cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

advice requested for small toy hauler for 2 harley's

y-squared
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2006 lbz GMC sierra(3/4 ton). It has an air bag set up, factory tow package and has that add on computer set up deal with different modes, one of which is 'towing'.

My wife and I found a 21 foot toy hauler that we really liked, but I don't know anything about what to ask, so am researching prior to buying. My research so far has turned up using this forum for educational purposes. I am asking for advice.

It is just my wife and I. I have two medium sized dogs, but they'll ride in the truck. They are tent camping veterans, need no amenities. Plan is they stay in trailer for day rides, they are used to staying in my house for 8 hours while we work. no bark.

We want to haul two Harleys, not full baggers, but Dyna's which probably weigh around 800 lbs each. I have two Kayaks but can use racks on the truck camper shell for that. 60 lbs. each.

We liked the front bedroom, but see no advantage to the island bed. Liked that there was a door on the bedroom, (wife can escape my snoring if need be). She can always just elbow me, too, if she has to.

I must have a decent bathroom, don't want the toilet in the shower.

I would like to be able to dry camp for 3 or 4 days at a time, (2 of us). My wife will shower every day, and encourage me to do so as well.

I don't care about the bed in the back so much, I don't really want to house more than my wife and I. So sleep capacity of 2 would be fine, 4 seems inevitable, more than that a waste.

My wife has what seems to me an over appreciation for counter space, the one we liked really only had the sink covers to use. I hate that this might be a real practical concern. Is it?

I worry about the weight and the durability of any trailer I buy. I will have to pay to park it, (home association rules prohibit at my house), so the more bulletproof the roof the better. should pay extra for covered space, right?

the one we liked had tv and sound system, but is that really a big deal? A good CD player and small TV/dvd player wouldn't cost much, wouldn't that be nearly as good?

it seems to me like the solar recharge is a cool idea, had one to tend my battery on a sail boat. Is it?

Given all this, is this size of trailer viable for my truck and what kind of questions do I need to ask when shopping to avoid as much regret as is possible. I don't like to buy stuff new, but I am facing personal ignorance here, so I could get burned. I am definitely buying a trailer, and will heed advice. Thanks for helping, (if you do).
12 REPLIES 12

Sawdude
Explorer
Explorer
y-squared wrote:
I bought a 2006 lbz GMC sierra(3/4 ton). It has an air bag set up, factory tow package and has that add on computer set up deal with different modes, one of which is 'towing'.

My wife and I found a 21 foot toy hauler that we really liked, but I don't know anything about what to ask, so am researching prior to buying. My research so far has turned up using this forum for educational purposes. I am asking for advice.

It is just my wife and I. I have two medium sized dogs, but they'll ride in the truck. They are tent camping veterans, need no amenities. Plan is they stay in trailer for day rides, they are used to staying in my house for 8 hours while we work. no bark.

We want to haul two Harleys, not full baggers, but Dyna's which probably weigh around 800 lbs each. I have two Kayaks but can use racks on the truck camper shell for that. 60 lbs. each.

We liked the front bedroom, but see no advantage to the island bed. Liked that there was a door on the bedroom, (wife can escape my snoring if need be). She can always just elbow me, too, if she has to.

I must have a decent bathroom, don't want the toilet in the shower.

I would like to be able to dry camp for 3 or 4 days at a time, (2 of us). My wife will shower every day, and encourage me to do so as well.

I don't care about the bed in the back so much, I don't really want to house more than my wife and I. So sleep capacity of 2 would be fine, 4 seems inevitable, more than that a waste.

My wife has what seems to me an over appreciation for counter space, the one we liked really only had the sink covers to use. I hate that this might be a real practical concern. Is it?

I worry about the weight and the durability of any trailer I buy. I will have to pay to park it, (home association rules prohibit at my house), so the more bulletproof the roof the better. should pay extra for covered space, right?

the one we liked had tv and sound system, but is that really a big deal? A good CD player and small TV/dvd player wouldn't cost much, wouldn't that be nearly as good?

it seems to me like the solar recharge is a cool idea, had one to tend my battery on a sail boat. Is it?

Given all this, is this size of trailer viable for my truck and what kind of questions do I need to ask when shopping to avoid as much regret as is possible. I don't like to buy stuff new, but I am facing personal ignorance here, so I could get burned. I am definitely buying a trailer, and will heed advice. Thanks for helping, (if you do).

Specific to your truck and it's hauling ability, but assume its going to haul anything, (within reason), you can put behind it. Understand that with a few mods, these trucks are really popular dragging sleds competitively. I have the same thing in a 3500, and a prowler my wife loads with EVERYTHING. Truck doesn't know it's back there. Its well outfitted as it is to do what you want.

ragenkaw
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of things you can do to a smaller hauler to make it more livable. My wife and I purchased a new '07 Rage'n SS2400 several years back and are constantly coming up with ways to make life more comfortable. Our friends purchased a 21 ' Weekend Warriar about the same time and have made some similar changes.

The Rage'n is a 24' wide body, 8 1/2' wide. Until last year we loaded 2 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcans side by side, a little staggered so handlebars and bags weren't so close. Two years ago I traded my Kaw for a Harley Triglide so now we have to load nose to tail. The wife's Kaw forward with my trike behind.

Some of the changes we made:
-Installed E-track down both sides of interior to make tie-down extremely flexible.
-Built custom wheel chocks to hold the bikes upright no matter what.
-Used the cheap sink covers as patterns and made covers out of cutting boards. Two purposes..cutting boards and additional work space.
-Purchased movable wire racks for all tall cupboards to increase useable space.
-Installed a cargo net over the high TV hole and now use it for lighter stuff life bread, cookies. We put in a wire rack to better utilize the height.
-We built a two legged table for the flat screen TV and use the wheel well as the back two legs. The dogs dish hides under the overhang to stop being kicked.
-With only two of us, we removed the fold up couch and used the holes to mount a more usable table.
-Moved the stops on the lift bed so we don't need the ladder in the lower position.
-Replaced the outside shower with a quick release/flexible spout.
-Added ceiling hung draw curtains to improve privacy when needed.
-Mounted hanger for Flatscreen on exterior.
-Added backer boards to open the pantry to allow higher stacking.
-Added hanging rods over normally unused bed.

All of these things didn't happen at once, but as we saw the need.
-Dry camping for us requires a generator for 110v power as I use a CPAP machine and I do like my TV. If not a built-in. Honda makes several quiet models.
-Use water sparing, showers are wet, scrub, rinse, turning off shower head between.Our Rage'n carries 150 gallons of fresh.
-Use disposable plates and silverware.

We keep looking at larger TH's but have ours close to what we want. Although the larger spaces are tempting...

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Cool 21ft with rear king bed slide with a ten foot deck up front.

I like this 20pack10 or Wolfpack 21wp.

The 20pack10 has over 3300lbs payload vs the predecessor Wolfpack 21wp

Can be optioned with gas cell and 4000w generator.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I think any bumper pull more than 21ft would work for you. The bigger and more amenities you can get from there.

I'd recommend covered storage which gives more protection when you aren't using it (which is most of the time).

I started out with similar intentions and ended up with a 30ft lightweight 5th wheel toy hauler.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a check off list:

http://www.alpinecoachassociation.com/moretech/UsedMotorHomeCheckList.pdf
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
To get two bikes in one you will need at least 8-9ft of room. I can get my ultra in my 8ft truck bed and close the tailgate but on a dyna depending on which model you have you may need a little more room. I also agree with the front bed and being able to walk around it.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I have an idea,

You need to open a beer and sit back, on the porch.

See, problem solved. ๐Ÿ™‚
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your looking at 21 foot I assume your looking at Bumper Pull Toy Haulers. I have had a bunch of Toy Haulers 5 to be exact. We learned something with each one.

A front bedroom is a big plus. If the bed is sideways instead of walk around it is a real pain to make. My wife hated it. Plus you will have to crawl over one another to get in and out. That said if you did go with a walk around bed they take up alot more room.

Your truck can handle a decent size Toy Hauler. You can go as long as you want as long as you stay under about 12,000 gross for your 3/4 ton truck.

Hauling Harley's you will want to think of ramp height. Too steep and you could high center going in and out. You will have to play games with raising the front of the trailer to lesson the ramp height.

Open floor plan or enclosed garage. For me I preferred the enclosed garage. The Bikes are tucked away when your traveling and you don't have to climb over them when you stop for the night. Plus you will have a place to store the bikes in bad weather. When the bikes are out the garage can be used for additional living space with drop down couches, tables, tv etc.

One example if you looking for a front walk around bedroom with a enclosed garage you will be looking at a 30' toy hauler. Sideways bed enclosed garage you would be looking at 25 to 27 foot Toy hauler.

My last Toy Hauler was a Work and Play 30WR. I would look at the Work and Play 30WR 30WRS 275ULSBS. These are low Heavy Duty Toy Haulers where the ramp height is not too tall...

A 30WR or WRS is 30' plus tongue so your looking at 36" total length. It's a big Toy Hauler. It will limit you on where you can park it. Alot of State Parks can't handle a trailer that long. So, you might find the 275ulsbs will be better..

I know these are not small and your looking for small. W&P has models that go all the way down to 18'....

http://www.alrvsales.com/rv/johnson+city+tn/forestriver+traveltrailer/1267/forest+river+work+and+pla...

http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Dave-Arbogast-RV-731466/listing/2016-Forest-River-Work-and-Play-ULTR...

Good Luck..
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Motorcycle wheel chock

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Look at as many trailers as you can stand. Look at all the floorplans and eventually one or more will stand out.

Find out how much trailer your truck can tow then get as much trailer as your truck will tow because as soon as you buy the smaller trailer you'll be wanting a bigger one.

The trailer will handle the bikes just fine; Condor Chocks are great for the tie-down. Dry camping you'll want a generator for the TV, microwave.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Get the front bedroom.
Get more then you think you want.
Get a Honda 2000 generator or a little bigger.

Find what you think you want and then search for that product on Google to see if the price is right.

Look for water damage through out the rig.

Good Luck.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're going to run out of room real quick in a 21' trailer. What if you want to leave the bikes in the trailer when you stop because of bad weather? Do you want to unload the bikes every time you stop to set up beds? I would add at least another 5' to the trailer. You want a full size ramp door at the back, not some small one in the back or on the side. I would start going to rv shows or stopping at the larger dealers to see what suits you. Also, if you want to dry camp, a smaller trailer has smaller fresh water tanks as well. Showers will use up a small tank quick.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS