cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accident...

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
I have not posted in a long time. Had no real reason too, but Monday on my trip out to watch a long weekend of car racing I had the dreaded accident.

I was cruising down a two lane road headed to the racetrack in Sebring, Florida and an elderly woman, age 85, pulled out from a side street right in front of me. I was able to slow down a little, not much though and got her rear quarter panel. Probably totaled her car as it look like he axle snapped.

She said she "did not see me".

Lucky I got her there and not the passenger side door or else she would have been injured. All her air bags went off in the Hyundai and she walked away. Shook up, but no injuries.

My truck took some damage, but the airbag did not deploy. Nothing important seemed loose under the front end and nothing was leaking so I made it the last four miles (yes, I was that close) I had left to go to my destination and had some fun. I also made it back home today.

Now the insurance fun begins...

44 REPLIES 44

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has a blind spot in their vision. One such blind spot in each eye. Sometimes a person can look and think they see everything, but there was something coming and it happened to line up with that blind spot when they looked. That's why it is so important to look twice each way before pulling out.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
that looks like a truck from fords fleet line if so i did not think they came with airbags

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
85,,, maybe time for a chauffeur. Glad you made it to your destination and un-hurt..
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The crumple is what saves you.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I would get those airbags checked when you're getting the front end work done. Seems mighty odd that they didn't go off upon impact (20mph is the low threshold iirc) They could be Takata like mentioned above!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
rambotheshark wrote:
I figured to keep from jackknifing or worse I could only do a real slow deceleration, even if only a few miles per hour before impact and just plow through it. Try to keep everything going straight and come to a controlled stop. Really not much you else can do.

Thank God everyone was OK.
I was just going to say it was a real miracle you didn't meet the tail end of your RV face to face.

IMHO more RV'ers SHOULD have a level head about them like you did when towing and things like this happen.

Good RV driving Kudos! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
cant_remember_ID wrote:
She must have been looking at the "Drive Safely" sign instead of watching traffic.

Glad everyone walked away.

Good one! But I think she was paying attention to the "Hurry" part of the billboard. 🙂

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Yes, thank the Lord that neither of you were hurt.
While I'm sure the price tag to fix the damage to your truck will be substantial, I am surprised that you didn't have more damage to your truck and that you were able to continue to drive it. And thank goodness that you didn't jacknife or have the 5er come loose or tip.

I figured to keep from jackknifing or worse I could only do a real slow deceleration, even if only a few miles per hour before impact and just plow through it. Try to keep everything going straight and come to a controlled stop. Really not much you else can do.

cant_remember_I
Explorer
Explorer
She must have been looking at the "Drive Safely" sign instead of watching traffic.

Glad everyone walked away.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Glad no injuries!!!

Stuff can be repaired/replaced and that is what the insurance is for.

They are called 'accidents'

I'm am a bit surprised that with that damage to front end of your truck the AIR BAGS failed to deploy :H
Thought even the 'advanced frontal' would deploy at speeds above 20 mph

Part of those Takata Recalled Faulty Air Bags......majority of industries used them
I'm not surprised, the only thing damaged looks like the bumper. I found out on my Dodge that even though the bumper looks massive it crumples like tin foil.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, thank the Lord that neither of you were hurt.
While I'm sure the price tag to fix the damage to your truck will be substantial, I am surprised that you didn't have more damage to your truck and that you were able to continue to drive it. And thank goodness that you didn't jacknife or have the 5er come loose or tip.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am glad nobody was hurt!

Thanks for sharing.. it is a good reminder to all of us that we can be doing everything right and still have an accident.

Good thing you were able to slow down...even just a little... reduced the violence of the collision tremendously.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good everyone walked away.... Looks like a new front bumper and your good to go.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad no injuries!!!

Stuff can be repaired/replaced and that is what the insurance is for.

They are called 'accidents'

I'm am a bit surprised that with that damage to front end of your truck the AIR BAGS failed to deploy :H
Thought even the 'advanced frontal' would deploy at speeds above 20 mph

Part of those Takata Recalled Faulty Air Bags......majority of industries used them
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31