

Tripp lite can be had as MSW or PSW with or without built in converter charger

my Tripp lite PV1250 is 4.5 yrs old and has been in continuous daily use
the residential fridge is 3 months older than the inverter
neither has given me one IOTA of trouble
it weighs 22# and has an excellent transformer and filtering and was designed to run power tools and compressors in work trucks,
i have No qualms i have recommended the same model to many people
i bought mine on Amazon
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have a residential replacement. Run it off-grid with solar and inverter. If you only camp at facilities with electrical available, you won't need an inverter or bigger battery banks. Plug in before travels to cool the fridge and contents, drive to destination without opening the door, and connect to power.

What JPeyton references regarding inversion and appliances is apt. Get a quality inverter and size it above the operating draw. My original inverter was not up to the task but the Xantrex Prowatt 1000 handles the startup and operating draw without a hiccup. I also have two banks of batteries, solar, and all is installed with large wire.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere wrote:
John & Angela wrote:

For what its worth I don't know anyone that doesn't wish they did the upgrade years ago.

Happy trails.

We have a residential fridge and we hate it. It has not worked right since the warranty ran out. We are going back to an RV fridge as soon as we can afford it. That miserable residential fridge has burned up 2 1000 watt inverters and 1 1500 watt. Never again for us.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your replacement works out for you. Curious though, what was the make of the fridge and inverter.

Thanks for sharing.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

JPeyton
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere wrote:
John & Angela wrote:

For what its worth I don't know anyone that doesn't wish they did the upgrade years ago.

Happy trails.

We have a residential fridge and we hate it. It has not worked right since the warranty ran out. We are going back to an RV fridge as soon as we can afford it. That miserable residential fridge has burned up 2 1000 watt inverters and 1 1500 watt. Never again for us.

Inverters (like dc fluorescent light ballasts) are complicated electronics (they have to create oscillations from no oscillations). Always asking for trouble if you rely on them too much no matter what AC appliance you plug into them. To make them handle LRA surges (high amps at compressor start up, etc) is asking a lot.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:

Happy trails.

Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
jayarsenault wrote:
Has anyone replaced their Norcold fridge with a residential type? If so what are some things that need to be considered or upgraded first?

Yep. Common upgrade. some of the things to consider are,

1, If you don't already have one consider adding a 1000 watt inverter so you can run the fridge on the road. I recommend a sine wave inverter just from the efficiency point of view but others have succesfully done it on modified sine wave unit.

2. If you intend to dry camp consider adding 400 to 500 watts of solar to offset the fridge usage. In bad weather you will need an alternate source of power and a robust battery charge which you may already have.

3. Consider adding additional battery capacity. This may or not be necessary depending on what your camping style is.

Happy trails.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Many folks have replaced their dead absorption fridges with residential units. Most are happy with the results.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
google it or search on youtube...there are some there that have been done
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

JPeyton
Explorer
Explorer
Well you'll have to cap off the propane line somehow as a residential won't have one. Other than that I wouldn't think there's much to it assuming it will fit.