cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 MOBILE SUITES QC issues

MS2017
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new 2017 Mobile Suites RS3 in Jan. It was special ordered since they said they build less than 5 of this size a year. We went with their smallest unit so our truck could handle the weight. These are beautiful coaches inside and out. But, we have had almost a dozen warranty issues with our coach and its been at a dealer being worked on more that at our own home. And our first trip out for 2 was in Az we had even more trouble, A/C wasn't working properly. All of these issues are nothing but very poor QC at the factory and some simple livability issues that our 5 other RV's had. What it seems like who ever did the engineering design never owned an RV. Granted we had some issues with the others, but nothing to this extent. I'm wondering if others with MS or the ES have had the same quantity of issues. For the $137 price tag I find this whole experience unacceptable. If I had bought a luxury car in Colorado with all of these problems I'd take it back under the "lemon law" we have. I'd like to know if others out there have had similar issues. I do know that one owner of a 2016 44 foot MS we met in AZ has had multiple problems too. Let me know your thoughts.
19 REPLIES 19

kydale
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 MS. I'm replacing my Dometic refrigerator with a residential now. The TV went out a year ago. I've had problems with my vanity slide. That is working great right now. If I could have it any way I would want it I wouldn't have had any of those problems. But that's part of owning a fifth wheel. I think my MS is better looking than any other fifth wheel I've seen but I won't own another. The other problems I've had aren't ones you would catch at a PDI. And I'm not talking about the ones I've told you about. The guys at the factory have been very good responsive to me including Ed Fry. But if DRV don't make some changes they will continue to loose customers until they fade away. They've lost me.

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2010 MS,had a Travel Supreme,had an Alpenlite. Of the three,all presumably quality brands,the MS has been a clear winner on insulation (noise,temperature)and watertightness. All three had assembly QC issues,the MS neither best nor worst. At least for me,the relative cost of fifth wheels is all about the quality of components (trim,frame,running gear etc) because assembly QC throughout the industry is a **** shoot regardless of price.
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
WE bought 2013 and of course after the Tampa RV show where they sell 125 units in a week and promise delivery to everyone on the same day , well not much gets checked or fixed.
Anyway on the recommendation of another owner we used a sub contractor to do the warrantee and anything serious never got fixed. On a special trip from Niagara Falls ON to HOWE Indiana to the factory they fixed most everything in 3 days. The electronic mobile guy they used who thought he was smarter than me didn't address the furnace properly and the following xmas I bought the part from Lazy Days.
We have finally got some happy use out of it
PS you will be equipped with a Kant Leak control valve for tank fill, city fixture and bypass valve. Do not change from one to the other without turning the water off at the source
Don't give up just persevere it will get better and then you will have one of the best.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We were not impressed with our DRV quality wise. Wouldn't buy again. They are not worth the double you'll pay over say a Grand Design.

If I were looking in that category I might consider luxe. Still don't think the price is worth what you get though.

I would buy a Newmar again in a heart beat if it fit our needs and price.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
All off topic posts have been deleted. Please keep your remarks confined to the question the OP asked.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GottaGoCamping wrote:
We have a 2017 40KSSB4 Mobile Suite and have had no quality issues. Our previous unit was a Montana Big Sky and it spent 10 months out of 18 in the shop. Unfortunately, when you get a lemon it really stinks because these are not cheap.

You should really go buy a Lottery Ticket! Seriously you are a lucky person! Let's hope it stays trouble free for you.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GottaGoCamping
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 40KSSB4 Mobile Suite and have had no quality issues. Our previous unit was a Montana Big Sky and it spent 10 months out of 18 in the shop. Unfortunately, when you get a lemon it really stinks because these are not cheap.
Kyle
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4
2014 Ford F-450 Super Duty Crew Cab Fx4 6.7 Diesel w/65 gal. Titan fuel tank, Trailer Saver TS3 25K hitch.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
What it seems like who ever did the engineering design never owned an RV...I've said that for quite some time, funny to hear someone else make that comment too!! The design of these things with the itty bitty cabinets or lack of cabinets on some is ridiculous!! Plug in locations, same way but there's no excuse for bad QC on any of them let alone an expensive one that you would think would be quite a bit better!! I had been looking at their LX455 toy hauler at 125K purchase price but after reading and going to DRV forums I may start rethinking that purchase a bit.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

oldbird1965
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad I bought a 08 MS, to many horror stories on the new ones. Besides, all the smells of the new ones make my wife sick!
2008 Mobil Suites 36TK3, powerstroke one ton dually.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
As I said earlier, the dealer should have prepped the unit before delivery. Our Mobile Suites just returned from it's first service visit in almost 3 years - 1 day in the shop to have a failed Dometic A/C (a buyout item) replaced.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thor owns mobile suites now so what else would you expect

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
The QC issues started before Thor took over. I have a 2015 DRV Tradition which, by the way they don't make any more but it was in the shop and back at the factory nine out of the first 13 months I owned it. Wound up fixing most of the issues myself.

Very poor quality and customer service. Good lip service though.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"2017 Mobile Suites RS3" I'm thinking something is missing here? What is the complete model #? Mine for example is 39TKSB3.

I am also wondering what truck you have that a Mobile Suites had to be their smallest to fit your truck?

At 137K for the smallest unit seems VERY pricy. Are you talking list or what you paid?

I had 100 items on my punch list. I wish I would have had Rolling Retreats my selling dealer do my list instead of the factory. That was a JOKE!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
I wondered if the quality would go down hill once they were bought out.....I'm thinking it was Thor, I'm sure somebody will correct me if needed.

Yes, Thor
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.