cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 F350 Lariat with 7.3L Diesel

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
We have heard from our trusted mechanic that if you want the best diesel in a TV, go with the 7.3L in the F-350 from 1999-2003. We have found one in great shape, only 75K miles and sweet price. Our intel is that this thing is a towing beast and we cant go wrong with it.
Any thoughts on this TV from the forum would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
37 REPLIES 37

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DZacco wrote:
Granted, the cooler is/was a problem (easily fixed with the 6.0 cooler)but the main problem is the solenoids and clutch pack in stock form. These transmissions are modifiable to 1,000hp+ by the right builder such as Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hill AR. There are a few builders across the country who do this as well. They will custom build and match the transmission to your power and towing requirements. My 2001 F250 was putting down 460hp with 1050lbs torque on the dyno and it still would not keep up with my stock Duramax and the 6spd transmission when towing, especially in the mountains. The 4spd was always out of the power band. It had a higher low gear and lower hi gear ratios with fewer gears in between. Sure, the Ford would smoke the chevy (literally) when I poured on the coal but exhaust temps would go through the roof. If I could have put the 6spd Allison behind the 7.3, I would still be driving the Ford. Except for the tranny, the Ford was a superior truck in every respect. Brakes, steering, build quality, durability, you name it and it was all truck, not a SUV hybrid.

It stills falls back on keeping the transmission cool, yes build them up, then the etg's get ya, but just run a decent tuner, 4" exhaust bigger intercooler, and intake , to help keep the ETG's down, and don't try to pound them up the mountains, and that stock transmission will last a long time. I will say again heat killed them ,keep them cool, and it won't , and by the way I will meet you at the top of the mountain, just give me a extra minute or two, but if not we will meet at the end a couple minutes apart.

DZacco
Explorer
Explorer
Granted, the cooler is/was a problem (easily fixed with the 6.0 cooler)but the main problem is the solenoids and clutch pack in stock form. These transmissions are modifiable to 1,000hp+ by the right builder such as Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hill AR. There are a few builders across the country who do this as well. They will custom build and match the transmission to your power and towing requirements. My 2001 F250 was putting down 460hp with 1050lbs torque on the dyno and it still would not keep up with my stock Duramax and the 6spd transmission when towing, especially in the mountains. The 4spd was always out of the power band. It had a higher low gear and lower hi gear ratios with fewer gears in between. Sure, the Ford would smoke the chevy (literally) when I poured on the coal but exhaust temps would go through the roof. If I could have put the 6spd Allison behind the 7.3, I would still be driving the Ford. Except for the tranny, the Ford was a superior truck in every respect. Brakes, steering, build quality, durability, you name it and it was all truck, not a SUV hybrid.
2012 Open Range RF316RLS
2007 2500 Duramax/Allison

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
The transmissions are just fine, IF you added an aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler was a joke, mine has over 220,000 miles and runs and shifts like new pulling over 10,000 lbs.

Atom Ant wrote:
Transmissions were awful.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

suse1023
Explorer
Explorer
mine was built early march of 02--and she arrived on my birthday--a vision in oxford white with bronze trim tricked-out one ton beauty---and absolutely a 7.3 engine!

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
butchfuzion wrote:
Remember too that not all 2003's had the 7.3. Ford changed to the 6.0 in the middle of 2003. The early 6.0's had a lot of problems. Just make sure that the one your looking at is really the 7.3. A lot of times people just assume that a 2003 isk a 7.3.

This is correct. The 6.0L diesel engine mated with a different transmission became available mid 2003 model year. The dealers were pushing the new engine and having trouble selling the remaining 7.3's . Bought my 7.3L significantly under invoice.Glad I did now. The early 6.0's had big time problems.

Majikal-Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Yes about the GCVW but they are a beast and will pull anything behind them, be it slower but it will get to the top of that hill.Just put mine up for sale and maybe look at a Dodge 5.9.
94 F-350
Jersey Joe and Marianne with Dale the cat. #3

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
Remember too that not all 2003's had the 7.3. Ford changed to the 6.0 in the middle of 2003. The early 6.0's had a lot of problems. Just make sure that the one your looking at is really the 7.3. A lot of times people just assume that a 2003 isk a 7.3.

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall the 2002 F350 Dually has less towing capacity than a F250 because the dually is heavier. The only advantage is the pin weight on the F350. And if I also remember properly the total combined weight rating of the truck and trailer is around 20,000 lbs depending heavily on configuration such as 4WD, CC, etc. That would probably dictate a 5th wheel or trailer less than 12,000 to 13,000 lbs

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 has 205,000 miles. To this date I have had to replace the starter and have the a/c fixed. I am one happy camper so far.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
suse1023 wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
suse1023 wrote:
i'm told that with some modifications my 2001 7.3 dually 4x4 crew can pull (or more importantly--STOP!!) upwards of it's rating--any one know which mods are going to achieve this?
i don't want to walk into a diesel performance shop and be completely ignorant!!

After all the mods you still are going to have a truck with the same GVWR.

this is where i get confused---so many here (and on the horse boards) rave about these trucks, and many pull much over the weight limit---i want to do it well, not on the edge-so am trying to figure out if we should trade in the 7.3 dually 4x4 for maybe a newer 550 in order to be as safe as possible, or if that's just crazy talk and this truck (under 50k riginal miles!) is plenty big for the rig we're looking for.
(under 36ft with a few slides for full timing)
still thinking on it...your responses both help and give me more to think about!!!!

What is the loaded weight of the RV you are referring to?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

suse1023
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:
suse1023 wrote:
i'm told that with some modifications my 2001 7.3 dually 4x4 crew can pull (or more importantly--STOP!!) upwards of it's rating--any one know which mods are going to achieve this?
i don't want to walk into a diesel performance shop and be completely ignorant!!

After all the mods you still are going to have a truck with the same GVWR.

this is where i get confused---so many here (and on the horse boards) rave about these trucks, and many pull much over the weight limit---i want to do it well, not on the edge-so am trying to figure out if we should trade in the 7.3 dually 4x4 for maybe a newer 550 in order to be as safe as possible, or if that's just crazy talk and this truck (under 50k riginal miles!) is plenty big for the rig we're looking for.
(under 36ft with a few slides for full timing)
still thinking on it...your responses both help and give me more to think about!!!!

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
wkswenson wrote:
One note - Get under and look at the oil pan - if it is seriously rusted could be $3-5K to replace depending on who does it...

I repaired my pan with a kit from Damian Diesel. Total cost was less than $300. You can see a demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnFCb46IO8
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
If the price is right, snap it up. True, tranny is weak link. When the factory tranny goes replace it with a John Wood towmaster and a 6.0L 31 row cooler. Install gauges and a DP chip, 4" turbo back exhaust and you can run with the big dogs and get a lot better mileage. There is no cat, EGR, or DPF on these trucks.
Engines are simple enough for the average guy to perform the minimal maintenance required. Also, with the DP chip you can get the DECEL tune that serves as an exhaust brake.
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Towing with a 2002 7.3L F350 DRW 4x4 - 40+' @~17Klbs without any mods to the truck.

Runs good (noisy when cold otherwise the 2002 year was ok sound wise - had a 99 that was nick-named clanky) - no smoke - pulls like a beast with plenty of power to spare.

One note - Get under and look at the oil pan - if it is seriously rusted could be $3-5K to replace depending on who does it...

Match the engine to a BTS transmission ($5K) and it is near bullet proof. (Will be our replacement tranny when time)
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"