cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5er accidents

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
seems like the last few weeks have been really bad for 5ers here in NC. Why? My opinion.
Many have been sold that story about how 5ers tow so good that you don't even know there are there, and that is how they drive. Like it is not there, and they get themselves into situations they don't have to skills to get out of, or don't have the Tv to get them out of it. Also many don't appear to have a 5th wheel capable TV. As in. I'll just put airbags on it, and it will be fine. WRONG. Airbags do not increase it capacity of your TV.

Bottom line. Yes a 5er may or may not tow better than a tag along. But it is still a trailer hanging off the back of your truck, and it is still heavy, and it still moves the TV around some. Especially in the wind, and if your TV is not capable enough., and especially if you are tow really fast, and ignoring the trailer. You wouldn't believe the number of 5th wheels that pass me on the highway running 80, and 85 MPH. That folks is too fast. Even the big trucks don't run that fast as a rule.

So don't fall for the myth that "you won't even feel it" You will, and if you aren't being careful. It may feel you right off the road. Drive like you are towing a trailer, because you are. You can't change lanes as fast, you can't accelerate as fast, and you can't stop as fast. You can't do anything like you can with out a trailer behind you. Drive accordingly.

I'm tired of seeing campers scattered out all over the road. And yes. That goes for the tag alongs as well. But it just seems the 5ers are being driven with less caution than needed.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
61 REPLIES 61

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
rlw999 wrote:
I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.

Unless there is weather or other conditions coming into play...on a clear dry day, keeping up with traffic is generally safer on freeways.

Truck speed limits are put forth by politicians not traffic engineers.

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

But I'm with the other post asking what data is there that a lot of 5th wheel crashes are happening? I've seen far more bumper pulls in crashes over the years.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen a couple of TT flipped over lately, and they looked like bigger TT being pulled by 1/2 ton trucks or suv's. These dealers will sell people anything.
I tow my TT on the interstate around 65-68, but I'm amazed how many go flying past me.
I think the amount of power some of these diesels kick out now, they don't strain pulling at 80-85, so people do it.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Curious where all these accidents for FW's are in NC. And how is it more than the rest of the US per state? Do you have some data? And you seem to be making some bold assumption of drivers towing FW's as to the causes of the accidents. There could be a million reasons for accidents completely outside the responsibility of the drivers. I just find the post completely presumptuous.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
First thing my brother did when he got his Reflection, was to put stickers on his dash, saying height (measured) and width. Both of the truck and the FW. Unfortunately, he may lose it, as his wife is visiting her family in Alberta and she's loving driving it around, setting up, tearing down, dealing with what can be run on a 15a circuit, and just living in it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes, she grew up towing a 3-horse trailer with living quarters, so not a newb to towing.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I think some take the I can't tell it there approach and become too comfortable
going down the road.
On a good clear light traffic day its easy to get too comfortable.
Being too comfortable quickly turns into being careless.
Throw in bad conditions, a twisty road, blind spot or a sudden stop and suddenly you have an accident.
Having a questionable tow vehicle gives one less margin for error when unexpected things happen.
Having the correct tow vehicle should be the first priority. THe correct tow vehicle will give you the maximum safety margin even if that tow vehicle doesn't fit in the garage!... LOL...
Staying alert and attentive to road conditions is the next key to success.
THese simple priciples apply to 5'ers and bumper pullsas well as any oversize vehicle.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry, well, not really. If you don't know its back there, something's wrong. I can say my 10,000lb boat and trailer, on the hitch receiver, compared to my 15,000lb FW on a FW hitch, do tow differently, but I always know they are there.

People can get in trouble easily from a lack of skill, speed, poor maintenance, overloading, unseen road hazards, other stoopid drivers, and bad weather (sometimes seems like all the above). My only advice is to match tow vehicles to the load, keep speed reasonable, keep head on a swivel and keep up with maintenance.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Preaching to the choir?

Even the choir needs some truth every now and then. Remember. They are just part of the congregation.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I been RV'ing since 2000, tenting before that. After an HD truck/slide in camper, then a TT, we took a break on RV'ing. By then, I had a Chevy Colorado, the 1st gen w/ the 5 cylinder engine, extended cab (not 4 door), and a 5k tow rating. One day, we looked at a small single axle Starcraft TT. Perfect! UVW was like 3500lbs (I forget exactly). Bought it, dealer hooked us up, and off we went. Just because my 4 month old Colorado had a 5k rating, did not mean it could tow a box TT.

OMG -- our first trip, all 4 of us with a loaded TT, we could barely do 45mph, and mostly did 40. Engine screaming. Weight distribution bars working OT. The truck (not just the engine) could not handle it. We swayed with sway bars. It was uncomfortable. I worried the whole weekend about the drive back home.

I swallowed my pride, opened my wallet, and bought a bigger truck. WOW what a difference to have a 1500 series truck pulling a small single axle vs. that nimble, small, fun but NOT safe to tow a TT Colorado.

To this day, I see bad towing set ups, RV related or not, and try to stay away from them. Glad I was able to admit my failure and correct it, albiet at a loss (trading a 4 month old vehicle in on a new one -- you don't come out of that smelling like a rose)...but for the safety of myself, my family, and those on the road.

Yes, the dealer hooked that small colorado up and never indicated it was a bad idea.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I for one will say, yes I check the mirrors often to be sure the 5er is still back there!
We moved from a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD to a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW HO Aisin, the difference was amazing. The 2001 had a 3.55 rear and the 2016 3.73, NV4500 to Aisin.
The 2001 with small chip still worked to get going, the 2016 not nearly at all, our 5er is a bit over 13K. Depending on road and traffic tow between 65 and 70, 5er is riding on LT tires so that isn't an issue.
I am amazed when traveling at 70 that I will get passed, by both other larger 5er's and TT!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the disk brakes.....every now & then, I use the truck's manual trailer hand control (not truck's brake pedal) that activates the trailer's brakes....just using them will stop the truck....yes, they work so much better!
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

mlpeloquin
Explorer
Explorer
And spend some safety money and get disk brakes. I don't care how you keep up and adjust the dog gone shoe brakes they are not anywhere near disk brakes for stopping a fifth wheel. When I changed out our shoes for disk it was a big wow moment.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been RVing since 1984 and full time the last 8 years. Every day, we see people pull in with too much trailer and not enough tow vehicle and/or a poorly set up rig. The dealers should be held responsible for letting people off the lot with some of these rigs.

Then you get the ones posting about the trailer they already bought and the little tow vehicle and all they are looking for is vindication from others that they can pull their 35 foot 5th wheel with a Ford Ranger, 4 cylinder.

Then you get the ones that fly by you at 80 mph with the trailer wagging away.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Family owns a towing company. Its good for business. Most of those dealers will tell you you can tow a 35ft bumper pull with a Smart car just to sell it and yes there are those that believe anything they are told.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Preaching to the choir?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"