cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel adapter for goose neck

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Just something I have noticed around in campgrounds but why do some people convert their 5er to a goose neck? Is there a difference in towing or is it usually done by folks that own additional goose neck trailers so they don't need to switch hitches in truck bed?
Just curious
28 REPLIES 28

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my Goosebox did NOT protect my Fiver. When I installed the Goosebox the friend who helped me was a big guy and over torqued/broke a bolt. Our fault but when I contacted Reese/Lippert they said they would send a new one. They NEVER did, but of course I did readily find a replacement bolt at the Auto Parts Store.
Just less than a year since installing the Goosebox (did they ever fix the airbag valve that puffs out the air so you have to refill it after almost every tow - which was not easy to do...? or deleted the requirement to grease the coupler every time you hitch up?)
Anyhow, I hit a really bad pothole in west TX I-10 and it actually bent the movable part of the Goosebox slightly so it would rub against the fixed part. Within days and 1000 miles of towing my Fiver was bouncing on my Truck's bed rails...
Broken front H Frame Pinbox member. I contacted REESE/LIPPERT under warranty as it was less than a year JUST to send me a new one and they refused!
I ended up going back to/purchasing a STAR Performance Goosebox adapter (with built-in glider motion). Now that my front frame is rebuilt with stronger steel I have had no problems other than some chucking on America's Worst Interstates.
However I did have to get upgraded Easy Rider Shock System brackets thanks to these horrible sections of road as the original Easy Rider Brackets were a little lighter in construction and one of them was bent despite the presence of full size shocks!
When we will see infrastructure improvements???
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Reese Goose Box in February to use with our previous fifth wheel. When we bought the Pinnacle a few months ago I asked the dealer to transfer it over. He was reluctant and said he would check with his Jayco rep to make sure it was okay. Of course, the rep said get after it. Best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned. Great riding and easy hook up with my camera system. I bought a Pullrite ball and use the chain hook ups that came with a previous Ford for the puck system. The positive hook up is probably the best feature. I don't have that nagging doubt about did I do everything correctly like I did with my previous conventional hitches.

Reese and Lippert may have a combined financial interest but I doubt Lippert would approve it if it was causing them to lose money.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
minnow wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
Lippert has approved the Reese Goose Box for use with their Frames.

And the reason for that is because LCI and Reese are in financial bed together.

Discounting the fact it is an air ride adapter with a shock absorber rather than a rigid steel frame??? Maybe it was designed specifically to address manufacturer's concerns.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:

And the reason for that is because LCI and Reese are in financial bed together.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Goosebox. Main reason, is we use the bed to haul water around in bladders when disconnected and need as much space as possible.

We do use safety chains, and they marginally increase hookup time.

There is a small learning curve to getting the ball right under the connection point - most of the time now, I can get it on the first try. Wasn't always so quick and easy. If my toolbox didn't block the view from the backup camera, it probably wouldn't have ever been an issue.

They allow more articulation than a fifth wheel hitch - which is both good and bad. You can easily make contact between the overhang and the bed rails if you aren't careful off-road, but can also use the increased articulation to get further out there. Just something to consider. Not likely to make much difference if you primarily go park to park or stay on pavement. I think that because they allow for more articulation, you are less likely to torque your frame, but as a final note on this, I'm not exactly comfortable with getting the trailer so off camber that this becomes important.

Fort Knox Locks makes a great lock that fits over the coupler. I'm not aware of any comparably secure pin locks, but I haven't looked in a while and they may be out there.

Another thing to note is that it's a bit more difficult to screw up the hitching process. If it's on the ball, it's on. No improperly closed jaws or high hitching. If you're careful and double check everything, probably not an issue one way or the other. I dropped a trailer once because someone started talking to me during the hitching process and I forgot to check that the jaws were actually locked. A little more difficult to have that happen on a ball - but I wouldn't use this alone as a reason to go this route.

I've had probably half a dozen fifth wheel hitches. They all tow a little differently. The difference between a cheap Curt and a TS BD3 is far bigger than the difference between a TS BD3 and a Goosebox - so to answer your towing different question, not really any more significant than the differences between other fifth wheel hitches and pinboxes.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
The Reese Goosebox, and Gen-Y are the new kids on the block, and are said not to damage the FW frame.

But do manufacturers recognize them or still say no to a gooseneck?

Reese and Gen-Y may say they are good, but if something happens will your trailer company tell you tough luck?

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Reese Goosebox, and Gen-Y are the new kids on the block, and are said not to damage the FW frame.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Also you are supposed to use safety chains with a gooseneck hitch. Although it is questionable how many โ€œforgetโ€ or never know that.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
A goosneck where the ball is at the floor of the pickup bed, creates a longer leaver arm on the trailer frame. If it's a light weight trailer with an overbuilt frame, that may be OK. If it's heavier and not built so well, it can be a problem...particularly if you are on rough roads. These variations in weight and driving conditions explain why some people go years with no issues and others quickly break something in the frame.

You may occasionally see a mount where it's a gooseneck ball but on a raised frame, pretty much the same height as a regular 5th wheel hitch. That shouldn't have any impact on the stress the trailer frame sees as the lever arm is roughly the same.

As to why? Most already have a gooseneck ball in the truck and it takes up very little space when not towing...vs a big heavy hitch that eats up a 1/3 of the truck bed when not towing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Probably people who have other gooseneck trailers. And/or those who grew up with or worked with farm, stock, and implement gooseneck trailers. But those are designed specifically for the gooseneck hitch.

The rigid gooseneck adapters for 5ers put stresses on a trailer frame that a standard 5th wheel hitch does not. And some manufacturers will void the warranty on a new 5th if you use one. But, having said that, many do it any way and seem to have no problem with them. The Goosebox (with air ride and shock absorber) is the only one I have heard of that is actually acceptable to some manufacturers.

kmac7800
Explorer
Explorer
He may be referring to a "goosebox" which does not cause issues with your chassis warranty. The one I am thinking of is made by Reese, however there is another out there that I have seen but do not remember the manufacturer.

Oh, and I would use it (if I could) so I do not have to remove a 250lb fifth wheel hitch in/out of my truck bed if I wanted to use my pickup as a... well... pickup.

//KMac

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
And then their are those that think a goose-neck is "all that".

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely ...multiuse

But there are some that think it is better

Biggest issue is 5th wheel pin box frame/structure are NOT designed for that type of strain/pressure
Just look at how a gooseneck trailer is built vs a 5th wheel overhang frame
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31