cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel insurance

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Currently we have national interstate, premiun 600.00$ plus for the tear on a 2011 keystone outback. , breakdown, comprehensive 234.00 collision 126.00 roadside package 130.00 plus a few smaller items. we pay for diminishing ded, and at the moment we have 0$ ded. does this seem high?
22 REPLIES 22

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
DAWGS, i have no ded becauce i have no claims so its a 00$. as for those who have addes to car insurance, according to my agent its already covered if attached to my vehicle, unless i back into something or someone.

I haven't had a claim in over 20 years and by doing a $500 deductible the rates always go down. Have you had him run the numbers with a ded? Or check with another carrier. I was with Geico for 17 years and they couldn't answer why my insurance was going up, my vehicle getting older, and no claims or any blemish on my record for ever. Changed and saved $300 a year on my truck and $200 a year on trailer.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I have Allstate and mine runs 290.00 every 6 months. here in good old Cali. no vanishing deductables,no accident forgiveness, not avail. in Calif. just another perk of living in this state.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
i pay 12.00$ for the vanishing ded.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
machunt wrote:
Pack. my ded went from 500 to 0$ because of no claims. i did not change it.

Yes, but his point is still valid. You are still paying a premium based on a $500 deductible, and if you have a claim, your deductible will revert to $500. Get your agent to show you the premium if you increased your deductible to $1000. It should be less. But in your case it might reset your vanishing deductible, so make sure you ask your agent about that.

I carry $1000 deductible on all my collision policies. It lowers my premiums, and I feel comfortable that I can easily handle a $1000 hit to my wallet if something happens. That also keeps me from filing smaller claims, like when I smacked my side mirror on a city bus, which could have caused my premium to rise.

To add to this - If you have the 'vanishing deductible' option, then you are probably paying an option cost for it. Ask your insurance person for quotes without that option but with deductibles of $0, $500, and $1000 (3 separate quotes). Then you can make an informed decision. As I stated above, I like to carry a higher deductible and just stash the premium savings away till I get to $500 or $1000. That money will then cover my deductible.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
machunt wrote:

Yes, but his point is still valid. You are still paying a premium based on a $500 deductible, and if you have a claim, your deductible will revert to $500. Get your agent to show you the premium if you increased your deductible to $1000. It should be less. But in your case it might reset your vanishing deductible, so make sure you ask your agent about that.

I carry $1000 deductible on all my collision policies. It lowers my premiums, and I feel comfortable that I can easily handle a $1000 hit to my wallet if something happens. That also keeps me from filing smaller claims, like when I smacked my side mirror on a city bus, which could have caused my premium to rise.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

machunt
Explorer
Explorer

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is not the full timers forum but keep in mind if you full time that insurance costs are different. You will be buying 'full timer's insurance'.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We have our FW included with our vehicles with the Hartford through AARP and our premium is $81 for this next year with a $500 deductible. This is for an Actual Cash Value policy.
John A. Lichty

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Changing your deductible from $0 to $500 or $1000 should have a significant effect on your premium. When I ask for quotes, I always ask for quotes based on a deductible of $0, $500, and $1000 and then make my choice. If you can save $200/year by choosing the $500 deductible, then you're ahead after 2 1/2 years. Just stick that $500 in the bank and leave it alone in case you need to satisfy your deductible. Anything saved beyond that is gravy.

Not easy to ask the question on a board lke this. Premiums are impacted by your location - state and even a county within a state.

FYI for anyone with National Interstate who has Florida as their domicile state.

I fulltime and have them for my truck and my fiver. My agent (Miller Insurance in Oregon) just informed me that National Interstate will no longer write vehicle insurance in Florida. Apparently they will still insure TTs, fivers, etc. I was told to expect a letter from them prior to my renewal date (July).

So I will be changing as I want both truck and fiver to be with the same company.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
machunt wrote:
DAWGS, i have no ded becauce i have no claims so its a 00$. as for those who have addes to car insurance, according to my agent its already covered if attached to my vehicle, unless i back into something or someone.

Your liability is covered by your tow vehicle insurance, but damage or loss to your camper will not be covered. Unless you add collision and comprehensive coverage for the trailer. At least that's how it has always been for us.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

machunt
Explorer
Explorer

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
"I found the best price was with Progressive. Haven't had to use them in the past 10 years so don't know how responsive they are, but the calls to their customer service center have been good each time I've called (once every 2 years average)."

I too have Progressive and have had a claim. They sent the adjusted the next day after I reported my accident and had a check within three days. Super service.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
machunt wrote:
Currently we have national interstate, premiun 600.00$ plus for the tear on a 2011 keystone outback. , breakdown, comprehensive 234.00 collision 126.00 roadside package 130.00 plus a few smaller items. we pay for diminishing ded, and at the moment we have 0$ ded. does this seem high?

I pay about $425 for a 2017 GD with a $500 deductible. Since I live in mine FT I pay about twice. Try upping your deductible to $500 and see what happens.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had National General for a long time....a lot less. Now I switched my auto and home to Liberty and my trailer is under $60.00 for the year...and lower deductibles and higher coverage. Happy with both of them so far.