cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tank insulation

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone used spay foam insulation on their grey and black water tanks? Does it stick well on plastic tanks?.
Thinking of doing the bottom and some sides accessible as apart from cold wind overnight when driving the chill factor will be low and not always possible to have empty.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com
9 REPLIES 9

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
When I did a bus conversion I put waterbed heaters under the tanks. They require 3 inch of water in tanks at all times.
Very good point if the OP puts heaters on you definitely need to have the tanks 20 to 30 percent full keep the electric heaters on. Otherwise u might ruin the heaters.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
When I did a bus conversion I put waterbed heaters under the tanks. They require 3 inch of water in tanks at all times.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the advice
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
It's easier to glue foam board to the tanks, then spray foam the corners and gaps. Might not be a bad idea to install tank heaters first.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I think if the tanks were cleaned well the spray foam would stick. Maybe afterwords you could wrap the tank with a heavy duty exterior fabric to help hold it in place. The wind may get the tank to the temperature outside quicker but will have nothing to do with freezing, If it is above 32 nothing is going to freeze no matter what. I believe if you insulate the exposed side completely and you have the top of the tanks exposed to the heat of the cabin you would help pretty substantially. You can buy a larger size tank of that spray foam from some big box stores that is used for insulating rim joists in construction. The stuff has a great R value and is some sticky poop. Also you could dump a little rock salt in the tanks as this will lower the freezing temp. We did that for years when we went ski camping. But if your talking real cold like 25 and below you better look into some tank heaters as another poster said. All though rock salt will work pretty darn good. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Since there is very little mass of heat inside a water tank or waste tank and the tank may be located in an area at ambient temps, insulation will only slow the freezing process, not eliminate it. At cold temps without supplementary heat, the insulation will eventually reach ambient temperature, as will the tank.
I think the OP may be better served by installing tank heaters. They direct heat onto the tank surface and that heats anything inside the tank. Insulation between the tank heater and the outdoors is a good idea.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tanks that sit still will freeze overnight if it gets cold enough. Please don't ask me how I know this fact. While you are driving, it is less likely to freeze.

Folks have used a variety of methods to keep tanks from freezing. Spray foam helps (but is messy and expensive). My trailer has a layer of pink fiberglass, with a black vinyl sheet under it. I added Reflectix to the tanks -- it might help, but the R Value is fairly low.

Some folks have used sheets of styrofoam, supported by stringers.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
Moving water does not freeze.

Is that why rivers and water falls never freeze? ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Moving water does not freeze.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.