cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C with Heat Pump, worth it?

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
We continue to shop for a new 5er. We see many manufacturers offer a A/C unit with a heat pump option.

1. Do you have that option?
2. Do you think it was worth it?
3. I assume it has limitations just like home heat pumps?
65 REPLIES 65

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
missourijan wrote:
My opinion is not based on efficiency or cost, I would NOT get another heat pump. When I'm cold I want it to warm up fast and the heat pump just takes too long. We have a furnace and fireplace(electric heater), the furnace warms up the rv so much quicker. I switch to the heat pump AFTER it's warm in here.

why do you switch to the heat pump? I agree that heat from a heat pump sucks but if it will maintain the temperature on the camp grounds dime, why not? I mean it only puts out 85 degree air but if it's free?
bumpy

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is not based on efficiency or cost, I would NOT get another heat pump. When I'm cold I want it to warm up fast and the heat pump just takes too long. We have a furnace and fireplace(electric heater), the furnace warms up the rv so much quicker. I switch to the heat pump AFTER it's warm in here.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
I'd love to have the Cheap Heat in ours but, the Suburban 2-stage furnace will not work according to Cheap Heat.

Ken

I thought the cheap heat was just a bit of electrical resistance heating elements added into the system. needs to be 240 volts to be worth it, the 120 system is no more than a $19.09 ceramic cube heater. but why does suburban say NO?
bumpy

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes we like it.

our AC with the heat pump died and we bought a new one with a heat pump even though it was a lot more money.
We ALWAYS have to buy our own propane, but we rarely stay in parks where we have to pay for electricity, so we will use the heat pump until the temperature goes so low that it won't work. At that point we switch to propane furnace and a small electric heater, but when it gets below 35* its a good idea to use the furnace anyway. It helps keep the basement warm and the water pipes warm etc.

YMMV
Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd love to have the Cheap Heat in ours but, the Suburban 2-stage furnace will not work according to Cheap Heat.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Having multiple options for heat is better than depending on a single source. Having one unit as a heat pump and having another unit with a gas furnace, IMHO, is the best approach. When hooked to electric, the heat pump helps reduce the amount of propane burned. When dry camping, or when it is too cold, the gas furnace works on 12V and is hard to beat.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
More effective at low temperatures maybe. More efficient, no.

There are ways to heat 100% electrically without the cheap heat system while preventing plumbing freeze up while NOT disabling the propane furnace. For me, that is a deal breaker on cheap heat. They could fix it, if they wished, but they don't.

I don't understand what you're saying. The CheapHeat system in our 5th wheel doesn't disable the propane furnace. Ours has a rocker switch in the control cabinet with the thermostat that allows the user to select either "Electric" or "Propane" mode for the furnace. I've operated the furnace in both modes.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
More effective at low temperatures maybe. More efficient, no.

There are ways to heat 100% electrically without the cheap heat system while preventing plumbing freeze up while NOT disabling the propane furnace. For me, that is a deal breaker on cheap heat. They could fix it, if they wished, but they don't.

RustyJC wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
No, the cheap heat is not as efficient as a heat pump.

8ntw8tn wrote:
I'd probably go with the Cheap Heat option. I think it would be just as, or more, efficient that the heat pump

Not as efficient in terms of watts converted to BTUs, but more efficient in terms of constant heat output as ambient temperatures fall and heat pump heat outputs drop.

Rusty
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SrFoxmexico
Explorer
Explorer
Yes to all three.
Mobile Suites TK3
Ford F350
www.srfox.net

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
WE "sprung" for the heat pumps on our Suites, so far we like it. We've been here in Door County since Saturday and haven't had to run the the furnace yet. Between the heat pumps and the fireplace heater we're toasty.

I can't say they are or are NOT worth it as we haven't used ours all that much but so far so good. We were told by DRV that below 40 degrees these things become pretty much useless but for us we don't do a lot of really cold camping so the heat pumps made sense to us.

Dan

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I did not have a heat pump option, but do have a heated 'fireplace' So trade off right? The heat pump is great if you use the RV in cooler weather as it would help you reduce your propane use dramatically. But so could two 1500 watt cube heaters depending on the cost of the upgrade.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Once it gets below freezing it's time to start heating your water systems so the cost/efficiency of heating makes no difference.

Well, actually, it still does with the CheapHeat system. With heat pumps, one must go to the propane furnace to heat the basement once temperatures drop below freezing, right? (We are still in the 5th wheel forum, so we're not discussing diesel-fueled Aqua Hot hydronic systems.) With the CheapHeat system, since it heats through the existing furnace ductwork, one still has the choice to heat on electricity versus propane in sub-freezing temperatures.

The CheapHeat system makes sense for us since we're not full-timers and have never run into a situation where our electricity is metered. Therefore, for us, the CheapHeat system is free heat without the added complexity of heat pumps. If our electricity were metered, then it comes down to which is the more economical heating medium, electricity or propane, with appropriate weighting added in for the convenience of not having to refill propane cylinders.

(On Edit) - As TXiceman can attest, I was one of the biggest skeptics of the CheapHeat system around. After living with one, however, I gotta admit that I like it!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

Does anyone know if heat pumps for RV`s use heat strips to allow them to be used in truly cold weather (-37 c)?

No to the question. The manufacturers use a temp sensor on the out door coil that will shut off the compressor when the temperature is too cold. This is usually 40 degF or a bit lower.

Some people claim that they can run their heat pump (reverse cycle A/C) unit down into the mid 20 degF range. It is not going to work much below 40 degF.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, "Do I think it was worth it?" If you are paying for the power.. heck YES. Heat pumps are 2-3 times more efficient than heat strips, even at 35 degrees they are 1.5 to 2 times more efficient. Even if you had a 90+% efficient gas furnace in your RV, instead of the 75-% you are not paying $1.40 (current home propane price) when you get propane is small amounts. Anyone paying less than $2 for propane for your RV?

Once it gets below freezing it's time to start heating your water systems so the cost/efficiency of heating makes no difference.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Home on Wheels wrote:
Before someone corrects me, let me correct myself......once our heat pumps go out, we will not replace with heat pumps. We will only get the A/C.

But an A/C is a heat pump. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sorry, couldn't resist.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk