cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel on the freeway with the slide out!

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Coming home today on the freeway I saw a truck pulling a 5th wheel with the living room slide out. :E He was going northbound and I was going southbound so I only had a few seconds to tell whether or not the slide was all the way out.....but it was surely out at least 12" to 18". I also couldn't tell if he know what was going on but I would only assume that passing vehicles would have alerted him too. You'd think he would have seen it in the side mirror. Or maybe it was stuck and he was simply getting it somewhere to be fixed.
13 REPLIES 13

SandSOrrell
Explorer
Explorer
If the bed room slide is high up like most are, it is not visible in the truck mirror.

Good point, dbbls. But the OP said it was the living room slide. And it IS visible in the truck mirrors. I'd be willing to bet the driver knew it was out and was taking it for repairs.
Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Must be another Schwintec slide problem. lol

We have friends with a DRV and a Schwintec bedroom slide...tbey had to tow it 40 miles with the slide out to get to someone who could pull the motor and push the slide in. They then took it to DRV for permanent repair.

The motor on a Schwintek does not have to be removed to push the slide in. Disconnecting the wires from the controller will release the brake. If that doesn't work removing one screw from the outside at each motor allows the motor to be disengaged. Still a pain moving the slide in but better than traveling with the slide out.And taking it to DRV does not result in a permanent repair. Been there, done that.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
If the bed room slide is high up like most are, it is not visible in the truck mirror.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Mrs was probably fixin supper.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I guess after reading all your replies, this is more common than I thought.....

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends had to recently pull their 41' toy hauler across several states with a slide stuck out about 12". It was kind of crossways in the opening and could not be forced in by CW facility. They pulled it back to their home state to another CW so parts could be ordered for repairs.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

We have friends with a DRV and a Schwintec bedroom slide...tbey had to tow it 40 miles with the slide out to get to someone who could pull the motor and push the slide in. They then took it to DRV for permanent repair.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I had a '95 13' super slide on a Wilderness trailer that the company cheaped out and installed a simply two way hyd valve with no hold position. The slide would slowly come out while traveling or several left hand turns.

I welded a couple of spring loaded pin stops to the slide rails and no more issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I saw one in Colorado this past week. I wasn't about to hang a U on Hwy 550 N of Silverton and chase the guy down, though. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago while in Florida our slide wouldn't retract. Blown seal on cylinder. Got everyone outside and a few from next door to help push it in.
Then it wanted to drift out on the road. I had some travel locks that were never used in the last 10 years, glad I still hauled them around. They got me home.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the owner did not know how to retract the slides with the hand crank?

Everyone should try this once in a while, so they can remember what compartment the handle is located in, and even if they are not able, any camper nearby will help the elderly, or they can call Good Sam Roadside assistance or something!

Sometimes the RV battery can go dead, and then they will not retract properly, even if you plug in the RV to the truck and run it's engine. It might take 30 minutes at idle to get in enough charge, unless you turn the truck around and use jumper cables.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Moved from ATC