cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel for a Large Family - Full Time

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are going to take our 5 kids on the road for a year+ to get out of the rat-race. Luckily, I have a great job that allows for me to work remotely and I am all set on that.
After a lot of work, we think that for our family, a 5th wheel is the way to go instead of a Class A.
We have worked out the towing logistics as we are going to purchase a Ram Heavy Duty Diesel and getting it customized with a sleeper bench so we can sit all comfortably. We are going to rig this with a Reese Sidewinder for towing.

So what I wanted to ask the group is, if anyone has some recommendations for a large fiver that can sleep my family comfortablable (4 boys 6, 6, 10, 12) and my daughter 10.

We like the concept of using a toy hauler that has drop down bed(s) and can covert into quality living space in the day. We also like the 1/2 bath in the back and a space for a 2nd fridge and washer/dryer stack.

I know that the market is full of options but we are new to the 5th wheel world and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions? THanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

Kevin
22 REPLIES 22

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
Have a wonderful time with your family. Keep us informed and I would love to follow your blog.

This will be memories that are priceless for all of you!!

Cherry

socoguy
Explorer
Explorer
How wonderful your family will cherish the memories. You sound totally positive that is so important. I do agree that you should investigate a little further on the TV. The ram will be maxed out with the type of rig you are considering. (http://www.rv-dreams.com/) a website for those considering full time, not you plan but great info and links to resources. I am not associated but find it quite informative you can glean what applies. Best of luck. Go Well

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
If you read the entire post, you will see that seatbelt are covered. I would not take my children without them.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
what about seat belts don't come north of the border,they will get you for sure

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Whoa there I don't see enough seat belts for everyone, unless you are taking another vehicle, maybe readjust if not to late and go with the Class A so everyone can be in the same vehicle and enjoy each other.
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

BusaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The idea is great! I would be a little concerned about the weight though.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR Cummins Powered
2014 Wild Wood Heritage Elite
DW, DD's, DS, and our 2 little dogs!!

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
WOW - can't wait to hear the stories from this trip !!!
you are very fortunate to even be able to consider this with young kids.
DO IT ! the kids will remember it for the rest of their lives !!!

FYI, I am 12 miles from cowtown sleepers and know their work - glad to help in anyway I can... just pm me...

but I too, think your gvw or gcwr will be blown by your needs in a regular pickup... as I have a 11,500 gvw crewcab shortbed that will be maxed out by my 5er that sleeps just 4 - good luck on the find !

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are spending your money.....

SpaceCraft RV

Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Most dual-slide bunkhouses would give you the sleeping arrangements that you need. I know our bunkhouse with the sleeper sofa (and 2 to that) would sleep 5.

I worry that you're going to still run out of payload with your family of 5, a heavy hitch and the Cowboy Sleeper unless you're not worried about exceeding GVWR and are only looking at the axle/tire weights.

Here's my weighing info for my Sabre 36QBOK which has a relatively light pin weight with my family of 4 (two overweight adults and 2 kids in booster/infant seats):
Getting Weighed, 4-part blog post-series
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
5 kids and 2 adults that is going to be tight in a truck, even with the sleeper. Plus, the sleeper will reduce the bed length. Once you add in the weight of the passengers, fiberglass sleeper and RV, you may want to start looking in the F-450/F-550/5500 range of pick-up trucks or step up to a MDT with 6 doors. Plus, that fiberglass sleeper may not be as structurally sound in the event of an accident, you may want more metal surrounding your kids if something were to come loose.
I think once you size up a few 5th wheels that can handle 7 in a full time scenario; you are going to need a larger truck anyways. Short of a Toterhome, you are one of these might fit the bill.

Listing for below unit

Check these out for more vehicles.

I did see a 5th wheel at the Hershey RV show last year or year prior that had a middle bunk house. I don’t remember the brand, but it was large, quite large. I believe it was from one of the specialty or custom build manufacturers.
You may want to consider a 3500 Van or Suburban/Excursion and a larger travel trailer. The price point would be substantially less than putting a package together that could handle 7 in a 5th wheel hauler.

OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
We certainly wouldn't discourage you on your adventure as we did on a smaller scale what you are planning. We also had the means as by the time our 2 kids were in grade school and my business was doing absolutely great and had very trusted backups to take over for a month or up to 6 weeks at a time and I checked in everyday. For 9 years we'd take very long RV trips around the USA with our kids.

However, since they were in school during the school year, we had to do shorter trips then of up to 6 weeks. We did though take the whole school summer off during the bicentenial year (1976) from June 3rd until the 26th of August and toured as many of the USA's history venues as we could get to. They later told us many times how much they loved it wanted to do the same with their kids but time off wouldn't allow it for either one.

I agree with, "why not?"

You have a much larger family going and will require so much more extensive planning and needs but why let that stop you?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
I would do it in a heart beat! We traveled as a family when I was young, but did not have a chance to full time as a parent with kids. My job does allow me to work remote now, but the kids are grown/college and so they are stuck to the house more than us.

Safe Travels and start the blog about the whole process of searching, buying, fixing, and traveling!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
We are all very excited and the kids too. They are involved in the planning and are all adventurous. It has been so funny to get so many people telling us why NOT to do this. My question is, why wouldn't we do it? We have the means to do so. We can spend a month in San Diego on the beach, then go to Solstice in Alaska and then make our way across the country to New England. My question is, if you could do it, why wouldn't you? Just because it would be a little cramped?

In a year, we can either have a year full of wonderful, albeit crowded adventures, or we could stay here in Tallahassee FL going through another year of the status quo. While I am sure we would be happy enough here, it really is a no -brainer to us.

We do plan on blogging/Tweeting the whole experience, kids too. We have entereed into an agreement with the school district to stay connected virtually to the classes and allow the kids to be roving "reporters" back to the classrooms. We are most excited.

Thanks to all who have positive input and suggestions to us, we welcome them.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth wheel recommendations aside this will be quite challenge.
Has all the makings of a great on the road blog!

My wife was just reading this thread and exclaimed "for a year with 5 kids!!" lol
Y'all are gonna be real close by the time this adventure ends.

Great luck and good times to your family.