cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36 ft FW vs 30 ft TT backing

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to see if my FW will fit a campsite I have booked. My FW is 36 ft overall and my dads TT is 30 ft. The CG says the TT will fit in the site, but the FW will not fit because of site access (too sharp of turn), not because the site is too small for my FW. I'm thinking they would be very similar in maneuverability because of my FW being over the axle. What say you?
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
35 REPLIES 35

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
Driver training schools for 18 wheelers as well as RV 5th wheel trailers offer several videos on YouTube that offer good advice for backing trailers. They offer right and left side, straight in backing as well as right and left parallel parking. After watching those videos, went to a parking lot and practiced each technique. Now after several years I still remember those techniques and have used all of them at various times and situation. Some of which were deemed near impossible by others. Of course it takes a fair amount of searching in YouTube, but they are available.

BTY I was a prime mover driver in the Army that had to back in howitzers for fire missions and I can assure you that 5th wheel trailers require different experience. All it takes to gain confidence is the proper technique training and practice.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Backing in a 5th wheel is far easier than a TT if you use the "Z" Method, pulling square up to a site an then trying to back into an site is a disaster waiting to happen ...

You have to get the tail end of the trailer pointed into the site to begin with, if you do this then your on the right track to get the job done, take your time, check your clearance's an back slowly ...

The rule has always been the longer the trailer the easier it is to back because the axles sit back further thus turn slower an give you time to correct when needed ... Good example, try backing up a wagon on the back of your riding lawn mower, then hook up your truck or car to a 30ft trailer of any type, which is easier 🙂

Safe travels 🙂

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have much trouble backing my boat, it's 18ft from the trailer ball to the front trailer axle. I'm hoping a 38ft TT wouldn't be that much harder if we go the TT route.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
For some places, google earth gives a pretty good idea of what the spot looks like, also gives a little perspective to what the road configuration is. trees in the way of course don't help, but check it out. some times it helps. Just take your time, bumps, bruises, dents and scratches, we all get em. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Just moved to 5er in December and it's kicking my butt learning to cut soon enough and running out of clearance on front of truck. Very frustrating since I've been backing various bumper pulls since I was 14 (on a tractor). Wife is learning to give better directions but hasn't figured out I'm giving all I can and it just takes longer to react.

I've never feared a spot I couldn't back in but I'm choosing carefully for now with a fifth wheel.

Can you get a good look on Google Earth to see about room for the front of the truck?
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
A 36 foot fiver would go anywhere a 30 foot tag would go.

X2 on this. I haves backed our 33 ft TT into a 40 ft site at a 90 degree angle no problem. .., it just takes practice and patience. I usually position my wife to stand on my pivot spot. If I back over her I know I turned too sharp

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisher Bill - I don't know if the Campgrounds would have much of an understanding of the subtle differences between backing a 5er and backing a TT. But I do however believe they would understand an irate camper standing in their office all pissed off because he couldn't back his fifth wheel into a particular site because, a couple of tree are situated in a particular bad spot, the electric post was in to close to a couple of huge rocks, or whatever. An irate customer is what the campground would long remember and make sure not to put a 36-foot fifth wheel on that site again. If the campground says it won't fit, I would tend to agree with the guy that knows about his own campground.

Everyone says they can put a 36-foot fifth wheel on the same site a 30-foot TT will fit. But then, they can's see the trees, bushes, elec post, water spigot, drop off across the road, telephone pole, low wire, slope on the site, or anything else that can effect what can go where.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I think there are other considerations, Being the tow guy for my Salty boat buddies I've towed a couple of boats about 30' counting the entire trailer and backing up a long bumper pulled trailer is fairly straight forward but looking at the main differences, pulled from bumper or from over the axle, I think they will react differently no matter what.

When the bumper pull follows you the bumper is leading, when I tow the 5er the point becomes closer to the cab over the axle and when I pull out I have to square off corners in order to make the corner.

I think the two styles might require a slightly different footprint (or tire print) to accomplish the same move.

I want to think my 5er axles will tear up the grass on the corners more so than a bumper pull rig if I were to steer out the same attitude.

Am I dreaming or could this be a factor in what the CC said about TT vs. FW in a particular site on their premises?

I'm also a big fan of checking out the site from space to help in choosing a site.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on the length of the truck too. A lot of federal, state and provincial campsites we get into, the nose of the truck ends up being 1 or 2 inches from an obstacle at the front or scraping the bushes at the front before I can get it straight enough to back in. Hence why **for me** I like supercab LB's, there has been a number of times I wouldnt get a cc LB in with my 34ft.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
In my limited experience, I find swinging the front end of the truck around to line up with the trailer to be the issue. Often there's trees or other obstacles that block the front of the truck from swinging to be in line with the trailer once the trailer is on the right path backwards. (I don't know if this same problem applies to TT.)
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Like others we have had both,
TT reacts a lot faster
Use the “Z” maneuver to put wheels near the inside corner
We have a slider and it does make the fifth wheel react faster
in the rear position but very seldom needed it.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I just went from a 30' bumper pull to a 39' 5er and the overall length when hooked to the truck is very similar since the 5er pivots up in the bed instead of the rear bumper. The biggest difference in backing the two is the 5er is slower to respond to steering inputs. When I back it into the driveway, I had to change my landmarks I use for lining up and turning. One challenge is leaving room to swing the front of the truck around to change direction. You'll do more of the pull forward, straighten out, and back up again with a 5er. Trailer space, I'm comfortable I can get it wherever I got the 30 footer. I have lots of bumper pull experience, and there has been a learning curve going to the 5er.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 35' TT that we towed with 2000 Excursion. Now we are backing a 42' FW with an F450 DRW long bed. I did the TT for 13 years and just finished my first year with the FW. I agree the TT reaction time is quicker, but I found the turning radius of the FW is greater. Also, I follow the Z method of backing the FW just as Valhalla360 suggested. This sets the tail end of the FW going in the right direction. Using Google Maps to see the site for preplanning is a great idea that I will be trying this next season. The key is a calm head, patience and sometimes accepting the fact you may have to pull forward or go around the block and try again. Don't get concerned about what others might think of your backing skills. Everyone has had bad days backing up. Happy Camping!
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
36' 5th wheel and 30' TT are going to be very similar in overall length (front truck bumper to rear trailer bumper). Lots of good info so far and I generally agree that you can put the 5th in the same space as the TT.

Everyone's got their method of backing up so just go with what works for you. My DW is an amazing woman in many ways but helping me back up an RV just isn't one of them. I go it alone and am fine with it. I congratulate those of you who can tag team it. I imagine it works out quicker/better in the end. Being alone in backing into spots, I just get out of the truck and evaluate several times, if needed. Of course, turning to the driver's side is way easier but turning the other way isn't bad. Just a few times getting out and getting a good line and I'm all set.

OP, if a 30' TT can fit, your 36' 5th will make it too... it just may take a bit more time and patience.