cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5er storage options

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 28ft TT and have a couple of issues getting it into and out of our driveway. First, loaded, the rear of the camper scrapes a little bit coming up out of the driveway and second, the radio antenna hits the neighbors phone line service from the road. Their electrical service also crosses our driveway in the same spot, about three or four feet above the phone line.
We are seriously considering upgrading the camper to a 36ish foot 5er. We looked at two we really like today. I don't think there is any way the 5er will fit under the power, and especially the phone lines. And I'm fairly sure it would drag the rear of the camper off backing down into, or pulling up out of, the driveway. It's not very long but it's a fairly steep slope, maybe 8%.
Now for my question... Do any of you keep your rig at a storage lot? Pros or cons?
We would love to keep it in the back yard like we do the TT, but sadly I just don't think that's going to be an option short of some serious grade work to the driveway and having the phone and power companies come out and move the lines. Any thoughts are appreciated.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
12 REPLIES 12

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
In the process of building 20ft x 48ft long x 16ft tall Pole barn with a 16ftx 16ft roll up door. Will have full hookups for it in there also. Plus full hookups outside for friends to use when there here.
Like having it here at home, if I need to do something to it. Its here and not in a storage lot.
As for your issue with the lines. They must be above 14ft so if you hit the line and tear it down after letting them know its low. Its theirs and will come out raise it back up. Our electrical company will not allow any line be it theirs or others to be below that 14ft. Give them a call and I bet they will take care of that with you.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest advantage to a rv storage facility is security.
I used to keep mine at home until it was broken into. also the DW likes when no one knows that we are away.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said have the wires moved and most 5ers are higher than tts.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Lot's of people keep their RV at a storage lot. It's no big deal.

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
No space to park in driveway (against HOA rules anyway) and no street parking so I have to use storage lot.

Pros: video cameras, keylock entry, flat level ground, and for some extra dollars could get a covered spot.

Cons: Not as handy as having it right outside the door. Also, access hours are limited (6 AM to 8 PM) daily.

One other thought. If you keep your RV at home all the time, everyone (to include thieves) will know when you are or are not at home. If it is at a storage lot, far less noticeable.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
We keep ours at a storage facility about 15 miles from home. $35 a month, owner lives on property, key card needed to enter.

As far as your situation. As suggested call utility company and phone company to see if lines could be raised. And as to the trailer dragging, remember a fifth wheel usually sits much higher than a TT. Maybe you can have a friend try backing his fifth wheel in to check clearances?
Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I keep ours at home and also have a steep driveway, and also drag the tail both leaving and parking. I just put a couple 2x10 planks over the transition area between street and driveway and eliminate the tail drag.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We store at a great storage facility. Key coded gate (individual codes), video surveillance and 24 hour watchman. This about two miles from the house.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep the 5er and TT at a storage facility that's only about a mile from the house. I have used it for 12 years without any problems. One advantage for me is no one knows when I take the RV on a trip. When parked at home they know when your gone.

Con- If facility is not secure can lead to theft. Some people have to bring home to load, (not a issue for me) I leave my RV ready to go except food.

I would get covered storage as well the sun does a number on a RV. The ideal would be to have a large enclosed building at home.

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a condo without storage area so we keep ours at nearby, small RV shop and used dealer. When it needs service or seasonal prep we just call and he has it ready for us. Charges $50 a month and it is right at the place, not in a yard somewhere so the security is good. Works for us, YMMV
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Does your neighbor's phone an/or power line cross over your property? Not sure about rules where you live but in CA our power line crossed over neighbor's property. He complained about it one day and we both called the power company company and complained. The power company came out and moved the line at no cost to us.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our 5th wheel in an outside storage facility, $35 a month, and have no problems.

Certainly not ideal but it works for us.

When servicing the camper I bring my Honda Genny to give me access to 110v AC but recently went solar with and inverter so the generator isn't needed.

Before signing on the dotted line visit the facility and ask the Rv owners if their are any thefts or vandalism. The owner of the lot won't tell you the real truth. I don't go crazy with putting extra locks on doors and stuff if someone wants in their getting in and its cheaper in the long run for them to take what's laying around then destroying your camper.

My facility has cameras also but doubt their a big deferent, they do have an electronic key system so they do know who and when entered in case of a problem.

Good luck

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650