cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SiriusXM Vehicle Tuner antenna installation

Chevytrkr
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a SiriusXM vehicle tuner for my Class A. I was able to connect the tuner to my in-dash radio with no problem, however, I am having a problem installing my antenna. They suggest mounting it on the roof and running the wire down the walls and under the dash to the radio. I really don't want to put a hole in my roof. Has anyone installed one of these in your Class A, and if so, where did you mount the antenna? Can I mount it on the windshield inside and still get good reception?

Rich
Rich & Anne
SW Louisiana

2014 Fleetwood Storm 28F
2013 Fiat 500 Pop
16 REPLIES 16

DonL100
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, it's been awhile for me to get back about mounting a Sirius/XM antenna on top of an aluminum trailer. The way I did it was to use some strong silicone chalking to glue a steel plate to the top of my trailer and use the small magnetic mount antenna. It work great. I had no problems using it hunting or out camping. So far the plate and antenna are still there......Don

DonL100
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Thumbscrew and Gus. I will try it out and let you know how it goes. Thanks again, Don

thumbscrew
Explorer
Explorer
DonL100 wrote:
Thanks Gus. I know that aluminum is non- magnetic. I was going to fasten a piece of iron to the roof with silicone but the main thing was the ground. The question is, does the antenna need to be grounded by the surface it is placed on? Or, is it grounded through the radio? Some magnetic CB antennas need to be grounded by the surface they are put on. For instance, if you put a thin piece of plastic tape on the surface between the antenna, the magnetic antenna will still stick to the metal but it won't be grounded. I hope this is clear. Thanks, Don

No grounding is needed.

DonL100
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gus. I know that aluminum is non- magnetic. I was going to fasten a piece of iron to the roof with silicone but the main thing was the ground. The question is, does the antenna need to be grounded by the surface it is placed on? Or, is it grounded through the radio? Some magnetic CB antennas need to be grounded by the surface they are put on. For instance, if you put a thin piece of plastic tape on the surface between the antenna, the magnetic antenna will still stick to the metal but it won't be grounded. I hope this is clear. Thanks, Don

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Magnetic won't stick to the aluminum. Unless you can find a piece of steal up there to stick to or you want to mount a small piece to give it an anchor point, I don't think that's going to work for you.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

DonL100
Explorer
Explorer
Can I install a Sirius Magnetic antenna on an aluminum Roof. Do I need a separate ground for the antenna? Thanks...Don

Gotago2
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the prewired CB antenna? I just ordered my XM radio should get it next week. If the CB antenna works I,ll use the one on my rig since I don,t have a CB.
Norm
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F (35')Ford V-10, pulling 2011 Honda CRV

Chevytrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Update: To my surprise, I located an antenna already installed in the motor home above the cab. It was well hidden. I located the connector on the end of the cord under the dash and connected it to my tuner. Works great. No drilling. No cutting. Only hard part was locating the connector under the dash. It, too, was well hidden. Activated my SiriusXM and I ready for the road.

Rich
Rich & Anne
SW Louisiana

2014 Fleetwood Storm 28F
2013 Fiat 500 Pop

Rog___Nan
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has been on the dash for 7 years . Traveled all coasts and interoir no problems!
Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

thumbscrew
Explorer
Explorer
SJR wrote:
RFW63050 wrote:
My antenna sits on my dash. And I don't have problems.

X2

X3 and I zip tied it to the defrost vent to keep it from sliding around

SJR
Explorer
Explorer
RFW63050 wrote:

X2
Stephan
2010 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab
2003 Northstar TC800EC
2016 Rockwood Roo 21ss
Equalizer Hitch

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will likely do ok if you have a southern facing campsite with it in your window. If not, you might struggle. If it were me, I'd try to mount close to a radio antenna or TV/Sat antenna use the same hole since your likely going to the same place.

Remove the dicor around it, run your wire, tape up with eternabond and then cover with dicor self leveling.

Screw the antenna through the roof into a truss and cover the same way. Eternabond covered with dicor seems to be pretty much leak proof from everything I have read about re-roofing or adding/replacing anything on a roof.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

RFW63050
Explorer
Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I put the antennae for my XM radio on the roof of my 5'er. I ran the cable under the 5'er then up the rear outside corner molding. It's the molding that has the plastic insert that covers the screws. I then applied a big puddle of Dicor and set the antennae in it. Been there for a couple months and no probs. I had to buy a 25' XM extension cable to do it.