cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel Toy Hauler buying advice

blackdog43
Explorer
Explorer
HELP! We live in MA and want a 5th wheel toy hauler. I need lots of living area. I am compromising. I wanted a TT with rear entertainment to have lots of living space. The TT we have now has a nice open bathroom, not a closet to pee in! They are sooo expensive. Asking 100k new, but i have gotten some to come down 68k first try? I looked into to some 2014 (3 years old) and they want 58k? I don't get it! I need buying advice please. TY
11 REPLIES 11

blackdog43
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler. Thank you. That was very helpful. The seismics are gorgeous! See, they came down $37?! Why do they mark them up so much? Best of luck to you guys with your new TH!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased TH in my sig last August, listed for $112K, ended up @ 75K..with W/D combo and DTV satellite on the roof and slide covers. Unit comes with a two year warranty. More than enough room for the wife and I and our two boxers..We have NO toy's..That's another reason we purchased a TH...retirement 5er and LOT's of room at 45' and 8 1/2 foot wide..love the rear patio..even more living space for us with lights and awning. We love this unit...heck, even has a dish washer:)

...and yes, we have the truck to tow it with, Truck in my sig has 39,100# GCWR and GVWR of 14K... Truck tows it easily.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
blackdog43 wrote:
Thank you. Love the pics. Gorgeous! And the dog too!!
But how about when it comes down to what they are actually worth? For instance a new $100,000 Th I emailed and asked bottom line. Most only go to 89 first try. I got one to 67 or something in the 60s. There is such a huge mark up on all campers. I don't want to insult them offering 50% of msrp but that seems like where you have to start to get to a decent price.
Now used they are even crazier. They want they paid for it a few years ago?! 2014 cyclone guy wanted 60k. It's 3 years old. 2013 cyclone dealer had on consignment wanted 52?! How can this fly? He came down to 49. I was thinking 30k.

Don't know about THs, but FWs in general seem to sell for about 30-35% off "MSRP", or whatever "MSRP" that particular dealer pulls out of his nether regions. Double-check the "MSRP" on like units at different dealers. If they are identical, and they're more than about $2k different AT MOST, then someone is lying about the "MSRP", IMO. Jayco is the only mfr that I can think of that has a "build and price" on their home site, so you at least have a common starting point, no matter which dealer you talk to. The only things that can change are taxes and delivery costs. Maybe whatever b.s. "fee" they decide to tack on, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I got close to 20 % off and I hope it holds it's value.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
I'm not a TH guy, but from the ones I've seen, if you can live without a separate garage (dividing wall between the garage and living area), that garage gives you a =lot= of living space if you leave the toys outside and button up the rear ramp. Some of the newer ones actually have an inner wall with a sliding door on it that allows you to use the ramp as a rear patio. Awnings and side rails on the platform, too. Pretty slick.

Lyle

That's the setup I have. From the kitchen back is all open, almost 18' long by 8' wide. Windows down both sides and a patio/ramp at the back for another 8'. We've had it for over a year and are still experimenting with different setups every time we go out. We also have 4 queen sized beds in the "garage" and 2 AC's.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

blackdog43
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Love the pics. Gorgeous! And the dog too!!
But how about when it comes down to what they are actually worth? For instance a new $100,000 Th I emailed and asked bottom line. Most only go to 89 first try. I got one to 67 or something in the 60s. There is such a huge mark up on all campers. I don't want to insult them offering 50% of msrp but that seems like where you have to start to get to a decent price.
Now used they are even crazier. They want they paid for it a few years ago?! 2014 cyclone guy wanted 60k. It's 3 years old. 2013 cyclone dealer had on consignment wanted 52?! How can this fly? He came down to 49. I was thinking 30k.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember it takes a lot of truck to haul a big toy hauler

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Grand Design 380TH. I put my Victory XCT in the garage 10Ft. It's pretty roomy for the 2 of us. We will full time in it in a few more years.

Here is a few pics.

We love the deck (ramp). The right place and the view it can't be beat.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not a TH guy, but from the ones I've seen, if you can live without a separate garage (dividing wall between the garage and living area), that garage gives you a =lot= of living space if you leave the toys outside and button up the rear ramp. Some of the newer ones actually have an inner wall with a sliding door on it that allows you to use the ramp as a rear patio. Awnings and side rails on the platform, too. Pretty slick.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I like our Grand Design so far. What size garage do you want/need? What will you be hauling in the garage? Big toy hauler = big truck, think dually. Any larger than ours, I would want a dually. I want one now but not a new truck payment. Our garage is 10' and has bunks that store up near the ceiling. The lower bunk can be two bench seats with a table in the middle. You just need to go to several dealers and see several units and narrow it down from there.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's just the nature of the beast. Fifth wheels and Toy Haulers cost more than a conventional travel trailer. A travel trailer will cost more than a pop-up, even a small travel trailer will. A pop-up will cost more than a tent.

You're stepping into a different league with a toy hauler. It's not an "upgrade" or anything superior over a travel trailer, it's just a different natured animal that costs more.

If you are looking at rear living room travel trailers, my Outback is great! List price was $35,000 and we negotiated it down. It's a terrific trailer, and bathroom space is pretty generous. It is 35 feet long. Rear living has 2 slides with windows all around and television that raises and lowers in front of the huge back window. Down for scenic view out the window during the day time. Up for watching television at night!

See my signature below and my profile on the left.