cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Hitch - Underbed Mount or Not?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just traded our travel trailer for a 5th wheel and need to get a hitch for our new 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I am leaning toward the Demco Hijacker (autoslide) hitch, but can't decide whether to go with the under bed mount model or the above bed model.

I don't plan on using the truck for much other than towing the 5th wheel so I have no real need for a "clean" bed for cargo hauling. However, why wouldn't I want the flexibility of having a clean bed in case my needs change?

I guess I'm asking, "What is the downside of going with an under bed mount?

Also, any pros or cons regarding the Hijacker are welcome.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
22 REPLIES 22

fuzzdr
Explorer
Explorer
I do not want rails in my bed when the camping season ends. With my F-250 I installed the Reese Elite underbed system paired with their Slider fiver hitch. When the fiver hitch is removed, there are 4 holes left in the bed but these are nicely covered over with 4 rubber plugs that come with the Elite system. This month I traded in my truck for a new F-350. I had a body place remove the Elite Underbed hitch and transfer it to the new truck. In the process, they drilled 4 new holes in the new truck and permanently filled the 4 holes in the old truck. They also swapped over my Roll-X bed cover to the new truck- total cost for everything was only $250. The Elite Reese system can be factory ordered with a new truck too. The system costs more than one with support bars permanently installed in the truck bed. It sure is nice having that clean uncluttered space when one needs to carry other types of cargo.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We traded our TT in for a new 5th wheel and are going with the Demco autoslider and underbed mount. They install it Monday and are very excited and now we are really feeling we made the right choice. It is expensive, but we also thought well worth it. Dealer said it would take between 5-7 hours to install it! Dh is a little worried. We just bought the truck this past year a 2014 Silverado 3500 HD diesel and has a fear the truck will get scratched!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
My next one, if I ever get one, will have the factory installed hitch system.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you understand both are affixed to the truck frame. I have a superglide and it is great.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomas201 wrote:
One vote for rails. Constantly used for tying in a tandem kayak. Better than a buddy bar for tying in partial loads. You will have to find straps that fit the slots. Horrible if you ever need to shovel out something.

I have often wondered if a simple tarp over the rails before you load the bed with mulch (or whatever) would be enough to keep most of the junk out of the rails.

With a turn over ball, if you carry a load full of mulch, sand.. etc.. wouldn't that get down in the gooseneck around the ball (turned over?) as well and cause problems?

Just musing.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
One vote for rails. Constantly used for tying in a tandem kayak. Better than a buddy bar for tying in partial loads. You will have to find straps that fit the slots. Horrible if you ever need to shovel out something.

timflood
Explorer
Explorer
No, you don't have purchase the adapter. It all come with the hitch. The only thing is xtra is the safety chains if you want them. You don't have to use them if you don't want to
Tim & Brenda
2014 27-5L Arctic Fox
2018 King Ranch F350, 8 Ft Bed, 4x4
Stockton, Ca.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't address the OPs question, but for those noting the Anderson - it requires an adapter attached to the 5er pin box, right? So one would need to purchase both the hitch and adapter?

I'm wresting with the same dilemma over removing the (non-turnover ball) gooseneck hitch in my new to me TV, and moving the rails and 5er hitch from my old TV ... but I really want a clean bed on the new TV.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
B&W Undermount gets my Vote. I think they make a Slider for a Short Bed Truck as well.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the very helpful responses. They helped to confirm that I want to go with the under bed mount.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Ohiojude
Explorer
Explorer
mine is mounted under the bed so there are only 4 holes in the box when the hitch is out. The down side is the price: but money well spent in my opinion.

X2
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

timflood
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for the Anderson, this is my 4th hitch. Had a slider - and 2 others. No more rails for me. In the long run you will like not having rails.
Tim & Brenda
2014 27-5L Arctic Fox
2018 King Ranch F350, 8 Ft Bed, 4x4
Stockton, Ca.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pullrite SuperGlide with under bed rails. Makes it very easy to pull the hitch out and have a clean bed for use when not towing. If thats not needed then no need for under bed rails which cost more.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
We just traded our travel trailer for a 5th wheel and need to get a hitch for our new 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I am leaning toward the Demco Hijacker (autoslide) hitch, but can't decide whether to go with the under bed mount model or the above bed model.

I don't plan on using the truck for much other than towing the 5th wheel so I have no real need for a "clean" bed for cargo hauling. However, why wouldn't I want the flexibility of having a clean bed in case my needs change?

I guess I'm asking, "What is the downside of going with an under bed mount?

Also, any pros or cons regarding the Hijacker are welcome.

I have the GMC version of your truck. I went with the B&W turnover ball and I use the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection with it.

The reasons I went this route is that the Andersen hitch is only 75 pounds. I can lift it by myself if necessary. Also, it saves me maybe 150 pounds (compared to other hithces) of payload weight for use on other things (pin weight, etc). I can install or remove it in about 3 minutes. The hitch ball is slightly offset back a couple of inches -- I hoped that would eliminate need for a full slider when considering my 5th wheel has a cap designed for 6.5' bed trucks. I also got a flat bed when not using the hitch. Since the hitch is so easy to take out, I don't leave it in the truck.

Last, I knew if I didn't like the Andersen hitch I could sell it and still use my turnover ball with a B&W Companion hitch which is hugely popular and recommended by everybody.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali