cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water tank filling mod

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
A modification I made to more easily fill my fresh water tank. I installed a 1/2" threaded 3 way ball valve in the area of my water pump. I connected the input to the valve to the outside hose connection. One of the output ports I connected back to the water pump, the other output port I connected to the old breather hose to the fresh water tank. I cut a hole in the bulkhead wall of my front storage box to access the valve handle. The old filler hose now acts as the breather hose and I can still fill the tank with that hose.

With a hose connected to the RV, I reach the valve thru the storage box and turn to the fill position. It will fill my tank in 4-5 minutes (will depend on water pressure).

I used PEX pipe with SS cinch rings for the connections(I own the tools and connectors). You could also SS 1'2" FPT faucet connectors.

Trying to figure out how to post a picture.
Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB
15 REPLIES 15

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
rjniles wrote:
My RV has a gravity fill port but when I stick a hose it it to fill it constantly burps and spews water back from around the hose. This mod eliminates all of that.

You should be using an adapter on the hose that fits into the fill neck. This allows air to exit as you fill.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX850/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_Eh9FFb72K8EAF

This way you don't risk bursting the tank, dislodging the fill neck hose (happened to me) or damaging the tank mounts.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
rjniles wrote:
My RV has a gravity fill port but when I stick a hose it it to fill it constantly burps and spews water back from around the hose. This mod eliminates all of that.

Mine did that too. My tank filler neck hose is visible inside the sink cabinet and connects to the tank top through a hole in the floor. I checked for kinks and everything was a smooth curve. The problem was the water was accumulating in the fill hose. The air in the tank also couldn't escape through the vent tube fast enough so air burped back up through the filler neck hose as the pressure air compressed in the tank.

I solved the problem by replacing the clear 1/2 inch vinyl fill tubing i used with a piece long enough to make it all the way into the tank. I no longer had water backing up into the tank filler neck hose. As the tank fills, air in the tank comes out the vent and up the filler neck hose without burping water out the tank fill opening. When the tank is full I hear gurgling just before water runs out the tank fill connection indicating the tank is full.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
rjniles wrote:

Sounds like a blockage in air relief/overflow line...I had similar issue and resolved once the blockage was removed.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjniles wrote:

Turn down the water flow a little.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow.. So glad my 2019 Rockwood has a regular fresh water hose fill up front where the tank is. My water flow at home is 5 gallons in 30 seconds (I timed it and that's how fast it fills a 5 gallon bucket from the hose?)

On an empty tank, with a 55 gallon cap, I just let it fill for about 4 minutes, and it's full enough for me and has not overflowed or not taken the flow at that rate?

All the other water hookups is at the rear of the rig, (city water, water pump, filter, etc.)

No issues with using the rigs fresh water storage and water pump.. Really have not even hooked up city water to it yet... Just like using the tank with water I carry.. ha, ha... Just a weekend camper so no big deal..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
This might have come in handy in the first rig I rented which was a real PIA to fill .... in hindsight I suspect there was a kink/blockage in the air bleeder valve.
Kevin

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Think of your fresh water tank like a balloon. Dont want to crack and pop it. In colder weather make sure to fill as slow as you can. If you are filling up at a public spot dont feel rushed. Sounds like your original tank vent has either failed....or....you crank the fresh water input full blast and the tank cant vent fast enough. Thats how people balloon their fresh water tank to the point it will lift your floor up. Bend the metal mounts. All types of badness.

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Lately I've been seeing quite a few posts about mods & different ways to fill the fresh water tanks, some, Like this one seem to be a lot of work, makes me wonder, do I have the only MH with a gravity fill port, remove the cap, stick the hose in the hole, turn the water on?
I have a friend with what appears to be 2 city water connections, but one of them is to fill the tank.
I thought all RV's came with a way to fill the tank. :h

Low Country SC
2014 F150 SCAB

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on photo posting

Low Country SC
2014 F150 SCAB

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Our new '88 Mallard and new 2001 Itasca both had a gravity fill port. Out 2014 does not. I built one using 3/4" PVC pipe and a 1/4-20 stainless threaded rod.

Dusty

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My TTโ€™s gravity fill works fine and Iโ€™m not in a hurry.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lately I've been seeing quite a few posts about mods & different ways to fill the fresh water tanks, some, Like this one seem to be a lot of work, makes me wonder, do I have the only MH with a gravity fill port, remove the cap, stick the hose in the hole, turn the water on?
I have a friend with what appears to be 2 city water connections, but one of them is to fill the tank.
I thought all RV's came with a way to fill the tank. :h
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m nervous about filling fresh water quickly and look forward to your pictures.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjniles wrote:
Trying to figure out how to post a picture.

Follow the instructions In This Link to fully understand how it is done,very easy to use.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C