cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 f250 towing fifth wheel

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 F250 Single wheel and am looking to get a toy hauler. Truck is a crew cab short bed and will have a B&W slider hitch. Im new to fifth wheel rv's and was lookin a suggestion on what size to get. Id like to have a separate garage if possible. Again I'm new to this so any help would be helpful.

truck info
2017 F250 crew cab short bed 4x4
heavy duty tow package 10;000lb gvw
3.55 gears
56 REPLIES 56

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
Keith P wrote:
So I was finally able to weigh my truck today. Rear axle weight was 3540. that is full of fuel and me. Just wasn't able to get the family together to get it done.

So based on your earlier post of having a RAWR of 6340 that leaves you with 2800 left over for pin weight.
Did you weigh it with the hitch in the truck? That's higher than I thought it would be.

No I have not bought a hitch yet because I don't know that a fifth wheel will work. I have a B&W gooseneck so I was leaning toward a companion due go ease but it appears its heavy.

BlindGuynAR
Explorer
Explorer
If you use an Andersen alum hitch you "could" gain back a hundred to a hundred fifty pounds back. While widely debated across the forums I love mine and it only weighs 28~ lbs. food for thought.
2013 Montana 346LBQ Mountainer edition
2017 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW
- B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
- Transfer Flow 40ga aux tank/tool box
- Gatorback Mud Flaps
- Ultimate Camera Package

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Keith P wrote:
So I was finally able to weigh my truck today. Rear axle weight was 3540. that is full of fuel and me. Just wasn't able to get the family together to get it done.

So based on your earlier post of having a RAWR of 6340 that leaves you with 2800 left over for pin weight.
Did you weigh it with the hitch in the truck? That's higher than I thought it would be.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 KZ Sportsmen Sportster 311TH10 and love it. Has a separate 10' garage and a usable slide in the living area. GVWR is around 11,000 lb which makes it one of the lighter 5th wheel toy haulers with those features. We've done several weeks in it and found no significant problems.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely rather be overweight on a fifth wheel than a large travel trailer. My first toy hauler was a 27 foot bumper pull that was probably 10,000 fully loaded and I hated towing it. Pulled it with 5 different pickups and none were good. I then went to a 24 foot bumper pull that towed very well at 7,500 pounds or so. Now my 33 foot fifth wheel gets similar mileage as my 24 foot and better than my 27 foot bumper pulls. None have had a garage. If it were me personally, I would think about getting one without a separate garage, they are just as nice, actually more roomy, and more within your weight limits.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
JFI so we don't confuse the OP farther ......The OP asked for his trucks RAWR not the axle mfg number.
Remember RAWR is determined by the truck maker and includes the lessor of the tires/wheels and rear spring pack. Its on the trucks drivers side door opening certification tag.
Ford 17" truck whels carry a 3195 lb rating.
and 18" and 20" at 3590 lb rating.

I agree, for the sake of this conversation lets stick with the RAWR of 6340lb just to limit confusion.

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JFI so we don't confuse the OP farther ......The OP asked for his trucks RAWR not the axle mfg number.
Remember RAWR is determined by the truck maker and includes the lessor of the tires/wheels and rear spring pack. Its on the trucks drivers side door opening certification tag.
Ford 17" truck whels carry a 3195 lb rating.
and 18" and 20" at 3590 lb rating.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wagon_b0y
Explorer
Explorer
Keith P wrote:
I know this seems silly but how do I find my rawr for my truck. I know what the tires are but not sure what the rating is for the axle. I know it has 3.55 gears

Your actual axle rating from the manufacture of the axle is probably 10k lbs. Thats what my duramax is.

Tires are going to be the weakest link.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Keith P wrote:
Ok well I don't have the hitch yet but I know the weight I guess I could just add that to the weight at the end. this make since

Yea, look up the weight online and just add it. Most are around 32-3400. Yours should be a lot lighter, being made out of old beer cans and all. 😉

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
Ok well I don't have the hitch yet but I know the weight I guess I could just add that to the weight at the end. this make since

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Keith P wrote:
ok I see that rear gawr 6340. so I need to weigh the truck and subtract said rear weight from this 6340 number? So many numbers I've confused my self

Yes, go weigh the truck with the hitch, kids, wife, kitchen sink and subtract that rear axle weight from 6340.
BTW if you go to a CAT scale like at a truck stop you can download the app, link it to a PayPal account and won't have to go in to pay, or even get out of the truck.

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
ok I see that rear gawr 6340. so I need to weigh the truck and subtract said rear weight from this 6340 number? So many numbers I've confused my self

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Keith P wrote:
I know this seems silly but how do I find my rawr for my truck. I know what the tires are but not sure what the rating is for the axle. I know it has 3.55 gears

Not silly at all, nobody was born knowing all of this. Some that claim to, still don't. 😉

You'll find you axle weights on a second sticker on the door or jam. Like some of us have said, use that number, minus your empty weight to come up with your weight 'budget'.

I just weighed our new camper and it's sitting at 13K with exactly 3K on the pin. That puts me at 6400lb on the rear axle, yes I am VERY close to the 6500 rawr but I still have some things to adjust that'll get that number down some. Plus the garage was empty.

I know it's hard to figure out what to do since you are being told two different things so ask yourself this...
The 10K GVWR that you have is where the 'payload' number is derived from right ? right. So how can all 2500/250' be rated at the exact same 10K number regardless of brand, engine, trans, tires etc, etc. Look at the payload rating for your exact same truck with the gas engine, payload will be considerably higher because of the lighter engine, even though it has nothing to do with the rear suspension of the truck, but Ford will say you can carry more weight in the truck.

I'm not suggesting you go as big as me, I realize I'm on the upper limits of a single wheeled truck. But don't sell yourself short with a tag along toyhauler. My 13K 5er pulls better than my 9K TT.

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion