cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adhesive Removal for Decals/Graphics

DreamComeTrue
Explorer
Explorer
I live near the Pacific Ocean on the South Oregon Coast. I have a 2010 Cougar Fifth-wheel RV. Because of high winds and driving rain the decals/graphics and stripes on the Cougar have become tattered over the years. I used a heat gun to remove the decals/graphics over two days, but this heavy-duty adhesive is very difficult to remove. I have tried many adhesive (not glue) removers, and the only one that works that does not remove any of the finish is lacquer thinner. It is a tedious job, and I am wondering if anyone has a better idea. Goo Gone and Goof Off don't work at all. Acetone takes off the finish. The heat gun softens the adhesive, but it hardens again almost immediately, and scraping it while warm doesn't work either. I am guessing there are others who don't thank the Cougar makers for this series of RV's because of this adhesive and decals that are guaranteed to shred and peel. I see the newer models (and even the older models) have a totally different way to seal those decals/graphics. I would like to see manufacturers allow buyers to choose not to have any of the graphics.
20 REPLIES 20

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
After removing my decals, some with heat gun and scraper and some with 3M Eraser wheel, I used 3M Adhesive Remover. I used a towel that I had prewetted with remover. Then I held the towel under a section of adhesive while I moved the can of remover across and above that section of adhesive letting the liquid "sheet" down over the adhesive and soak into the towel. Then I used the soaked towel to wipe away the adhesive. The adhesive remover basically melted the adhesive and it wiped off fairly easily. Key is having the towel thoroughly wet with remover.

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
there is a rubber wheel about 4 in in diameter that is specifically made to remove the decals. removes decal with the adhesive.
https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Stickers-Minutes-Wheel-toolkit/dp/B00VFACQRE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539289060&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=decal+remover+eraser+wheel&psc=1&smid=A2EZNOFZAZVR8
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
lacquer thinner and WD40 have both worked for me removing decal adhesive. Both do remove any wax or polish you may have. Also works on black streaks.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Try hot cooking oil.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
It's not just Cougars... We have a Montana, with the same problem, I also took the heat gun approach. and still have quite a bit of adhesive. One of the things I used was 3M adhesive removal along with the heat gun and plastic scraper. Still have a quite a bit to go. If and when I get it all gone, will "Replace with Painted on designs, a fellow camper did that and it looks good and it's more durable. Good Luck, and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats what I have used along with a scraper or a single edge razor blade. Be very careful using a razor blade. You can easily gough the fiberglas.