cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing the couch

Timhesaz
Explorer
Explorer
My couch is in Serious need of replacement. Are there any information resources on building, or replacing the couch in a fleetwood trailer? I'd Really like something nicer, and a Lot More Sturdy than the fold out my trailer has now, but definitely have a tight budget to work with. Thanks for any help. Tim
17 REPLIES 17

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
myredracer wrote:
Not the cheapest option around, but I would love, love to install one of these double-recliners from shop4seats.com. It is a wall hugger made for RVs and doesn't require more front to back depth.

OEM sofas from RV manufacturers are typically not very comfortable. Sure would be nice to be able to stretch your legs out while watching TV. You can even get power recline, heated seats and seat massage... ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for that link. Turns out these are made just a few miles from our home. Might have to go check them out.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
On the Home Depot site they have the Serta Sofa's I am concerned about the depth listed. It says 32.5 inches but is it? It is too late if it is larger and won't fit between the facia and the back wall.....

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
GCasta wrote:
Just ordered one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Serta-Collection-Fabric-Loveseat-CR43530PB/dp/B00EUU5HYU/ref=sr_1_3?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1452668640&sr=1-3&keywords=serta+rta
Should get it by end of week. They come in 61, 73 and 78" sizes and several different fabrics, just do a search on serta RTA.
Reasonable price and eay to get into trailer.
Will post what I think about it as soon as I get it.

I was wondering how the Serta RTA sofa worked for you. My sofa will be replaced soon and the Serta looks interesting.

teb1272
Explorer
Explorer
If you need RV specific pieces, you might try used RV parts places like Visone RV up in London, KY.

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Serta-Collection-Fabric-Loveseat-CR43530PB/dp/B00EUU5HYU/ref=sr_1_3?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1452668640&sr=1-3&keywords=serta+rta
Should get it by end of week. They come in 61, 73 and 78" sizes and several different fabrics, just do a search on serta RTA.
Reasonable price and eay to get into trailer.
Will post what I think about it as soon as I get it.
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Not the cheapest option around, but I would love, love to install one of these double-recliners from shop4seats.com. It is a wall hugger made for RVs and doesn't require more front to back depth.

OEM sofas from RV manufacturers are typically not very comfortable. Sure would be nice to be able to stretch your legs out while watching TV. You can even get power recline, heated seats and seat massage... ๐Ÿ™‚

That looks like a nice unit, curious how comfy it will be. Keep us posted.

Rick
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II

georgefarl1945
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a 60" wide loveseat recliner to replace our couch /pull out bed. The loveseat has remove able backs. $500 with tax - will be here in Feb.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
12thgenusa wrote:
Is there anything available that will fit when the furnace is under the jackknife couch?

Seems to be my situation, 61-62" length. Don't know if they exist in after-market, and if you put a fixed non-folding top like loveseat, you won't be able to access the storage underneath and will have to make some drawer there. Furnace doesn't need any access until it stops working. I tried to find a slip cover, there were some for loveseat of "close" size but not exactly 62". Weird size.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anything available that will fit when the furnace is under the jackknife couch?

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Timhesaz
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, the pics are Great! these trailers have so much potential (but sometimes budgets don't match haha).
If I didn't have all the ducting etc I'd just go look at a Lazyboy store.

Timhesaz
Explorer
Explorer
This is the same type setup I have. It has ductwork, waterlines, etc underneath, or I'd just replace it with a normal loveseat. I could buy a replacement, but imho would face the same problem down the road. I don't need or want the fold down funtion. Reminds me of a cheap Walmart futon. I was considering building a seat like the old box window seats. I've seen pictures of it done, but never any How To plans or pictures.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
If you don't want the fold out functions any more you can replace it with any couch that will fit. We replaced ours with a home furniture store piece, and it looks great. Measure carefully though to make sure it'll fir through the door.

2x! Exactly:

Before and after photos: (I love to show this off! This was the best change we could have made!) Couch purchased from Value City Furniture, Indianapolis, IN. It's a recliner too! I measured VERY VERY carefully to make sure it would go in the door. The back are removable.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what you have.
With those short kids-size sofas that they install sometimes as a coach - 60" long - can be a problem to find a cheap replacement.

I have one, and dreading the day I'll need to replace it. Quality is terrible, thin foam and flimsy framework.

Btw, dismantled one of dinette benches and replaced with a decent chair. Needed a space to install a propane heater on the wall. Turned out to be a blessing - the dinette bench was a torture device, difficult to sit or to get in and out. The chair is saving space and is really comfortable. When I removed it, I found that wooden frame was already cracking and falling apart after just one season. Was not worth keeping, threw it to garbage.