cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 ton towable TH

BeardownAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Looking to get a toy hauler, used, that I can tow with my 2014 f-150 ecoboost. Will need hauling a polaris Rzr 4 900. In the $5000-7000 range. Seen a few Carsons fun runners and Thors in that range. Any thoughts suggestions? Needs to sleep 2 adults 3 kids. Doesn't have to have fuel station or generator though I prefer on board generator. Thanks
48 REPLIES 48

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
BeardownAZ wrote:
Minds not made up at all. Sure adding more items to a trailer will no doubt change tongue weights and such. I was merely adding to the fact that I believe a 1/2 ton can do more then most will give credit for and not everyone needs a huge truck to haul. I do understand that it is easy to overload it. It will give me pause to think about possibly changing configurations(ie placement of toy, water tank locations etc). Have actually seen a few Funrunners in the 21 to 22ft length with like a 12.5ft cargo area that were tall enough to fit the Rzr in. Granted they didn't have much for cabinetry but that is ok with me if they would work with everything else.

From the 17 years I have been doing toyhaulers and trucks, folks that don't/can't change their truck will justify it however they can. They just end up coming back here in a year or so saying they moved up to a F250 or something and night and day difference.

I had a F350 SRW that I ordered, Weld wheels, BFG's etc. Loved that truck.
But ordered a 41' 5th wheel and knew I would be over all of my tow ratings.
Traded it in 1 year after buying it, took the hit, and got the right truck for my trailer.

So I just don't preach, I practice what I preach.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

rob85546
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you buy a one ton dual. Put 6 in lift. Huge tires Then buy a 37 foot toy hauler and flip the axles and put blocks to get bed clearance.

BeardownAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, thought about that too. Seen some 21ft that will hold a 4 seat rzr. Think I could do that without issues

rob85546
Explorer
Explorer
Look for one of them trailers that looks like cargo hauler. But has sleeping and all the necessities

BeardownAZ wrote:
Minds not made up at all. Sure adding more items to a trailer will no doubt change tongue weights and such. I was merely adding to the fact that I believe a 1/2 ton can do more then most will give credit for and not everyone needs a huge truck to haul. I do understand that it is easy to overload it. It will give me pause to think about possibly changing configurations(ie placement of toy, water tank locations etc). Have actually seen a few Funrunners in the 21 to 22ft length with like a 12.5ft cargo area that were tall enough to fit the Rzr in. Granted they didn't have much for cabinetry but that is ok with me if they would work with everything else.

BeardownAZ
Explorer
Explorer

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
BeardownAZ wrote:
Manufactures lie according to some one here. Not sure what to think. I get responses that say tongue weight to heavy for half ton, next says too light will make rear of trailer sway with RZR loaded in. Im sure there both right if not loaded correctly . . .
Manufacturers don't lie per se, but it's certainly hard for any manufacturer to give an accurate tongue weight rating (empty) for one model of toy hauler (or TT) when it can be optioned out 50 different ways. For instance, an optional Onan generator can easily add 250 lbs. of tongue weight to a toy hauler's manufacturers so-called "empty" tongue weight rating--especially if it's located towards the front of the toy hauler. Some manufacturers don't include the weight of two batteries or dual propane tanks either. That's another 150-175 lbs. If you plan to haul any water, also need to pay attention to where the tanks are located. If the freshwater tanks are located anywhere forward of the TH's axles, adding just 25 gallons of water can easily add 100 lbs. to your tongue weight. Bottom line, all this weight adds up quick---in this case anywhere from 500-525 lbs. more weight, that must be ADDED to the manufacturer's so-called empty tongue weight. If your manufacturer's empty tongue weight rating was originally 650 lbs, you're now up to 1150-1175 lbs! FYI, most receivers on 1/2 ton trucks are only rated up to 1000 lbs. or so. In any case, that's just the realworld empty tongue weight. You also have to add the weight of passengers and gear. At that point you may be easily approaching (or exceeding) the maximum payload for an average 1/2 ton truck.

With all this being said, say you do find a toy hauler with an acceptable realworld empty tongue weight which tows great with no toys. Then you have the issue of whether you can load your toys properly depending on their length, width, and weight. Too far back can induce sway from a lack of tongue weight. Too far forward can push your tongue weight higher and potentially exceed the payload capacity of your truck.

Some folks talk about the manufacturer's empty tongue weight ratings like they're some kind of static number that never changes. Not true. It's dynamic and can change radically depending on how it's optioned and loaded. As for tow capacity, haven't addressed it for a reason. Basically it's moot point with a 1/2 ton--especially with TH's. You'll most always have payload issues before tow capacity issues. At least that's true if you take the time to have your rig CAT scaled---if not, ignorance is bliss 🙂

In any case, we discovered all this the hard way towing a TH with a '12 1/2-ton Tundra 5.7 we used to own. If at all possible try to have any prospective toy hauler CAT scaled with your truck before purchase. Failing that, you'll have to do your best to extrapolate the manufacturer's so-called empty ratings and hope for the best.

Good luck!

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like u have your mind made up.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

BeardownAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Manufactures lie according to some one here. Not sure what to think. I get responses that say tongue weight to heavy for half ton, next says too light will make rear of trailer sway with RZR loaded in. Im sure there both right if not loaded correctly. I can find a Youtube video right now, of a 1 ton DUALLY that gets thrown off the road by a pull behind travel trailer. A 1 ton dually!!! So are we all gonna go buy tractor trailers now?? I get being within reason of the vehicles ability but some act like only vehicle capable of towing is a diesel 1 ton truck. Alot have done with less and been safe as well.

rob85546
Explorer
Explorer
It's almost pointless asking **** on the internet. Everyone has their opinion and is an expert . First of all I have had the big diesels one tons. U will ask about towing an 18 foot trailer someone will say get a Diesel.
Now I have a f150 Ecoboost and a 26 foot razorback. 7700 pounds also have great air bag set up. Truck says about 2 inches without using air bags. I also have a great load leveler sway set up. The truck pulls it with no problems. Plenty of power. That truck really impresses me. Also it's stable i do not get any bounce like I have had with other set ups. The truck has great brakes.
Now this one will fit a 1000 razor in it. All you haulers are designed different. The tow rating on the Ecoboost is 11300 pounds. Now I don't like to go to the max of tow ratings. But I think u stay with in the ratings of the truck I will be fine especially if your occasional tower now hose full timers may se it different . Like I said it's pointless to ask on here. Everyone an expert and has their own opinions that Ecoboost is a quite capable truck that some just can't admit to it . With just my camper on there that t UFO handles it excellent. Braking and plenty of power. YouTube the Ecoboost and towing . The bigger trucks generally have bigger axles suspensions , brakes and such but stay within the tricks capabilities and u will be fine . These trucks are a lot better than ones in years past towing heavy ass campers. I've had plenty trucks and woudld stack this Ecoboost up there as far as power u will walk away from many others. The 6.0 chev. The 6.2 ford and newer chev as well. Remember stay in the manufacture rating.

BeardownAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I just got this truck not to long ago. Not going to trade it in. Ill find something that works.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
One additional consideration is OHV transport to trail.

Example: I do go to Moab with my ATV in the back of my 1 ton truck and pull my TT... trailer is not a toy hauler. I go and setup TT and the trailer stays put. Since my ATV fits in the bed of my truck, I can transport my ATV to the many trail heads around Moab as you can't ride to most of the trail heads. Not all of the trail heads accommodate RVs either so if I did have a toy hauler and didn't have a way to transport my ATV separately in my truck, I'd be dependent on transport from someone else to get to a lot of the trails in Moab.

So OP, consider where you intend to go and if you will need to use the TH to get your Rzr to the trail head. In your case, a 1 ton truck with LB and Diamondback Truck Cover makes a lot more sense which would get you into a very nice TH as well. It's only money 😉
I love me some land yachting

BeardownAZ
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm....maybe I can find a salvage title, gutted toyhauler,lol

BeardownAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is the 2016 model Rzr 4. Which is 11ft 6in long. I think the longer one is the 900XP. I'll have to do some figuring and see whats available. Luckily we don't spend a ton of time in the trailer as it is for sleeping and showering, so I need minimal amenities in it thus not needing a bigger trailer, which I couldn't do anyways.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Love real life numbers. Good job.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say WHICH RZR 4 900 you would have. Apparently there are several models with different dimensions. Some are 138.1" x 60" x 71.7" x 1476 lbs. and some are 146" x 64" x 75.75" x 1565 lbs. That's 11'-6" long x 5' wide x 6' tall and 12'-2" long x 5'-4" wide x 6'-4" tall.

What is the payload on your truck? I have a '13 F150 with a 1607 lb. payload. I have weighed my rig twice loaded with bikes. Once with two dirt bikes (about 500 lbs.) and no water it had 780 lbs. on the tongue. The truck rear axle was 50 lbs. under the rear axle weight limit. The truck was at 99% of the rear GAWR and 97% of the GVWR. With two street bikes (850 lbs.) and 36 gallons of water (300 lbs.) it had 820 lbs. tongue weight. The truck was at 102% of the rear GAWR and 97% of GVWR. The rear axle was 70 lbs. (2%) OVER the weight limit. It needs a WDH head tilt adjustment to get some more weight off the rear axle, but I couldn't do that at the truck stop.

Without a HD payload package on the truck, a toy hauler big enough for a four seater RZR is going to eat up the rear axle weight capacity of a half ton truck quickly, especially with 5 people in the truck.

I have a 24.5' toy hauler that has a yellow weight sticker that shows 5025 lbs. The '"brochure weight" was 4650 lbs. I have not weighed it "empty". The two times I weighed it, it produced 780 lbs. (11.6%) and 820 lbs. (11.4%) tongue weight.

It only has 11'-2" from the back door to the kitchen cabinets, so it couldn't haul even the smallest RZR four seater. Also it only has 5'-6" clearance below the rear lift bed, so it wouldn't fit under there either. My camper has a flat roof. I suspect you would have to get one with a raised roof in the back to fit the four seater under the rear lift bed.

I hope you can find one big enough for a four seater that doesn't overload your truck.

It took me 53 weeks to find this one. I wanted to be able to haul three dirt bikes and have a bed available without unloading and not overload my truck. This one does all that, but just barely within the weight limits of the truck. The Ecoboost has no trouble pulling it, but the suspension is LOADED. Let us know if you find one that fits.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC