cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel

Roadking5002
Explorer
Explorer
Would like honest opinions about what is a nice 5th wheel !! Yes I'd like to have a DRV, New Horizons, Elite, & my dream (the Luxe). But these brands are not in my budget!! Just want good quality without spending an arm & a leg. Don't want junk!!
10 REPLIES 10

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
We like our KZ.....quality has been outstanding on it.

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my '10 in the spring of '13. First time ever buying a used RV. All the little bugs were worked out already. Got good value for my money. I think the Montana is a good mid-range 5er and if you can find a used one 3-4 years old, you can save a lot of money. We looked at new and used for a number of years before finding this one. It was worth the effort. We knew the market, and what we were looking for. We also kept our options open. The floorplan was a must, fully contained bathroom, rear living with big window, peninsula or island kitchen. But, we weren't sold on any one brand. We looked at Forest River (Cardinal, Cedar Creek), Carriage, Heartland, and others. Take your time and keep an open mind. There are definitely good deals to be had. Especially this time of year.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Roadking5002 wrote:
Would like honest opinions about what is a nice 5th wheel !! Yes I'd like to have a DRV, New Horizons, Elite, & my dream (the Luxe). But these brands are not in my budget!! Just want good quality without spending an arm & a leg. Don't want junk!!

. . .
I would NOT buy a "cheap" brand. They are a lot more trouble than they are worth. Like others have said, look around for a used but a good realiable brand.

We have a Cedar Creek, made by Forest River. Great trailer, made by a great company. Forest River repaired our roof (insurance coverage), and then did a lot of extra work for us. We will buy another Cedar Creek (we are fulltimers).
I would recommend a Forest River trailer, or another good brand, but not one of their cheap trailers.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go for a nice used quality 5er over lower quality mid level RV. You might also look at used Carriage trailers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume like the others, you only want new because there is a 5th wheel of the brands you mention in any price range. You just have to search for a nice used unit. If it were me I'd go on the forum for the brand and see if any are for sale there. Then check out some of the major sellers on the internet get an idea of price range then check out owners offerings. I personally would buy privately but some RV dealers give short warranties (if their worth anything?).
Like said above it's a******shoot, hirer a professional and have him do a PDI, it's worth it.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Started with used 2008 Montana. Previous owner had all the bugs worked out plus already had G rated tires and other upgrades on it. Heck of a 38' fiver for less than $35,000. Been in a new Montana 39' for almost a year. Now I am trying to get all the bugs worked out. Like SH said, there are some really nice used 5th wheels out there.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Having purchased both new and used I know now for us, used is the better option. This time around we went with what I would consider a higher quality rig from previous purchases. Paid a fraction of the new cost for a fully loaded coach. If you shop around, you can find some very nice used 5th wheels.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
"Don't want junk!!"

Actually I think they are all junk, no matter what brand you buy. ๐Ÿ˜ž Sometimes though, you can luck out and get a good one that gives you no or little problem, again no matter what brand you buy.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Look for gently used of the brands your interested in a 3-4 year old unit might fit your budget.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
That is like asking which truck is best. It is all personal opinion and you will probably get a wide variety of answers.

What price range are you looking for? $30,000? $40,000? $50,000? $60,000? Less? More? Are you looking for new or used?

We bought a new 2007 Montana that we still have. Has been a great 5er and we are considering trading it for a new 2014 Montana. The new 2014 Montanas sell for mid $50K to mid $60K new. A lot of value for the money.