Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 fifth wheel issues

Hookngo
Explorer
Explorer
Let me run this by you guys and gals,

I bought a New 2014 Voltage 3200. I decided the truck I had wasn't enough. So I purchased a New 2014 3500 Ram DRW SLT. The toy hauler is ready to go ... but the truck isn't. I've waited and waited. Come to find out the 20k Reese I bought the brackets won't fit the 2014 truck.

Dodge upgraded the entire frame and suspension components, thus, having a hard time finding brackets to fit the frame for the install. Has anyone else had to go through this nightmare. I would have NEVER imagined this of all things!! go figure, I was focused on getting the trailer issues corrected over the last several weeks. NOW cant even get it off the lot.

My truck does not have the gooseneck 5th wheel package set-up like some do 14 Rams do... however, that would be an issue too. No after market brands makes brackets for it yet I'm told by the dealer . Their still working on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cummins 6.7
35 REPLIES 35

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch & Di wrote:
NC, did you run into any problems with the height of the hitch being an issue with the height of the Ram's bed rails? I've heard they're higher on the Rams, but I'm not sure. I also have a 20K Reese (not sure what model) that I really like, so keeping it and saving the money would be a plus. On top of that, it's only a couple of years old.

We had to have our 5th wheel raised by using different bolt holes in our Mor Ryde suspension. We also lowered our pin box to gain more clearance. Hate to think what we would have had to do if we had a 4 x 4 and a crew cab which is higher yet. We wanted the single cab and 2 wheel drive like we had before. We almost hit our bed rails twice until we could get to Vegas and have the work done.
We now have almost 7 inches of clearance. Hugs, Di

I've owned a 2010, 2012 and now the 2014 Ram dually in my sig...thus far, this one is the highest from the ground to the top of the tailgate rim....All 4 wheel drive dually's. Don't know why these manufacturers want to build these trucks taller with each year.:h

The picture frame adapter, be it a Reese or a Mopar ,(they're identical), is taller than the regular rails that set in the trucks bed....I was fortunate to some extent, I LOWERED my Reese hitch ONE notch and have just a tad over 5 inches of clearance between the 5er and my trucks bed rails. BUT, some of the differences could be in the manufacturer of our 5er's. Mine might have already been a little higher off the ground than yours.

My 5er is almost 8 yrs old and I'm doing some revamping on it..going from 3500# spring packs to 4000# spring packs (couple of springs looking weak and thought I'd go with more robust springs)..not planning on loading it any heavier (still have 7,000# axles, just wanted to make it "better"....with this and a few other things, I will probably pick up about another inch or so in height on my 5er..BUT, I've been over the several steep places that I have to transverse to get where we need to go, (one backing up my driveway and leveling off to park and the other is going to our camp), so far I've had enough clearance, but again, will end up with at least another inch of bed clearance with new upgrades on 5er.

I knew that Reese also had an issue with getting enough of their picture frame adapters on the market, but I also know that the Mopar had actually become easier to get, (at least in the last couple of months)...bummer is, Mopar charges $200 more than Reese :M Did you try to get the adapter from Mopar, or were they also out of the adapter?

I like the idea of a couple of the manufacturers coming out with hitches where the legs will fit into the Ram's 5er/GN prep package, BUT, "I" already had a hitch and didn't really want to get rid of it, so the reason I waited out the adapter

hope this helped.

RVBlade,
Believe most of the above should have answered your questions also. You, like me, wanted to keep my hitch, so can't blame you for that....thus the reason I waited for the adapter, (though quite mad about it).

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
NC, did you run into any problems with the height of the hitch being an issue with the height of the Ram's bed rails? I've heard they're higher on the Rams, but I'm not sure. I also have a 20K Reese (not sure what model) that I really like, so keeping it and saving the money would be a plus. On top of that, it's only a couple of years old.

We had to have our 5th wheel raised by using different bolt holes in our Mor Ryde suspension. We also lowered our pin box to gain more clearance. Hate to think what we would have had to do if we had a 4 x 4 and a crew cab which is higher yet. We wanted the single cab and 2 wheel drive like we had before. We almost hit our bed rails twice until we could get to Vegas and have the work done.
We now have almost 7 inches of clearance. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
No we are talking about the Reese picture frame adapter. The dealer tried to order the Reese hitch which was not available for our 2014 Ram. We called Reese directly to verify this and were told in September 2013 that no Reese picture frame would be available til mid 2014. The Dealer ordered the 25K Chrysler Curt Hitch which arrived with the Reese picture frame adapter-which has the Chrysler part number. This all had to be done because there was no 25K Reese hitch available for our 2014 and we sold our truck with our old 17 year Reese hitch. Hugs, Di
NC Hauler wrote:
Dutch & Di,
Believe we may be talking about two different things. I have the 5er/GN prep package in my truck...I needed a picture frame adapter to mount my Reese 20K Signature hitch...MOPAR was very slow in getting the picture frame adapter to the market, and at that time, were the only manufacturers of the picture frame adapter, (we're talking from the time the 13's came out, until late 13'...now Reese also makes the "picture frame adapter"...THAT is what I was talking about. I got a picture frame adapter and then attached my Reese 20K Signature hitch to the picture frame adapter, which attached into the cam locks in the bed of y truck. I already had a 5er hitch I wanted to use. I believe you may be talking about a hitch that COMES with the leg's of the hitch configured to mount into the 5er/GN prep package that can be ordered on the truck, bypassing the purchase of a picture frame adapter. If that's the case, you are right, Reese is still working on that one, but if not mistaken, either B&W or Curt one, (can't remember which), DO have a 5er hitch that comes with the legs that will lock into the prep package like the picture frame adapter would.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

RVBlade
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Dutch & Di,
Believe we may be talking about two different things. I have the 5er/GN prep package in my truck...I needed a picture frame adapter to mount my Reese 20K Signature hitch...MOPAR was very slow in getting the picture frame adapter to the market, and at that time, were the only manufacturers of the picture frame adapter, (we're talking from the time the 13's came out, until late 13'...now Reese also makes the "picture frame adapter"...THAT is what I was talking about. I got a picture frame adapter and then attached my Reese 20K Signature hitch to the picture frame adapter, which attached into the cam locks in the bed of y truck. I already had a 5er hitch I wanted to use. I believe you may be talking about a hitch that COMES with the leg's of the hitch configured to mount into the 5er/GN prep package that can be ordered on the truck, bypassing the purchase of a picture frame adapter. If that's the case, you are right, Reese is still working on that one, but if not mistaken, either B&W or Curt one, (can't remember which), DO have a 5er hitch that comes with the legs that will lock into the prep package like the picture frame adapter would.

2005 Ford F350 CC Lariat DRW
2012 Sanibel 3400
DW & DS (10)
Ceaser (our 140 lb Bull Mastiff) & Sake' (our 135 lb Akita)

talonhead
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy at work's Dad has an '13 2500 without 5er/GN pkg. He just got a preproduction set of brackets and under-bed rails from Curt for their slider hitch. I'm trying to get pictures of the install.
MikeH
2014 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Dually 4WD (True Blue Pearl) w/Alcoa's & paint match bumpers.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch & Di,
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
There are quite a few Reese hitches that would fit on the picture frame adapter. Don't understand that Reese didn't have a hitch to fit the picture frame adapter.
We felt the same way but spoke directly to Reese and were told that their was NO Reese hitch that would be available by October of 2013 when we were to pick up our ordered 2014. They would not have a 2014 Reese hitch until sometime in early 2014. Hugs, Di

NC Hauler wrote:
Dutch & Di wrote:
We wanted the Reese for our 2014 Ram but they told us it wouldn't be available til mid 2014. We had the dealer get a Curt hitch and believe it or not, it has a Reese picture frame so that the Curt hitch would have something to fit into. Can't believe Reese had a picture frame that would fit our 2014 Ram but didn't have a hitch available.
The Curt hitch works well once we welded the hitch to the frame to stop the clunking! We are not going to take it out so welding it was not a problem. Hugs, Di
Hookngo wrote:
Let me run this by you guys and gals,

I bought a New 2014 Voltage 3200. I decided the truck I had wasn't enough. So I purchased a New 2014 3500 Ram DRW SLT. The toy hauler is ready to go ... but the truck isn't. I've waited and waited. Come to find out the 20k Reese I bought the brackets won't fit the 2014 truck.

Dodge upgraded the entire frame and suspension components, thus, having a hard time finding brackets to fit the frame for the install. Has anyone else had to go through this nightmare. I would have NEVER imagined this of all things!! go figure, I was focused on getting the trailer issues corrected over the last several weeks. NOW cant even get it off the lot.

My truck does not have the gooseneck 5th wheel package set-up like some do 14 Rams do... however, that would be an issue too. No after market brands makes brackets for it yet I'm told by the dealer . Their still working on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cummins 6.7

reese picture frame adapter is identical to the mopar picture frame adapter...I have the GN/5er prep package and got a picture frame adapter back in July and mounted my 20K Reese Signature hitch onto the adapter. There are quite a few Reese hitches that would fit on the picture frame adapter. Don't understand that Reese didn't have a hitch to fit the picture frame adapter.

The B&W turnover ball and hitch can be mounted to the Ram's, even if one doesn't have the prep package, they can still use the center frame set up for a turnover ball. a

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the MY 2012 is the same as the 2013 with the 2500's. They did change in MY 2014 though.
Now the frame did change in the MY 2012 to 2013, and yet again in 2014 with the added option of rear air ride suspension in the 3500's IIRC.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
jbmoo wrote:
that's not what they told me. I didn't know, that was my first 2500 and they said the frame changed for 13. that's all I know.

the 13' 2500 had the same frame as the 2012, but Ram upped GVWR and GCWR...in 14' they put the new frame underneath the 2500..but the 13' had the same frame as the 12'...(you can go to the "cummins forum", go to 4th generation, 2013 and up and do the search....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

jbmoo
Explorer
Explorer
that's not what they told me. I didn't know, that was my first 2500 and they said the frame changed for 13. that's all I know.
jbmoo
2013 ram 2500 cummins
2004 hr savoy

jbmoo
Explorer
Explorer
that's not what they told me. I didn't know, that was my first 2500 and they said the frame changed for 13. that's all I know
jbmoo
2013 ram 2500 cummins
2004 hr savoy

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
jbmoo wrote:
I bought a 2013 2500 shortbed diesel. I too had a problem finding a hitch to fit in it. I called all around and nobody carried an application for the new frames in the ram short bed. finally , about to give up I found out that camper world in Asheville had one in fact the only one at the time to fit it. an automatic sliding hitch glide rite I think is the name. put it in and no problems.

Hey, you're just "over the mountain" from me:)....Wonder why they had an issue with the 2013 2500?, it had the same frame as the 12'..Frame didn't change until 2014 in the 2500..New frame wasn't in the 13'....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

jbmoo
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2013 2500 shortbed diesel. I too had a problem finding a hitch to fit in it. I called all around and nobody carried an application for the new frames in the ram short bed. finally , about to give up I found out that camper world in Asheville had one in fact the only one at the time to fit it. an automatic sliding hitch glide rite I think is the name. put it in and no problems.
jbmoo
2013 ram 2500 cummins
2004 hr savoy

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

It would also be hard to move a traveling companions trailer during a TV break down similar to those with a slider wedge installed.
chris

May be true for the sliders with the wedge, but for the sidewinder that uses a wedge, you only need to have the right size allen wrench to remove the wedge and the 2 lock out bolts that come with the sidewinder, so it can be towed with a conventional hitch.
This is less than 5 minutes of work after you unhitch.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues