cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

110 PSI Air While on the Road

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about upgrading from 80 PSI E-rated tires to 110 PSI G-rated tires.

I assume 110 PSI air is available at most Love, Pilot-type truck stops?

Anybody use a portable air compressor? If so, what make/model?
66 REPLIES 66

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Thinking about upgrading from 80 PSI E-rated tires to 110 PSI G-rated tires.

I assume 110 PSI air is available at most Love, Pilot-type truck stops?

Anybody use a portable air compressor? If so, what make/model?

Finding stations that have the 110psi could be difficult. I have my own compressor(Sears) with a capacity to fill to 110psi. Another alternative is to go to a tire shop. I use Les Schwab in Ca. Or. Wa. but I don't believe Ariz. has Les Schwab. Once I air up my trailer tires to 110psi at home I generally don't have to worry about loosing more than +/- 1 lb. of air. after being on the road for 3 to 4 months. I also use metal valve stems which prevents air loss.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
I carry a small CO2 tank with regulator and hose takes less room than a compressor that takes forever to get to the higher PSI's and I am able to get the 110 psi with no problem, only use it on the road if I need to adjust tire pressure . I made my own set up but take a look at Power Tank brand you will get the idea. Off road guys use these tanks to air their tires back up after rock climbing or running off road

No need to put on "airs" - go CO2 !!

Congrats on an xlnt and simple solution to the various 12V and/or 110V compressors!..:C

Ditto on making your own (easy!) and new aluminum CO2 tanks are available at reasonable prices from beverage companies.

Re-fill at any home brew stores, paint ball, and of course welding supply.

Carry one in my truck, one in the trailer.
(Yeah - several compressors at home)

Off-roaders have been using 'em for years - air down for off-road, then re-inflate via CO2 to higher pressure for the asphalt.
The sources for the regulator (etc.) are avail on lots of off-road sites.

Carry one for (in) my truck, one for (in) the trailer.

"Power Tank" is a good place to look at what is available - the how, why, uses, etc. (But they *are* pricey if purchased from them)...;)

BTW - to the newbie poster who says he will stop here and there & slip somebody $5. to check his air pressure........
Spend the $5. on a gauge, check it yourself whenever you stop....
and better yet get a TPMS and read air pressure going down the road, as well as being alerted to a tire losing air *BEFORE* you stop for your ap checks!

Flats and/or a blowout can/will ruin your day!

~

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
The Harbor Freight compressor rated at 110 psi took forever to top off tires to
80#. After 70# it only gains about 1# per cycle on 18" E rated tires
Might be satisfactory for use up to 45# or so.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Certainly didn't want to start another tire debate. Just trying to focus on the logistical issue of finding reliable sources of air at 110 PSI.

You should be focusing on NOT doing something that will potentially be dangerous to you and others on the road.

You should NOT put 110 psi in your tires just because you CAN.
As mentioned, many RVs intended to use 80 have rims that are not designed to go to 110......and doing so can be dangerous.

There is no debate about that.

If you need the higher rated tires because of added weight AND you have the proper rims to do that, just say so and we can move on.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RDS33 wrote:
If your tires are like my Goodyear G tire you will not need air on the road. Mine stay up at 105 psi for over a year at at time.
That may work in a place like Hawaii where the temps stay pretty much the same. But if you travel at all, and experience hot and cold weather, there is no tire in existence that can maintain the same pressure all the time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I full time and my tires only need 80 PSI. I carry a small air compressor and have a couple of quality Milton gauges for checking tire pressure. Keep in mind that once set at home before you leave on a trip, tire pressure doesn't change much over the course of several months. If you're just taking occasional trips or one long summer trip, I wouldn't bother carrying a compressor. Check them at home before you leave. If you develop a tire problem that causes pressure to drop, having an air compressor along won't help.

RDS33
Explorer
Explorer
If your tires are like my Goodyear G tire you will not need air on the road. Mine stay up at 105 psi for over a year at at time.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimmyfred wrote:
..........For all those guys with a "150psi" , 12vdc air compressor , try this at home..........let the air in one tire down to say 50 psi , now , engage your compressor and see how long it takes to get the tire pressure back up to 80 psi , 100 psi(GY G614's) , OR 17.5's at 125psi . My guess , IS , that any compressor is going to get to 80psi OK , 110 psi maybe never and 125psi............forget about it .
x2, it will take a very long time.

The guys who carry the Co2 tanks have the right idea. Fill that tire in seconds.

I really don't know how folks can exist on the road very long sans a good compressor. Of course if you never check your tires then I guess you can.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The psi rating can be optimistic for a given compressor. But if it's good enough to get you to a station without tire damage then it was useful.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
..........For all those guys with a "150psi" , 12vdc air compressor , try this at home..........let the air in one tire down to say 50 psi , now , engage your compressor and see how long it takes to get the tire pressure back up to 80 psi , 100 psi(GY G614's) , OR 17.5's at 125psi . My guess , IS , that any compressor is going to get to 80psi OK , 110 psi maybe never and 125psi............forget about it . Just remember , you're sitting on the side of the road , and vehicles will be crusing by @ 80 mph blowing dirt all over you while the boss is sitting in the cab with the A\C.........and every so often she rolls down the window wanting to know WHAT , is taking so long ?, jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
I carry a 150 psig air compressor.

Ken

X 2 We carry our own compressor so if we need to add air I can get an accurate pressure reading with cold tires first thing in the morning rather than check while the tires are warm/hot.

Dan

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a small CO2 tank with regulator and hose takes less room than a compressor that takes forever to get to the higher PSI's and I am able to get the 110 psi with no problem, only use it on the road if I need to adjust tire pressure . I made my own set up but take a look at Power Tank brand you will get the idea. Off road guys use these tanks to air their tires back up after rock climbing or running off road
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just depends on the specs of a particular "pancake" compressor. Some will do it, some will struggle, and some will flat out fail. It depends on the rating of the compressor. I had one and it was rated at a max of 110 psi. and would not fill my tires to 110 psi, 100 psi was it.

The Porter Cable compressor I use now, not a pancake, is rated to 135 psi and will fill my tires to 110 psi, if necessary, with no issues, although it takes a couple minutes. I also have an onboard generator so power is not an issue.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Appreciate all the responses. Certainly didn't want to start another tire debate. Just trying to focus on the logistical issue of finding reliable sources of air at 110 PSI.

Has anyone actually used their pancake compressor to air up a set of G-rated tires from, say, 80 PSI to 110 PSI? My 240 volt home compressor takes a minute or so just to air up my rear truck tires from 55 to 80 PSI.

Thanks!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:
I carry a 150 psig air compressor.

Ken

X2
150 PSI 110 volts AC
Keep in mind I have an on board genset
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego