cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

updating windows?

imderrickjed
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone swapped out the old crank outs for the new slider styles? I have an 81 Shasta 24' RV and wanted to update the windows.
16 REPLIES 16

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
And now in newfangled clickable form! http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/imderrickjed/library/81%20Shasta%20Motorhome

In all seriousness, that's what a few of us thought you were talking about. I got a feeling its going to be really hard to find windows that fit without a lot of modification to the window openings.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

imderrickjed
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pictures of the motorhome. We need to remodel and thats why I asked about the windows. http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/imderrickjed/library/81%20Shasta%20Motorhome

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the Maxxair Louvered Window Vent?
Clicky
If so-how well did it perform, comparatively speaking?
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
We really don't like the crank out windows in our Pleasure Way class B. They hardly let any air in. I would much prefer if they were like the old big sliding windows I had in a van once. I wish the two big windows in the lounge area could be replaced with sliders of the same size. You could get much more fresh air while sitting there. If it rains you close them somewhat.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Also keep in mind being a motorhome, the windows must be safety glass, and DOT approved.
-- Chris Bryant

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Assuming that we're talking about the louvered "crankout" jalousie-style windows:

In the opinion of this Pacific Northwesterner, sliders becoming "standard" is NOT an improvement in the industry. And I think that anyone that's tried to get a little air in the rig without getting wet when it's raining may agree. The old jalousies have no equal in the ventilation department.

Those old style jalousies were great! The trend now seems to be away from sliding window and to the one piece push out windows which are terrible for letting a decent amount of air in. I saw several new 5vers and "A"s last week that had these type of windows and not a single slider. To us its a step backward. This is our second HTT and both had at least one push out-style window. They DO NOT allow nearly as much air in. The one piece push out windows have one redeeming quality and that is when its raining. But the large sliding windows on our X20E is one of the things that attracted us to the trailer.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Most trailers or motor-homes come with the cheap plastic screens. They will rip loose from the rubber cord that holds the screen tight in the frame.

Been there, done that!

There is a repair tool to fix the screen. I just try to remember to close and lock all windows (they can vibrate open if not locked).
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
this place builds custom windows to your opening size they have mitered corner dual pane even maybe they can help you out

http://www.motionwindows.com/prod1800.php
1999 F550 truck conversion

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
copeland343 wrote:
We did enjoy opening the windows on our last two trailers when it was raining. Now we are closed up when raining.

X2. But I have heard that the sliders do seal better when they are closed and don't leak as much air.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Our new toy hauler has all sliding windows. We did enjoy opening the windows on our last two trailers when it was raining. Now we are closed up when raining. Wife does not like it at all. In our case slider windows not good.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
imderrickjed wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Honestly, the crank out can be better than sliders- which are used on motorized rigs so they can be opened while driving, and trailers because they are cheaper.
You can try http://www.easyrvwindows.com/.

This is a RV, Not a camper so it would be nice to open as we are going down the road. Plus I think I need to update the windows so I can install one that pops out in case of a fire.

FWIW, Motor Home, 5th Wheel, Travel Trailer, PopUp, Truck Camper(slidein) are ALL RV's.

Jim

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with Low-E residential sliders. As was mentioned, finding sizes in residential style without having to buy RV specific windows may prove problematic. I had the freedom to reframe the window openings.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming that we're talking about the louvered "crankout" jalousie-style windows:

In the opinion of this Pacific Northwesterner, sliders becoming "standard" is NOT an improvement in the industry. And I think that anyone that's tried to get a little air in the rig without getting wet when it's raining may agree. The old jalousies have no equal in the ventilation department.

Per escape window:

I'm frankly surprised that your rig doesn't have at least one of the jalousies rigged up to swing out, frame and all, to serve for emergency egress- a very common solution during the time your rig was built. Even my '78 Trillium has an egress window, though in my case it's a single-swingup that replaces one bank of jalousies.

Be aware before you start tearing things up that while your jalousies likely have square corners, most replacement slider corners are radius. Filling the resulting gaps can be problematic when attempting a retrofit like this.

Also, if you decide to go ahead with the retrofit:

Do NOT just throw the old jalousies away- they're very much sought after and if carefully removed can fetch prices very close to the cost of new sliders.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

imderrickjed
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Honestly, the crank out can be better than sliders- which are used on motorized rigs so they can be opened while driving, and trailers because they are cheaper.
You can try http://www.easyrvwindows.com/.

This is a RV, Not a camper so it would be nice to open as we are going down the road. Plus I think I need to update the windows so I can install one that pops out in case of a fire.