cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timbren SES installed

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Installed a set of rear Timbren SES (Suspension Enhancement System). I went with the units that are supposed to be for slide-in campers and salt spreaders, part #FRTT350F. I already have upper StableLoads. After reading around, some seem to like the regular duty version, more. It's my understanding that the regular version is longer than the slide-in camper units. I'm guessing the regulars have a softer compression rate. The kit came with one inch spacers, but I did not install them. After installing the fancy rubber baby buggy bumpers, with my truck's bed empty except for the bed mat/bed liner system, I can barely slip the 1" spacer between the Timbren and the axle block on one side (red arrow). The spacer won't slip in on the other side. It appears that the Timbrens would be touching the axle at all times, had I installed the spacers. I'll see what happens when I load the camper and hitch my little trailer to the truck. I'm pretty sure (positive) it's going to squat at least the one inch, leaving the Timbrens in contact full time when loaded. I think.

One thing the instructions don't tell you, the supplied bolt (sans spacer) won't fit through enough to secure the Timbren bracket to the Elastomer spring (I used the bracket's middle hole). I had to temporarily use a separate bolt, washers and nut to pull the supplied 3/8" x 1 1/2" washer into the well of the Elastomer spring. The Elastomer spring is hollow in the center with one end solid that attaches to the bracket. The 1 1/2" washer goes inside the hollow, against the solid end. Kinda like pressing a bearing. After that, the supplied bolt reached far enough to thread on the supplied Nylock nut.
Getting the factory bump-stops off was the toughest part of the install. Be sure to apply upwards pressure on the bump-stop to maintain engagement of the bump-stop's pin into the frame of the truck, preventing it from spinning. Do not allow this pin to get rounded. If you do, a 4" c-clamp will compress the factory bump-stop to the frame, giving it enough gumption to stay stationary while you un-thread the nut. It can be a little tight in there, but trust me. It works. On the second side, I put the c-clamp on before my initial attempt to loosen its nut. Hit the factory nuts with penetrating oil about a beer before you try to loosen them.

'13 F250 4x4 with camper package, 10,000# GVWR. Essentially, a F350 suspension without the extra 2" axle block.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack
8 REPLIES 8

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Upgraded, from the stock 17" steel wheels and factory mini-van tires.
From the 2014 specs, the optional Ford 18" wheels are rated for more than my Ultra Motorsports. About 120 pounds per wheel, more, iirc. I guess I gotta chaulk it up to vanity. My wheels are a hella lot cooler. My last weigh-in, the rear axle was 5,660. That was without my trailer's tongue weight of about 300-350 pounds. Hopefully, I'll be able to maintain a 700 pound safety margin in regard to the wheels' 7,000 pound rating. The door-jamb sticker states rear axle capacity at 6,200. I think the stock wheels and tires had something to do with that rating.

larry barnhart wrote:
... but I know the answer is "because we can" that is ok as I agree .

chevman

Absolutely.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Carb Cleaner wrote:

My tires and wheels have been upgraded, too. I didn't order Ford's 18" wheels (which may have increased my Carrying Capacity Rating on the yellow sticker) because I was able to get the exact wheels and tires I wanted for a few bucks more.

I thought the OEM wheel rating for the Ford 18's was higher than the 3500lbs that Ultra list's the Phantoms at?
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

I installed Timbren SES units on my previous Tow Vehicle (that uses Leaf Springs). I also installed Timbren SES units on my new Tow Vehicle (that uses Coil Springs). Love them so much, my future Tow Vehicle will immediately have Timbren SES units installed as well. Especially since I have a few trailers that cannot accept a Weight Distribution Hitch.

For me, Timbren SES units isn't a means to "over load" that specific Tow Vehicle. re: Make it tow or load it down more then it legally should. IMO, factory suspensions are made "soft" - made more for passenger comfort and less for loading (that many drivers don't do). To create more firmness under load and for attached trailers (like utility, boat, 5ers, etc) that don't use a Weight Distribution Hitch, I install Timbren SES units instead. Low cost and easy install. And if adjusted properly, Timbren SES and Weight Distribution Hitches can be used together.

For a gapping, recommend installing with the 1" Spacer. Drive around for a few weeks. Then, remove the 1" Spacer. Then drive around for a few weeks. Compare the empty comfort and loaded comfort of both. Then, use either install method that works best for you. For my setups, I like 1/2" gap - for empty loads. If needed, one can create their own 1/2" spacer plate as well. Whichever works best for your setup.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
12V98 I got a kick out of your comment. why not buy a truck that you don't have to modify it? I have thought this for years about guys buying diesel trucks because of the power over a gas engine and then adding programmers for more power. Why not buy a bigger truck in the first place?

Just wondering but I know the answer is "because we can" that is ok as I agree .

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carb Cleaner wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
'13 F250 4x4 with camper package, 10,000# GVWR

I don't get it. A new truck and you have to modify it to do what you want. Why not just get the 350 to begin with?

That's a fair question.
Short answer: I make it up as I go along.
Long answer:
I spec'ed the truck for towing a 5th wheel. The specs are/were higher, towing capacity wise, for the F250 than the F350. Our truck camper came about from changing directions in mid-stream. Many with an F350 SRW perform the same mods. The sag doesn't bother me, my truck sits about level with nothing in the holding tanks, it's the swaying I'm trying to subdue. I'm not really trying to compensate for weight on a hitch, it's the top-heavy nature of a truck camper that can be unnerving.
My tires and wheels have been upgraded, too. I didn't order Ford's 18" wheels (which may have increased my Carrying Capacity Rating on the yellow sticker) because I was able to get the exact wheels and tires I wanted for a few bucks more. In Virginia, it's registered for 12,000 pounds.
Drive-shaft spline count, 2" thicker rear axle block and an extra leaf spring are the differences between a F250 and F350. The Camper Package gives a F250 the extra spring and front/rear sway bars. I'll take my chances with the spline count and I can get F350 axle blocks from the junk yard all day long (new, longer U-clamps would be required).

Thanks

I assume you have the rear sway bar? If so I wonder if a Helwig sway bar would be any better?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I don't get it. A new truck and you have to modify it to do what you want. Why not just get the 350 to begin with?

That's a fair question.
Short answer: I make it up as I go along.
Long answer:
I spec'ed the truck for towing a 5th wheel. The specs are/were higher, towing capacity wise, for the F250 than the F350. Our truck camper came about from changing directions in mid-stream. Many with an F350 SRW perform the same mods. The sag doesn't bother me, my truck sits about level with nothing in the holding tanks, it's the swaying I'm trying to subdue. I'm not really trying to compensate for weight on a hitch, it's the top-heavy nature of a truck camper that can be unnerving.
My tires and wheels have been upgraded, too. I didn't order Ford's 18" wheels (which may have increased my Carrying Capacity Rating on the yellow sticker) because I was able to get the exact wheels and tires I wanted for a few bucks more. In Virginia, it's registered for 12,000 pounds.
Drive-shaft spline count, 2" thicker rear axle block and an extra leaf spring are the differences between a F250 and F350. The Camper Package gives a F250 the extra spring and front/rear sway bars. I'll take my chances with the spline count and I can get F350 axle blocks from the junk yard all day long (new, longer U-clamps would be required).

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put Timbrens on my Tundra a while back and are very satisfied. If I recall, the instructions call for having the Timbren about 1" from the contact surface. Looks like you don't need the 1" spacer. From the spacing shown in your first photo, I think you're fine. Nothing wrong with having the timbren in contact when loaded IMO.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"