cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ridiculously simple mods -- let's see 'em!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the modifications posted on this forum are technically challenging -- but this is a thread for the exact opposite. What are your simplest, cheapest mods?

Here are two of mine. First, the door of our trailer has a translucent panel (not really a window) that lets in a lot of light. I rigged up a "blackout curtain" that goes over the translucent window -- it's just a double-thickness hefty bag, reinforced with duct tape on the edges, with zip tie rings in the top two corners. The rings then go over cup hooks above the door frame. It sounds like a joke, but it works very well and is easy to store, and it has lasted for about 500 nights of camping.

This is a shot of the โ€œcurtainโ€ when deployed:

And here is a close-up of the cuphooks, screwed right into the paneling:

(Note that there is a little tension on the zip ties, so that the "curtain" does not sag.)

My second offering is my patented freezer-door-holder-opener. On our fridge, there are two strong springs that close the freezer door. Thatโ€™s great, but there are times when DW needs that door open for a moment, as when she is putting an ice tray full of water into the freezer -- a chore best done with two hands.

So she suggested a wooden chopstick as a prop -- it worked! I added short pieces of clear plastic tubing on each end, to avoid scratching the plastic liner of the fridge (and for better friction than the wooden chopstick provided). Here is the magic chopstick when deployed:

And here it is in my hand, so that you can appreciate the subtle complexity of this device:

OK, now itโ€™s your turn!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
65 REPLIES 65

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
Mootpoint, how did you attach the magnet to the side of the RV? I like the idea of not having to deal with that hook thing!!

He probably is talking about one of these. I have had one on my trailer for the past couple of years and it works great. As he said, the only time you need to use the regular, old one is when the wind is blowing hard from the right direction. It is very nice to be able to reach out from the doorway and close the door and not have to step outside - especially if it is raining. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

Photo taken from Home Depot web page.

Exactly :B
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having been tired of the water coming out of my fresh water tank thru the vent hole while cornering.

I found that using the end from a BIC pen works for plugging it.

Plus it has a handy handle to remove it while filling the tank.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

austex
Explorer
Explorer
Tgator1 wrote:
Irish2 wrote:
4" PVC piping cable tied to the chassis of the TT with a cap on each end to hold sewer pipe.

What is PVC "piping cable"???

I am interpreting "...PVC piping, cable-tied to the chassis...", i.e., heavy-duty zip-ties holding the PVC pipe to the chassis.

Tom
Tom & Jessie
Central Texas
MVPRV(RIP) Coast 26LRBS TT

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Our cats needed a place for their litter box so I took off a door to the storage area under the bed and made a curtain. The curtain is just overlapping pieces of cloth sewed together at the top and tucked under the mattress:

Oh - and I did use duct tape for one of my mods... Had a big problem with stink bugs coming in the range vent one year (falling right into the frying pan :E) - so I took off the vent cover and used duct tape to attach screening.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
The kitchen drawers in our TH are deep (maybe 8" deep) - DH cut 4 pieces of 1/2 x 1/2 about 3 inches long and glued/staples them into the 4 corners of the drawer - he then cut a thin piece of plywood, sanded and rounded the corners, placed a finger hole in the center of the board and placed it into the drawer - I now have double the space in each drawer - it is more organized and Mama is a happy camper!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Added an expandable shower curtain rod in the middle of the shower for extra closet space. Covered the rod with pipe insulation (as already mentioned) to keep the hangers up.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

schultzs
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot and others carry 4" or 5" pvc square fencing posts and caps. I anchored 8' piece and hinged cap to store sewer tube with 90* end. I put it right near sewer dumps.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Probably piping (or pipe) is cable-tied to the chassis. Punctuation matters.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Tgator1
Explorer
Explorer
Irish2 wrote:
4" PVC piping cable tied to the chassis of the TT with a cap on each end to hold sewer pipe.

What is PVC "piping cable"???
Tgator1
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
Mootpoint, how did you attach the magnet to the side of the RV? I like the idea of not having to deal with that hook thing!!

He probably is talking about one of these. I have had one on my trailer for the past couple of years and it works great. As he said, the only time you need to use the regular, old one is when the wind is blowing hard from the right direction. It is very nice to be able to reach out from the doorway and close the door and not have to step outside - especially if it is raining. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

Photo taken from Home Depot web page.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Installed a Weber grill igniter kit running off an AA battery to light my oven pilot light and the three surface burners.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always liked to have a collapsible rake along but it was always ether in the way or buried under all the other things in the storage compartment when I needed it.
For a few bucks I used These to have it out of the way and accessible too.

][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AhCTfI6l.jpg" height=260>
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Magnetic door stop on the door instead of having to use the old style door open latch. Keeps the door open without having to get out of the rig to hook it up or undo to close. Keep the hook for those really windy days.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.