Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel

hitdrd
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used 5th wheel 2006 keystone montana to tow by a ford 250
we want to take two kayaks but the fifth doesn't have a bumper. any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

Keith_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
To actually answer your question. We removed the rear window from our 1998 Keystone Sprinter and replaced it with an Emergency Pass-thru style window. Now we just open the back window,like the rear window on a camper shell, prop it open with a a kayak paddle, and i feed the 2 kayaks, one at a time, through the inside of the camper. My wife grabs them on the inside and lays them side by side on a packing blanket on the floor. We cover them with another packing blanket and stuff a couple throw pillows where we need the so that they don't rub a cabinet, and we're good to go. Our kayaks are only 10 feet long and seem to ride in the floor without any problems. If you have a rear window that is big enough, this might be an option for you.
Lost...But making good time.
2000 Ford F-250 V-10 4X4 CC, 1998 Sprinter 265RK

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
hitdrd wrote:
@DapperDan
RIF The first line of the post specifically srares We bought a FIFTH WHEEL, that should give you an idea if what kind of rv the post will ve about! Jus sayin!??

A more informative subject line would have been something like "Carrying kayaks on (or with) a fifth wheel". Gives a concise statement of what info you're looking for. Just sayin'... As others have said, an uninformative subject line will get ignored by a lot of people. At the same time, there are guys like me who just read ever-durn one. ๐Ÿ™‚

On edit: You =can= edit your original post and change the subject line.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hitdrd
Explorer
Explorer
@DapperDan
RIF The first line of the post specifically states We bought a FIFTH WHEEL, that should give you an idea of what kind of rv the post will be about! Jus sayin!??

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 14' kayak. Had to add a front receiver to the TV and used a Darby-Extend-a-Truck on the front and one roof rack on top of the TV roof, otherwise the kayak and front of the FW would have had an improper meeting.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
You gotta love an informative Subject Line!

Well at least they narrowed it down to fifth wheels, geez. :R

One solution would be to see if a "light duty" type receiver hitch could be installed between the frame rails. We used to own a 2011 Montana, that had a receiver hitch on the back for bikes or what ever, rated at 25o LBS I believe. The warning label clearly stated NOT for towing, I just figured it was meant to be used to haul bikes. Maybe a mod like that would work but it would come at some kind of expense. Might not be as expensive as a couple of inflatable kayaks though. I don't know what a kayak weighs though, might be too much weight hanging off the tail.

Dan

Explorer II
Explorer II
We were faced with the same issue with our bicycles. I have been stowing them on the bed while on the road. It's not easy getting them in and out but they fit and travel well in the bedroom.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We carry 2 kayaks on the roof of our truck with a Yakima roof rack and J saddles. Works great and easily removed if needed. Purchased the roof rack off of Craigslist for $75.00 and the J saddles from Amazon for $39.00.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Roof rack on cab of truck.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
wow what a great idea, great design

oh wait, that's Me ๐Ÿ™‚

for 2 kayaks overkill. you could go with much lighter material.
you could even get a Tule rack for top of cab..
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this recent post for an idea. I had something similar until I sold it a couple of years ago...
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You gotta love an informative Subject Line!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's time to take another rig with you when you travel, one to tow your trailer and one to haul all your cr.........., I mean stuff.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have two inflatable Sea Eagle kayaks that we love. They both fit under our bed along with the oars, storage bags and inflaters.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW