cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Hitch Advice

Motoring_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
I am seeking 5th Wheel Hitch Advice. I have a Dodge 3500 short bed (6โ€™4โ€) truck with the factory installed 5th wheel prep package. My truck has the capacity (bed tongue and total weight) to handle the trailer that I am considering. I do not know if the factory prep package limits what 5th wheel hitch I can or cannot install. I have talked to several people who have popped their rear windows โ€“ and they all advise a slider hitch.

There are many brands of hitches on the market, therefore, I am asking for your opinions and recommendations on what I should consider in purchasing a hitch. I do not want a Goose Neck style hitch. I appreciate your advice from your own experiences.

Thank you for your assistance.
Bob
32 REPLIES 32

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Dano1955 wrote:
just purchased my 5th wheel hitch, any suggestions on where to get this installed? Heard horror stories about uhaul, and there are some local shops around, but I have no idea what it should cost.

Can anyone enlighten?

B&W Patriot 18K slider (fits industry standard rails) Just the hitch, no rails.
Installing in Ram 2500 long bed 4x4

TIA

Given a long box why did you buy a slider hitch? What year is the truck? If it is a 2014+, the factory pucks if not already installed can be added, then a B&W RVK3600 drops right into the pucks.

Chris

1. Because I bought brand new never installed, still with original pkg from a friend for $350, who got a different brand for his short box. The slider/non-slider issue is only for short bed and shouldn't even be a topic for a long bed hauler. But that's my reason and I find it most appropriate.

2. 2013

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had our B & W installed by our RV dealer. They did an excellent job but we have known them for years and they have a great service department. Hopefully you can find someone you have confidence in doing it right.

2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dano1955 wrote:
just purchased my 5th wheel hitch, any suggestions on where to get this installed? Heard horror stories about uhaul, and there are some local shops around, but I have no idea what it should cost.

Can anyone enlighten?

TIA

Given a long box why did you buy a slider hitch? What year is the truck? If it is a 2014+, the factory pucks if not already installed can be added, then a B&W RVK3600 drops right into the pucks.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer

Can anyone enlighten?

TIA

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
most of the newer trailers are designed for short beds with plenty of clearance. Ask your dealer if that is the case with the trailer you plan to pull.

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
My thought has always been "Better to Have and NOT NEED, than to NEED and NOT HAVE".
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3500 RAM short bed with a slider, but have never needed so far.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Auto slider won't work for his situation. He needs a manual slider so he can have it slid back and it stays there whether he is turned or not.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend an auto slider in the brand of your choice for your bed length. Our PullRite is in our second Dodge truck and has performed flawlessly since late 2006.

I've seen far too many crunched in cabs and shattered rear windows to even consider chancing it in a short box truck.

Installing an auto slider for me was like changing to LT tires... peace of mind, no worries, no need to look back, just get out and have a enjoyable camping experience.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
OK, 6' 4" bed, you will at some point need a slider! And to me that is the problem. You go weeks, months or even years backing in to spots and everything is fine, then one day, you end up buying a back window or worse! Get a slider, and make it an auto slider so you don't have to think about it! Yes it moves around when you back, but that is the way it is designed. I use the Pull Right Super Glide, but check out all the auto sliders and pick one for your rig, you will not be disappointed!

BobWestdorp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all- Looking at the short bed issue another way.

We have a Reese Revolution king pin assembly on our Rockwood fifth wheel. This locks the pivot point about 20 inches back from the hitch and under the trailer. We have no issues with the Revolution and can turn greater than 90 degrees with our short bed Chevy and traditional fixed hitch. Not sure how much it costs compared to a slider hitch as it came with the 5er.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Cdash wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Love my B/W slider hitch with my 6.5' Ram bed. I'm not in the auto-slider camp for one reason - sometimes you want to slide it back and have it stay there. This would mainly come up when pulling in/out of a driveway or camp spot with a quick and abrupt change in levels that causes the 5th the tilt and clip the back corners of the truck.

Sliding the 5th back changes the angle and gets you the necessary clearance but with an auto-slider you are out of luck. I realize the scenario I describe is rare but it happens to be the case in my driveway. My current truck and 5th have plenty of clearance but with my old setup I couldn't slide a piece of paper between the 5th and truck bed while backing beside my house unless I was slid back.

Even aside from the rare case I give, I'd never own a short box truck and tow a 5th w/o a slider. To me, I'm into my truck and 5th about 75K. I just can see trying to save $700 and having to worry and wonder.

I can't envision the scenario you are describing...the auto sliders are "always" moving back away from the cab while you are turning, forwards or backwards, if you turn the hitch is sliding back. If you can hit your cab going forwards then there are other issues at play.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

I'm envisioning it as break over angle. Imagine holding a hitched truck and fifth wheel. Trailer in left hand, truck in right hand. Twist the truck so that the front of the truck is going down and the rear of the bed will smack the underside of trailer. Having the hitch further back will help that case.

As poster said, I expect that this isn't common for most of us, but sounds like he has a need for it given his specific conditions.

Yep, Cdash has it - basically, it's the rake of the trailer with respect to the back corners of the truck bed. My driveway slopes down from the street. The problem came about as the 5th's wheels are down the slope heading behind my house and my truck's rear wheels hit the peak of the driveway apron. It put the back corners of the truck bed against the underside of the 5th. Sliding the 5th back moved the slope of the underside away from the back corners of the truck. Again, this a somewhat unique situation but I'd sure be frustrated if my slider didn't give me the ability to lock it back if I ever needed to.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Love my B/W slider hitch with my 6.5' Ram bed. I'm not in the auto-slider camp for one reason - sometimes you want to slide it back and have it stay there. This would mainly come up when pulling in/out of a driveway or camp spot with a quick and abrupt change in levels that causes the 5th the tilt and clip the back corners of the truck.

Sliding the 5th back changes the angle and gets you the necessary clearance but with an auto-slider you are out of luck. I realize the scenario I describe is rare but it happens to be the case in my driveway. My current truck and 5th have plenty of clearance but with my old setup I couldn't slide a piece of paper between the 5th and truck bed while backing beside my house unless I was slid back.

Even aside from the rare case I give, I'd never own a short box truck and tow a 5th w/o a slider. To me, I'm into my truck and 5th about 75K. I just can see trying to save $700 and having to worry and wonder.

I can't envision the scenario you are describing...the auto sliders are "always" moving back away from the cab while you are turning, forwards or backwards, if you turn the hitch is sliding back. If you can hit your cab going forwards then there are other issues at play.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Yes he needs the extra clearance at the tailgate going strait. I've had that happen with a gooseneck in the field going thru a creek but it can happen. Very rare for a camper but seeing some driveways in hilly country... Possible.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:

Thanks,

Jeremiah

I'm envisioning it as break over angle. Imagine holding a hitched truck and fifth wheel. Trailer in left hand, truck in right hand. Twist the truck so that the front of the truck is going down and the rear of the bed will smack the underside of trailer. Having the hitch further back will help that case.

As poster said, I expect that this isn't common for most of us, but sounds like he has a need for it given his specific conditions.