cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

110 PSI Air While on the Road

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about upgrading from 80 PSI E-rated tires to 110 PSI G-rated tires.

I assume 110 PSI air is available at most Love, Pilot-type truck stops?

Anybody use a portable air compressor? If so, what make/model?
66 REPLIES 66

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam Spade wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

IMHO still not a good idea as the HOT temps vary wildly.
If you are heated up and below "MAX" pressure you have a tire problem.

Well that first sentence depends on your definition of "wildly" I guess. Under similar conditions, the pressure should be similar.

And I don't think I agree with that second sentence at all.....but not sure what you are trying to say.

Conditions vary as a person could be traveling in freezing or 100 weather the tire themps will vary "A LOT".

If traveling on a 100 degree day and your tire reads 80 psi and that is it's max the tire could easily have only 40psi cold and may have a hole or ?????

Really, who checks their tires HOT??????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

IMHO still not a good idea as the HOT temps vary wildly.
If you are heated up and below "MAX" pressure you have a tire problem.

Well that first sentence depends on your definition of "wildly" I guess. Under similar conditions, the pressure should be similar.

And I don't think I agree with that second sentence at all.....but not sure what you are trying to say.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
Devocamper wrote:
I carry a small CO2 tank with regulator and hose takes less room than a compressor that takes forever to get to the higher PSI's and I am able to get the 110 psi with no problem, only use it on the road if I need to adjust tire pressure . I made my own set up but take a look at Power Tank brand you will get the idea. Off road guys use these tanks to air their tires back up after rock climbing or running off road
m

I've had a Power Tank for several years. Very happy with it.

I have the 15# model. In retrospect the 10# would have been more than adequate.

Power Tank is expensive but here's a link to PT, which has good info, applications, etc. -

Power Tank

This "DIY" info is available on many off-road forums.

Although this thread (w/pics & info) on the Jeep forum is from 2011, most of the links provided are still active.

BTW - a couple of years ago) I spent *less* than the costs stated in the thread (which was considerably less than Power Tank)........

Jeep Forum: "Build Your Own C02 Tank System - High Quality & Lowest Cost"

Benefits:
*NO* waiting to build and/or maintain desired pressure.

*NO* electrical connection required.

Easily take it where you need it.

BEST of all........SILENT !!..:C

~

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
While my 12v MV-50 rated 150 psi may take its time I also think it would work fine in a pinch.
Yes regular maintenance I would be looking for more power.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a latch on air chuck that makes airing up tires with a low volume compressor like my cheapie pancake one. Took 5 to 10 minutes each to air up the trucks rear tires from 50 to 75 this morning to haul some concrete wall blocks. To our RV lot.

We just went from LRE tired trailer to a LRG tired one. I have ordered a new digital pressure gauge and will have to think about a better portable compressor.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam Spade wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The problem is you are supposed to air tires when cold.

True but if they are HOT and below your target COLD pressure, you know that they need some air. And pumping them up to your cold target is better than leaving them even lower. Going +5 would be even better.

If you have checked them hot a few times before, then you should know what is "normal" for those conditions.

IMHO still not a good idea as the HOT temps vary wildly. If you are heated up and below "MAX" pressure you have a tire problem.

A lot of campgrounds have air available. Best to carry a way to pressurize your own tires.

I have never checked my pressures hot until looking at my built in monitoring system on my truck.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think I would bother with carrying a compressor that can reach 120psi. Every one that has been mentioned will be so slow that you won't want to use it. I carry a Harbor Freight pancake compressor. It is capable of over 100psi. And it runs pretty good. I used it to nail down 500sq/ft of hardwood flooring recently, just because it was easier than stringing hose from my shop compressor. To use it on the road I would have to dig out the generator, dig out the compressor, and then wait forever for it to top up a tire. I figure that would be okay in an emergency, to limp to town for example. I guess I'm just saying that you won't find it very convenient. And you can limp to town on 80psi.

If you do get a compressor, make sure you equip it with a fitting that will snap onto a tire stem. Because you're going to be connected for a long time, and you won't want to be kneeling and holding the chuck for an hour.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:

I assume 110 PSI air is available at most Love, Pilot-type truck stops?

Anybody use a portable air compressor? If so, what make/model?

In 50+ years of RVing I have found very few places that did not have compressors capable of 110 psi., even ones that require quarters.
If the tires and rims are rated to do so there is absolutely no reason not to. P
My tires and rims have that rating but I run at 100 lbs., simply because I choose to do so. At 110psi. the ride became harsher than I like, and any lower than 100psi. I experienced what I call squirm ( a tendency to follow ruts ).
As to compressors, I also have a Porter Cable pancake.

PS; I would like to believe everyone that has been driving a vehicle for any length of time has the common sense not to exceed the maximum rating, but according to one poster there must be some.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

True but if they are HOT and below your target COLD pressure, you know that they need some air. And pumping them up to your cold target is better than leaving them even lower. Going +5 would be even better.

If you have checked them hot a few times before, then you should know what is "normal" for those conditions.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
avvidclif1 wrote:
Since most big rig tires run at 110-120 PSI any truck stop should be good. Never seen one that didn't have adequate air.

I have the Sailuns and have not added air since I mounted them over a year ago. Good tire IMHO.

RUSSELL5000
Explorer
Explorer
There are 12V D.C. compressors that will do the job - Google will generate results. The downside is that these are expensive: $250 - $500.

I only need 80 psi so I got the smaller model ($250). Works great. Takes truck tire from 50 psi to 80 psi in a minute or two. Takes me more time to move from tire to tire than anything else when touching up.

Or carry air tank.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a 6 gal porter cable pancake comp for years to air up my g614,s to 110psi.Have you ever tried to get a big rig close to a tire shop when you need air,what a pain.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Since most big rig tires run at 110-120 PSI any truck stop should be good. Never seen one that didn't have adequate air.

I have the Sailuns and have not added air since I mounted them over a year ago. Good tire IMHO.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam Spade wrote:
otrfun wrote:

Just because the "tougher" tires you are buying allow for pressures up to 110 lbs does NOT mean that you should put that much in them.

In fact, you probably should NOT DO THAT and use close to the original recommended pressures if the load has not changed.

I personally think that getting good name brand tires is more important that putting on ones that are WAY over-rated for your application.

85psi is where he most likely should run them. I did the same and had great wear with many thousands of miles.

Use the weight/inflation chart and add 5psi. Per GY Tech Support when up sizing load range.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devocamper wrote:
I carry a small CO2 tank with regulator and hose takes less room than a compressor that takes forever to get to the higher PSI's and I am able to get the 110 psi with no problem, only use it on the road if I need to adjust tire pressure . I made my own set up but take a look at Power Tank brand you will get the idea. Off road guys use these tanks to air their tires back up after rock climbing or running off road
m

I've had a Power Tank for several years. Very happy with it.

I have the 15# model. In retrospect the 10# would have been more than adequate.
Larry