cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

110 PSI Air While on the Road

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about upgrading from 80 PSI E-rated tires to 110 PSI G-rated tires.

I assume 110 PSI air is available at most Love, Pilot-type truck stops?

Anybody use a portable air compressor? If so, what make/model?
66 REPLIES 66

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Certainly didn't want to start another tire debate. Just trying to focus on the logistical issue of finding reliable sources of air at 110 PSI.

You should be focusing on NOT doing something that will potentially be dangerous to you and others on the road.

You should NOT put 110 psi in your tires just because you CAN.
As mentioned, many RVs intended to use 80 have rims that are not designed to go to 110......and doing so can be dangerous.

There is no debate about that.

If you need the higher rated tires because of added weight AND you have the proper rims to do that, just say so and we can move on.

The cold inflation pressure for the G14 is 110. I prefer to listen to the manufacturer. I have had three sets of these ALWAYS at the suggested cold inflation pressure with no problems.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GoPackGo wrote:
And Amazon will have all the different Milton items available. Milton has several different heads available and the gages have different PSI ranges. The NAPA store may only have one gage. I DO like NAPA stores.

I like them less and less. They were always QUALITY, now you have to be real careful since they are trying to compete with the Chicom auto parts suppliers.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Devocamper wrote:
I carry a small CO2 tank with regulator and hose takes less room than a compressor that takes forever to get to the higher PSI's and I am able to get the 110 psi with no problem, only use it on the road if I need to adjust tire pressure . I made my own set up but take a look at Power Tank brand you will get the idea. Off road guys use these tanks to air their tires back up after rock climbing or running off road

No need to put on "airs" - go CO2 !!

Congrats on an xlnt and simple solution to the various 12V and/or 110V compressors!..:C

Ditto on making your own (easy!) and new aluminum CO2 tanks are available at reasonable prices from beverage companies.

Re-fill at any home brew stores, paint ball, and of course welding supply.

Carry one in my truck, one in the trailer.
(Yeah - several compressors at home)

Off-roaders have been using 'em for years - air down for off-road, then re-inflate via CO2 to higher pressure for the asphalt.
The sources for the regulator (etc.) are avail on lots of off-road sites.

Carry one for (in) my truck, one for (in) the trailer.

"Power Tank" is a good place to look at what is available - the how, why, uses, etc. (But they *are* pricey if purchased from them)...;)

BTW - to the newbie poster who says he will stop here and there & slip somebody $5. to check his air pressure........
Spend the $5. on a gauge, check it yourself whenever you stop....
and better yet get a TPMS and read air pressure going down the road, as well as being alerted to a tire losing air *BEFORE* you stop for your ap checks!

Flats and/or a blowout can/will ruin your day!

~

I am to old to crawl around. For a couple of bucks I let George do it.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
And Amazon will have all the different Milton items available. Milton has several different heads available and the gages have different PSI ranges. The NAPA store may only have one gage. I DO like NAPA stores.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
sonora wrote:
rvrev2 wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
I full time and my tires only need 80 PSI. I carry a small air compressor and have a couple of quality Milton gauges for checking tire pressure. Keep in mind that once set at home before you leave on a trip, tire pressure doesn't change much over the course of several months. If you're just taking occasional trips or one long summer trip, I wouldn't bother carrying a compressor. Check them at home before you leave. If you develop a tire problem that causes pressure to drop, having an air compressor along won't help.

Thanks for the heads up on the Milton gauges. I have been looking for a quality tire pressure gauge, but can't seem to find them here. I'll shop on Amazon for that brand.

Your local NAPA store will have them.

Possibly, and most likely at 2X the price.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
rvrev2 wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
I full time and my tires only need 80 PSI. I carry a small air compressor and have a couple of quality Milton gauges for checking tire pressure. Keep in mind that once set at home before you leave on a trip, tire pressure doesn't change much over the course of several months. If you're just taking occasional trips or one long summer trip, I wouldn't bother carrying a compressor. Check them at home before you leave. If you develop a tire problem that causes pressure to drop, having an air compressor along won't help.

Thanks for the heads up on the Milton gauges. I have been looking for a quality tire pressure gauge, but can't seem to find them here. I'll shop on Amazon for that brand.

Your local NAPA store will have them.

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the onboard VIAIR system just for this reason. It's sometimes hard find 110 psi on the road and when I'm at campground I always turn on my TPMS system day before I leave to check pressure incase I picked up something on trip I can repair it or add pressure if need be.
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
X2. I haven't had to add air in over a year.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:
Appreciate all the responses. Certainly didn't want to start another tire debate. Just trying to focus on the logistical issue of finding reliable sources of air at 110 PSI.

Has anyone actually used their pancake compressor to air up a set of G-rated tires from, say, 80 PSI to 110 PSI? My 240 volt home compressor takes a minute or so just to air up my rear truck tires from 55 to 80 PSI.

Thanks!
It's going to take a low-powered "pancake" compressor a fair amount of time to go from 80 psi to 110 psi, but OTOH how often do you do that? I never have, and if you are doing it more than once you've got problems.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
Appreciate all the responses. Certainly didn't want to start another tire debate. Just trying to focus on the logistical issue of finding reliable sources of air at 110 PSI.

Has anyone actually used their pancake compressor to air up a set of G-rated tires from, say, 80 PSI to 110 PSI? My 240 volt home compressor takes a minute or so just to air up my rear truck tires from 55 to 80 PSI.

Thanks!

I air my G rated trailer tires with the 150 PSIG compressor, but am not much worried about the time. I guess being retired has some advantages.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
RUSSELL5000 wrote:
There are 12V D.C. compressors that will do the job - Google will generate results. The downside is that these are expensive: $250 - $500.

Here is a 12v compressor good for 175psi that draws 200 amps :B $1,700 ๐Ÿ˜ž

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Miltons that I got through Amazon - S976 and S986. You will not believe how heavy duty these are.

I also bought their S916 Inflator Gage when using my air compressor. There are several Milton Inflators gages with different heads available. You may recognize these as what you used to see being used by attendants in SERVICE stations years ago.

rvrev2
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG
2005 Chevy 2500 HD, crew cab, long bed
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
with a tire monitor as the TST we have it is easy to understand why the tires change pressure and heat build up. The sun and road really change the numbers from side to side.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110