cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel vs Bumper Tow - Weight

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
I've considered two different options to upgrade from our small TH. First is the Nitro 29udql5 - 5th wheel. From my calculations the 2,029lb pin weight and 10,377 dry weight of this rig will be too much for my 08 GMC 2500 crew cab diesel. So, option 2 we are considering is the Amped 32GS, which is a travel trailer TH about 10,000 lbs dry and about a 1,400 lb hitch weight. So I thought I knew something about trailers, but in my case a bumper tow trailer is okay for my truck, but a 5th wheel is too much? Thanks for any insight from the pros.
25 REPLIES 25

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Boosted1200 wrote:
A bunch of keyboard pushers....

At least we don't make idiotic decisions that endanger every human being on the road.

And the fact you brag about it is somewhat pathetic.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Boosted1200
Explorer
Explorer
A bunch of keyboard pushers....

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Boosted1200 wrote:
I just had 26,000 behind my work truck gm 2500 srw no trailer brakes 80mph no problem and still stops. My toy hauler is a tripple axle 45' 18,000 pulls fine for me and my 15 denail 2500 srw. Some people like me have no issues others think there truck will brake in half of your a pound over. I pull trailers every day me and my boss refuse drw no issues ever.... To each there own.

NOT the kind of guy to take towing advice from that is for sure. About as responsible as drinking and driving...

X2 80mph w/no brakes on 26,000lb trailer... sure it'll stop, with the trailer in front against whatever it happened to hit to stop.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Boosted1200 wrote:
I just had 26,000 behind my work truck gm 2500 srw no trailer brakes 80mph no problem and still stops. My toy hauler is a tripple axle 45' 18,000 pulls fine for me and my 15 denail 2500 srw. Some people like me have no issues others think there truck will brake in half of your a pound over. I pull trailers every day me and my boss refuse drw no issues ever.... To each there own.

NOT the kind of guy to take towing advice from that is for sure. About as responsible as drinking and driving...

Boosted1200
Explorer
Explorer

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The 5er would still tow 10x better. If your overweight with the 5er it's not by much. Slap on some bags and call it done. Good your thinking about weights but MANY people tow much heavier with the same truck. Just sayin.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I had the rig in the picture, same truck as yours, and it pulled great. This combo went coast-to-coast with no issues. My trailer was an Everest 305T and it tape measured out to 37 feet and had a 14,000 GVWR. According to the Trailer Life Towing Guide for 2008 your truck's 5th wheel capacity is in the 14-15,000 lb range.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
ThomasFour wrote:
Sorry if this in the wrong category, I am very new to the forum. I appreciate the response(s). I was always under the impression that a fifth wheel design facilitated more towing capacity. I guess I am learning that is not true.

5th wheels tow better and the hitches themselves are very strong, but your truck isn't heavy duty enough to take advantage of the difference. I don't know the numbers for your truck, but let's take my 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 as an example. It weighs 7300 pounds empty and it has a 9900 lb GVWR. That gives 2700 pounds of available payload, of which I can use all of it without overloading anything else on the truck (tires, rear GAWR, etc.).

The same truck in a 2500 would have an 8800 lb GVWR and the weight would be within 50 pounds of my truck. The result is 1100 pounds of payload capacity that a 3/4 ton doesn't have, yet it still weighs just as much. Remember that 2700 pounds? It's 1600 now--not enough for any 5er of substantial pin weight. And even that 2700 pounds is light if you're talking about a 5er that is near the actual towing capacity the truck has GCWR-wise.

ThomasFour wrote:
I've considered two different options to upgrade from our small TH. First is the Nitro 29udql5 - 5th wheel. From my calculations the 2,029lb pin weight and 10,377 dry weight of this rig will be too much for my 08 GMC 2500 crew cab diesel. So, option 2 we are considering is the Amped 32GS, which is a travel trailer TH about 10,000 lbs dry and about a 1,400 lb hitch weight. So I thought I knew something about trailers, but in my case a bumper tow trailer is okay for my truck, but a 5th wheel is too much? Thanks for any insight from the pros.

I don't know if your truck is 4wd or not, and I'm not sure if the GM is lighter than my Dodge, nor if yours is a long bed, but I suspect that if you intend to carry passengers, tools, dogs, or anything else for that matter, a 10k lb. trailer will be too heavy for your 3/4 ton truck.

I'm not saying you can't overload your truck if you want to, but you will likely be overloaded.

Newer 3/4 tons have a 10k lb GVWR and the 1 ton SRWs closer to 12k lbs to take into account that while trucks got heavier since the '80s, their ratings didn't go up by very much to accomodate. My truck is at least ~800 pounds heavier than an '80s or '90s Chevy 1 ton crew cab, and yet its GVWR is 700 pounds more--and the more******they continue to put on these beasts, the heavier they get. The GVWRs need to go up more or the payload will go down. That necessitated better wheels, brakes, and tires, which if you look closely at the new SRW trucks, they have 18" wheels, both to accommodate the bigger brakes but also to increase capacity.

The GVWR of a 3/4 ton makes it pretty worthless for pulling a big 5er without overloading it. That's why, 10 years ago when I bought my truck, I insisted on a 1 ton SRW. And if I ever get a new one, it will be a DRW--and perhaps I will even go up to a 450/4500 or bigger--because there isn't as much cushion as you think!

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this in the wrong category, I am very new to the forum. I appreciate the response(s). I was always under the impression that a fifth wheel design facilitated more towing capacity. I guess I am learning that is not true.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Look in your owners manual and find out what the max tongue rate your hitch is rated for. I agree that any fiver over 11000 gvwr is too much for your 3/4 ton truck.
Please remember, ignore manufacturers posted dry weights (tongue and pin). Use 20% x gvwr for fifth wheel pin weights and 13% x gvwr for TT tounge weights when researching what the weight trailer you can safely tow with your truck.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You would probably get more responses if you put it on the TOW VEHICLE forum instead of just toy haulers.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW