I's siding on a 2 Wheel. Pulling a
Keystone RV Mountaineer 375FLF Fifth Wheels
Hitch Weight 2,120 lbs
Dry Weight 11,916 lbs
60 REPLIES 60

elkabong
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing this RV thing for 30 years. Always had a 2WD pickup and I live in Denver(mountains and snow). Retired now, but besides my own RV I do some transport for a local dealer(I-80 and the weather that goes with it is my workplace). In all that time I have only needed a tow once(wet grass in Florida) and insurance paid for that.
However, I do consider myself an RVer and not a camper and I have one simple rule. If I need 4WD to go...Then I don't go.
It's also a matter of economics. 2WD is less expensive to buy, maintain and fuel. Also my 5er lines up dead level with no modifications needed.
Like others have said though, it all depends on where you plan go and what you plan to do with your rig. Only you know the answer to that.

Ken
"TooLoose WeTrek"

Ken & Cindy
04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2wd, 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tin Pusher wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Also pulling one side up on thick blocks

Like if changing a tire also. I can put the HD in 4-Lo and just about idle up onto it. Saves some roadside drama 🙂
Agreed

Use 4low for pulling up on my trailer aid plus.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Jettech109
Explorer
Explorer
Had my trailer parked on my uncles property for hunting season. Just a bit off gravel. It iced and snowed 5" the night before I brought it home. Thank god for 4x4. They don't do much snow removal right after stom. Would have had to wait out weather if I did not have. Worth the extra couple K when u need it.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Have owned one 2 wheel drive and three four wheel drive. Will never be without four wheel drive again. Living in the country we use 4x4 in wet fields and muddy roads. I also have to use 4x4 to get my fiver up the back gravel drive to park it. I like the adage, its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Also, two wheel drive trucks are hard to come by here. Good luck in your choice.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Why have 4 wheel drive vs. 2 wheel drive
1. Living in Frederick you will encounter snow
2. Gives you the option to get out of a jam,be it loose gravel, mud or wet grass
3. Higher demand at resale time.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends. It depends on alot of things. Perfectly happy with 2wd drive here. The truck is not used for anything but RV trips. It sits in a barn November to April.

There is no desire to go offroading. If there is, we rent a jeep. Sightseeing gravel roads is just fine truck only.

Been stuck twice with the trailer. Once in a CG, snow on almost flat paved CG road. Second time on a very muddied up hayfield in Oskosh WI. Got ourselves out in both events. First time there was nobody to help. At Oskosh everyone was getting stuck 4WD or not.

We carry insurance for getting stuck. It is a towrope. The theory is that there is always some macho guy, with his 4WD looking for a chance to use it, not far away. Over 120,000 miles & never used the rope but it is there. Our biggest risk of getting stuck is at events such as bluegrass festivals where we are drycamping on a field. At events such as those the organizers are usually prepared with a tractor available to drag people onto solid ground.

If I was needing a truck as a daily driver, winter driving, offroad farm driving, I would have 4WD. For our style of RVing, not necessary at all.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I have owned nothing but 4WD since 1985. And it gets used plenty.

I have this disease. Cannot pass a dirt road without being drawn toward finding where it goes.

Paved highways do not go to the best places.

If you don't suffer from the need to explore, you will be happy with 2WD.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
2 Weeks ago we were the last to arrive on a family camp-out. There was only one place we could set up and it was pretty sandy backing in to it. I truly thought 2WD would be fine but I bogged down and I'm not sure I could have pulled forward to get out. In the end I just dropped the truck into 4 Low and finished backing in with little effort,

As it has already been stated, you don't need 4WD until you do.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that 4X4 owners defend the heck out of having one. I have had one 4X4 but will never go back. I bought that one used.

I run improved roads. My 2WD's suit my needs and I never give a hoot about resale. Whoah, if I pay the money for the 4X4 up front, how am i making money on a resale. :h

The choice should be up to you and your needs.

But then of course there is peer pressure and being cool.

I think you should figure out what your specific needs are and then go with 2 or 4 accordingly.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Florida it is nice to have in the HEAVY rain. Keeps the back end from breaking away when running solo.

I also agree with the good points when operating on wet grass or loose gravel. Low range is great for spotting the trailer. Then, there are places like Alpine Pass above Pritkin, Colorado, where you can run into a foot of sloppy snow in late June.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Also pulling one side up on thick blocks

Like if changing a tire also. I can put the HD in 4-Lo and just about idle up onto it. Saves some roadside drama 🙂
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
4WD is a must in my world. Get a little bit stuck in 2WD, hit the switch and you are no longer stuck. No embarrassment, no wrecker bill, and no damage from spinning wheels.

On another note: You don't really need insurance on anything (unless the law calls for insurance) but insurance is really nice to have if you have a loss or damage to a covered vehicle. Your choice, but like others have said, 4WD option improves your resale value.

Lakeside

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not a real need, but certainly nice to have when you do! I never need it for towing, but after we unhook and start doing some sightseeing, thats when I wished I had it! I purchase a used truck in 08, and it didn't have 4 wheel drive, but you can't have everything! Good Luck!
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
As golf_bears noted above, you don't need it until until you need it, and then you'd wish you had it. I towed for several years with 2wd, and did fine except for one time when the slope was steep and the grass was wet. Kept a tow rope in the rig and counted on a kind neighbour to help me out. No big deal there.

At the end of the 2013 season, I traded out my older 2wd gasser for a 4wd D/A to accommodate a larger trailer. Timing couldn't have been better. Winter came to the midwest in a bit way, with 50 inches of snow on the ground versus our normal 25 to 30 over the season. While we didn't even attempt to tow in that, I can tell you that the truck in 4wd got me places that any 2wd vehicle couldn't have gone. Glad I had it, and wouldn't do without it again.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

huron52
Explorer
Explorer
When I got my truck I went for the 4wd. Almost always had a 4wd truck. I don't normally drive my truck in the snow so I don't feel the need there. But even in saying that I have needed it on wet green. Other wise it would have been a tow job to get me out.
I have a manual transmission and I have installed free wheeling hubs on it. Backing in with the hubs unlocked with the transfer case in low sure saves the jerking of the whole unit backing. I can almost always let the clutch out all together and just use the throttle. Couldn't do that if I didn't have that transfer case.
2006 Dodge quad cab RAM 3500 drw 4X4 6 speed stick
2007 Fleetwood Redline 335 Toy Hauler